Woman runs red light...my car hit...$9000 later...still a problem...help!

fubu85

Apr 20, 2003
Hey guys. Six weeks ago my car was hit dead on and almost totaled. The whole front end was ripped off and my car was smashed. The sides were misaligned and there was even frame damage (frame damage was so minimal insurance said it was within the fixing range)...Anyways six weeks and $9000 later my car runs great and handles great but doesnt sound great.

There is a loud deep vibration noise coming from under the car. It sounds like metal being pushed on and stressed. Its almost like a loud deep creaking. This only happens in 1st and 2nd gear when im going slow and have low RPM's...my car is a 2000gt (manual). The repair guy said this noise is normal and should go away once the car settles in a week or two. So far it has been 2 days no improvement. What do you think??????

• Sponsors (?)

Yea thats what i wanted but my car has such low miles on it (60k) for a 2000gt that they had a hard time finding the value of my car lol...has anyone else had this problem?

fubu85 said:
Yea thats what i wanted but my car has such low miles on it (60k) for a 2000gt that they had a hard time finding the value of my car lol...has anyone else had this problem?

60k isn't that low. You should of made the body shop check over EVERYTHING for damage and gotten a quote on how much it COULD cost... could have been very high.

I don't think its a good thing that sound, it will probably go away as the metal seats itself, but nonetheless not great.

This might not be an option for you but Id try getting rid of that car. Youll start noticing other thigs goin wrong. My dad, a couple of years ago, was in an accident and he had it fixed. He had minor problems whith it after wards which then then led to bigger ones and it all came back to his accident. My mom had a 300 C and a lady was mowing he lawn and hit a chunk of steel ( they were doing constuction) about the size of a baseball and flung it into her back passenger side door. She had it patched and then kept having problems with the paint and the spot where the door got hit had a weird shape. So she decided to replace the door then the door didnt shut right and the pait was off. She had a limited edition and a special color. So she finaly traded it in and bought a 300C SRT8 (SWEET).

Anyways like I said you might want to look into another stang if you can.

:stupid:

Spot on. Call your agent, tell them you're bringing it back in. Then bring it in, with the receipt of the work they did, tell them the problem, tell them to fix it. If they give you any grief, tell them to call your insurance agent.

you should take it to a shop somewhere and get an estimate and figure out what the noise is. Then take it to your insurance company, let them know it wasn't there before the wreck and that you are not satisfied. make them do something about it

Should have been totalled, a "little" unibody frame misalignment/damage is like being a little pregnant. On a unibody car, if the unibody frame is in any way not straight I cannot stand to drive the car :(

Unload it, the insurance company should have already taken it off your hands :notnice:

repairs

:nono:
Do not let anyone fool you, wrecked cars CAN be made like new. But mind you this is not cheap or easy. I have been a mechanic for 20 years and have worked on everything from lawn mowers to 150,000 pound bulldozers. Your car did not make noises when it was new, so something is wrong. Either a damaged component was not replaced or was impoperly installed. Take it back NOW! My car was almost totaled a few years back. I did all of the work myself except for the frontend alignment and the paint. It handles better, has fewer squeaks and noises, and is straighter than it was before the wreck. I replaced EVERYTHING that may have been damaged, and spent way more time than even the factory to make sure it was exact. Money was no object and the person doing the work (me) was not paid by the hour to finish a job.

sell it. and sell it fast. I understand that it wan't your foult, but now car is dmged, and if your car is fixed only been for short period of time, and your having an issue already, chances are you'll have bigger issue down on the road.

Sell it fast, and cut your loss small sas you can

fubu85 said:
Thanks for the responses guys. Im not going to wait a couple weeks ima take the car back in tomorrow...hopefully they can fix it right this time:notnice:
Try to get the problem worked out.If it needs more work the shop should bill the insurance company for hidden damage and complete the repair.Also disregard everyones suggestions to bail out and sell. That would be your last resort.Concentrate on correcting what you have.

xseler8 said:
disregard everyones suggestions to bail out and sell. That would be your last resort.Concentrate on correcting what you have.

As much as I like to say the samething, one must consider something here.

He has frame dmg. Small or otherwise. I don't care what they say about fixing frame or what not. u have frame issue, there is no such thing as "had" frame issue. In old days of full framed car, I think frame could have fixed, as frame itself is an independed entity. But in modern days of unibody. EVERYTHING on the car is part of the frame, or attached to the body, which IS frame itself. even small amount of misaligment on unibody can cause host of probrems, such as not driving straight, uneven wear on tire, not perfect stance, door not shutting right, air leak at the speed, noise, graind, etc...
U have to understand Unibody is stronger ultimately then full frame, because unibody distribute load over much bigger area then full framed car, which also means that given same area, unibody is much weaker then full framed car

think of it this way.

this supports the entire weight of the car.....
Corvette-full_frame.jpg

meaning Frame itself(which is like 4"X2" box steel welded to what resembls ladder).
where as in Unibody, this is what supports the entire load. wuch is much much bigger area, thus, sheet metal itself can be something really thin
unibody_rx.jpg

correct me if i'm wrong. But i would bail. and get something with less mile, and more power(Cobra anyone?), that you know hasn't been whacked