Winter mods have begun!! Need tuning and porting advice.

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
Here's what I've got,
intake%20017.jpg

intake%20018.jpg

intake%20009.jpg

intake%20010.jpg

intake%20012.jpg

intake%20015.jpg

intake%20016.jpg

Now where should I start? :) My intentions are to just port match the intake to the heads. I wouldn't mind doing a little more to it if anybody has any advice for me. I've never done any porting before so I don't really know where to start...

The plan is to get the motor back together and running then start on the AEM install. I want to switch to a MAP sensor and do away with the MAF. Should I get it running with the MAF first, then switch? Or just go straight to a MAP? Also, how is the wideband O2 installed? Is it added as a third O2 or can it replace one of the stock O2's?

I read through the AEM manually and played with the software a bit. It's all rather confusing right now. :shrug: Would it be possible to pull the info from the tune on my SCT chip and transfer it into the AEM? Or would I be better off starting from scratch?

Attachments

• intake%20018.jpg
    intake%20018.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 98
  • intake%20017.jpg
    intake%20017.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 108
  • intake%20009.jpg
    intake%20009.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 102
  • intake%20012.jpg
    intake%20012.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 95
  • intake%20010.jpg
    intake%20010.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 100
  • intake%20015.jpg
    intake%20015.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 93
  • intake%20016.jpg
    intake%20016.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Sponsors (?)

oh ****. I guess this means you don't need a tweecer now? Glad your trying to make some progress. Wes can probably help you out better but I don't think you can take a tune from one tuner and transfer it to another.

Good luck man. Wish I could be more help to ya

Nope, decided to skip past the tweecer and move up to the big stuff. :) Plus I got a pretty sweet deal on the AEM. It's for a fox body, but I should be able to re-pin the harness and it'll work just fine. If I can't make the car run right now then I'm done with it.

I remember watching the guy tune my car and the SCT software looks very similar to the AEM software. If nothing else, it should just be a bunch of numbers that I can re-enter manually in the AEM software. I just need to get them off the SCT first.

I'd go straight to the MAP - the tuning software is "sorta" similar but you will find AEM much easier than working in the Ford calibration. If you can grab some dyno time on a LOADED dyno after you figure out how the fueling tuning works you will be able to quickly dial it in.

Give me a shout if you need help translating the SCT chip into AEM-esque or just overall questions. While the factory PCM is very good (if you can tune it) speed density systems are also a lot of fun and produce great results.

Wes

I was thinking with switching to the MAP system it might be best to start from scratch anyways. I would just like to have a general idea of what's in there now. I'm pretty happy with the WOT tuning, it's just the driveability problems I want to fix.

I've got one side of the intake done. My die grinder is a pos that doesn't work for more than a minute at a time so I just used an electric drill. As it turns out with everything I do, it's more work than I was expecting. :rolleyes:

Here's the side I haven't started on yet.
intake%20021.jpg

And the finished side
intake%20020.jpg

Closer up
intake%20022.jpg

intake%20023.jpg

So am I doing ok so far?

Attachments

• intake%20021.jpg
    intake%20021.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 82
  • intake%20020.jpg
    intake%20020.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 99
  • intake%20023.jpg
    intake%20023.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 100
  • intake%20022.jpg
    intake%20022.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 103
Looking good! I LOVE my AEM. Don't waste anytime even messing with the MAF, go straight to speed density. I run an AEM wideband and use it as my only O2 sensor. The factory ones are now disabled. I don't remember what you change to do this though as I haven't messed with it for months, if I do I'll let you know. I used the 5v wire from my EGR that I deleted as the power for the MAP sensor.

Looking good! I LOVE my AEM. Don't waste anytime even messing with the MAF, go straight to speed density.

Agreed

I run an AEM wideband and use it as my only O2 sensor. The factory ones are now disabled. I don't remember what you change to do this though as I haven't messed with it for months, if I do I'll let you know.

I just cut the wires for the NB O2 sensors and connected the WB O2 into the left sensor wire (pin 43 for both the 30-1400 and 1401 AEM). You should not use the NB bung as it's too close to the header and the extra heat will kill the WB sensor. If you have the stock H pipe with cats you will either need to remove one of the cats or install an OR pipe so as to locate the O2 sensor further downstream.

I used the 5v wire from my EGR that I deleted as the power for the MAP sensor.

Pin 65 on both the 1400 and 1401 is the available MAP sensor input for speed density. Makes life easier if it is used IMHO.

I got everything back together tonight. I just need to wait for the RTV to set up, then hopefully it'll be running tomorrow night. :)

Then as soon as I get my MAP sensor in and the O2 installed I'll start on the AEM.

Got it fired up and let it run til it was warm. No leaks(that weren't there before) and it idled fine after a minute. Right now my driveway is a giant mudhole so I didn't take it out on the road. I was hoping it would dry up soon, but it looks like we're supposed to get some rain later this week. :(

i hear that...past couple days have been an indian summer and its killing me not to take the car out but the roads are still caked with salt.

port job came out great Mike