Wiper Delay problem

illwood

Apr 3, 2004
Worcester, MA
The windshield wipers on my '94 GT have been giving me some strange problems. I've only had the car for 3 weeks so I don't know how long it has been happening. When I turn my wipers on to the delay position the wipers will wipe once and then wait what seems like an eternity before wiping again (even in the fast delay position). When I go to the constant slow or fast position they are still a little flaky and seem to groan at the slow speed. Also when I am on the delay setting, tapping the directional stick with my fingers will cause the wipers to wipe. If I'm on the longest delay, I can keep the wipers going as if they were on constant slow if I keep drumming on the stick.

I was about to call this a bad wiper delay box, but here's the weird part. If the directional stick is pushed forward for hi-beams. The problem goes away. The wipers work fine for all settings of delay and for both constant settings. Tapping the directional stick won't start the wipers moving if the switch is in the hi-beam position. My buddy with a '95 Ranger is having the same problem. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)