Won't start

harryo007

Feb 20, 2004
I just recently put a Wieand Stealth and an Edelbrock 4bbl on my 65. I had some old gas in the tank and thought that was the prob. so I drained that and purged the fuel line. I also replaced the plugs, but the thing still won't start. If I spray ether down the intake it will start, but it won't idle. I think the carb is properly installed and I can't think of anything else I could check. The timing marks were lined up so I don't think that is it. Does anyone have any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

If it starts by spraying ether, then it sounds like a fuel delivery problem and not a timing/spark problem. Are you sure you are getting gas to the carb? You can disconnect the fuel line to the carb and run it into a catch can and crank the starter over a few times as an easy test. Best to check the basics first!

:bang: Yea if your not getting fuel into your carb thats the problem..
i recently had a problem with my firends 66 coronet 383 engine the cam lob died over the years he wanted to sell the engine but he wanted to get it started to sell it.. well we ended up buying a new electric fuel pump and fuel tank.. it costed alot of money but we got it working... check the carb to see if there is a clog in it from rust or bag gas check all the fuel lines to see if fuel gose out....
Good luck :ban:

with the car off look down the carb and see if there is fuel squirting when you hit the accelerator.

did you hook up the fuel line to the side of the carb or to the front of the carb between the adjusted screws...

the fuel line hook up is the on the passenger side of the carb(car) and the vacuum line is on the front (stock) and should have a plug in the back of the carb. i have seen someone put the fuel line into the vacuum port by installing everything too quickly...it happens!

just want to cover every possibility...