Worst injury you've ever received?

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
Well probably not my worst, but still pretty bad. I managed to accidentally stick a sheetrock saw through my hand yesterday. It was laying on the slab, and I went to pick it up, well my foot caught the edge of it right as I grabbed for it, and it snapped up and right through my hand. :bang: It went in right next to the thumb (in the palm area) next to the muscle and come out between one of my veins and bone. Luckily the doctor said I didn't sever the nerve branch right there, but he said I might have damaged it, since I can't feel a whole lot in my thumb and forefinger. I had to get a tetanus shot and some antibiotics. It's a real bummer, cus it made wiring my shift light today extremely difficult, lol. It also makes typing a real PITA, lol. Here's some pics of the saw for you non-costruction guys.

attachment.php

attachment.php

EDIT: Dangit, just realized this was in tech. Sorry guys! Reposted it here

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=5169270#post5169270

EDIT: Think I fixed the pics.

• Sponsors (?)

My worst injury doesn't even come close to this, so I won't even dare post it here. I have done drywall on a few odd jobs and I have couple of sheetrock saws. I am envisioning a keyhole saw. Small about 8-11 inches long. Jagged as all hell.

Holy ****e. That musta hurt... Batman.

It's not tech, but you managed to get me to cringe when I read it.

My worst injury resulted in me actually getting tetanus. A rusty crafting needle (during a camping trip) got jabbed into my hand (not the pointy end). X-rays showed the eye of the needle. After about 12 hours I got a real bad fever and had to be hospitalized. Turns out I had tetanus which is apparently fairly rare.

My second worst happened last year. I was putting a new wood floor in my dining room and was finishing the final piece. I had to chisel the final piece to custom fit it to transition from the dining room to the kitchen cleanly. After a couple minutes, the chisel slipped and jabbed me in the hand. Blood went everywhere and it really tore up the skin. Several stiches later, all was well. No harm done thankfully.

The worst part was when I had to pull the saw out. I lifted my hand and it was haning there. I pulled it out, and it actually poured fat tissue with it. :notnice: Then it started actually squirting blood! Not a pretty sight. Are my pics showing up?

Fushnicken, you are right, I hear others call it a keyhole saw a lot too. :nice:

Car Nut said:
Who's up for some air hockey? :)

Not me!! lol, I'm surprised somebody recognized that. :nice:

super302 said:
I got nailed with a baseball in the nose

Done that, I broke it.

Split my chin open when I was 4, fell off some sort of riding toy and smacked the sidewalk. 4 stitches.

Broke my left knee when I was 8 skiing, caught an edge going over a jump.

Broke my right big toe when one of our horses stepped on it when I was 12ish.

Broke my right clavical (shoulder bone) when I was 15 skateboarding, also had a concussion and was unconscious for an hour or so. Then in and out of consciousness for a few hours after that. I was hospitalized for a little bit.

Tore the muscles behind my left shoulder blade when I was 17.

Broke my nose playing baseball when I was 17.

Now I stuck a saw through my hand, lol.

I was playing baseball with friends at second base. One of my leather straps that held the index finger and middle finger together had snapped, but I played with my broken equipment anyhow. Kids can be so dumb sometimes. The guy at first base threw the ball to me (very... very... fast) to try and tag another friend or ours out.

Can you guess what happend next.....????

Ball hits glove between fingers, ball passes through glove without lossing much velocity, ball hits second baseman in mouth. Knocks three of second basemans top front teeth into the roof of ones mouth.

Seconds baseman is spitting up red stuff yelling at his friends to grab his skateboard for him as he hauls arse towards his house down the street. Blood was gushing ridiculously out of my mouth.

I had braces on at the time. A dentist simply numbed me up, pulled my teeth back out by hand and rebraced my mouth after checking that everything was still salvagable via x-ray.

None of my roots died. My smile looks perfectly straight today and my teeth are all perly white. PURE LUCK!!!

Funny side note: The guy at first base locked himself up in his house. He thought I was going to get the police to arrest him and he thought that my parents were going to take him to court and take his families money. - Never happened. It was my fault and the cost got wrapped up into my pre-existing dental work in progress.

There is a moral in my story somewhere.

Like don't use broken/faulty equipment or something... :)

It's almost like, "don't use the wrong tool for the right job". Like using a aluminum ladder, resting in a swimming pool, to change a lightbulb. I am sure some of you have seen that e-mail float by your inbox at one time or another.

fushnicken said:
Funny side note: The guy at first base locked himself up in his house. He thought I was going to get the police to arrest him and he thought that my parents were going to take him to court and take his families money. - Never happened. It was my fault and the cost got wrapped up into my pre-existing dental work in progress.
:rlaugh:

I was just climbing into a small platform tree stand 8 years ago when I heard deer rustling below me on the hill spooked by my sounds. The bow was still hanging on the string and when I stepped onto the platfrom I immediately started looking for the deer in the shrubs. I didn't notice that my last foot on the stand was half on the stand and half off. When I put weight on that foot and leaned over that side loking for movement, my ankle rolled over and I fell off the stand 15 feet. I did a half tumble and my right leg hit the ground first shattering my right hip/leg connection (asetabulume) (sp?) and I then folded in half with such force that it crushed my L3 spinal bone. I was about 100 yars into the woods behind my house downhill. When I came to, I found I could not get up and my back was in tremendous pain and I could feel my right hip was shattered and stuff just grinding around in there when I treid to move. I pulled myseld out of the woods with my hands while laying on my back by using my palms to move about 6" at a time. When I got cl;ose to the neighbors yard, I could hear his kids playing and I called to them about my injury. They went and got their dad and he called 911. 3 Weeks later I was discharged from the hospital with undiagnosed deap vien thropmboisis in both legs (clogged/coagulated viens). After one day at home my legs were aching and I asked my wife to massage my legs. That coused a large clot to break loose which traveled to my lungs and blocked blood flow to them (pulmanory embolosim) which kills most people that have them. I managed to survive another 911 ride to the hospital and my thromnosis was cleared with blood thining drugs admistered in the ER.

I am very fortunate to be alive. Lots of people asked me if I would bow hunt from a tree again. I saide SURE. I undersatand the mistake I made and it won't happen again. I always use a safety belt and got distracted that time before I put it on. I also ask them if they ever had an auto accident and if it made them stop driving.

Ugh. I've been lucky enough to avoid serious injury, so far, but I had a similar injury to yours. I got poked through the hand by a large, pointy knife. I managed to pull my hand back before it totally punctured the skin on the other side. I had a hole on one side and what looked a lot like a bruise on the other side. Not very pleasant but nothing like that nasty bastard you got poked with.

Wow, TMoss you're officially the second person I have heard of falling out of a tree stand and hurting themselves badly. My girlfriends father is the biggest deer hunter I know, and the same thing happened to him, except he had screw in pegs for steps and the very last one before he got into his stand gave way and he came crashing down. Then he did the whole crawl 6" at a time for about an hour crossing a 60 acre field when a another hunter spotted him. He immediately went to help him and then took him to the hospital. Shattered ankle, they had to put a series of clamps and screws into his ankle and then sent him home after about a week in the hospital. His doctor went on vacation and left instructions with the nurse to change his bandages twice a day until he got back. Well, she only came to the house once a day, skipping some days and then one day she came out and removed them and it smelled terrible. His skin was ROTTING! Turns out he got staff infection and the doctor was called to come back from vacation and they had to completely remove all of the tissue to the bone and strip some off his back side and redo all of the clams/screws. They thought they were going to possibly remove his leg if they saw any signs of it spreading. Anyways, a week later it came back and he had to have it done a thrid time (because he refused to let them take his leg off) and it finally healed... sort of. He walks with a bad limp and has a nasty scar from the ordeal. The tissue is so sensative and fragile that one time he dropped a plastic bottle of ketchup on his leg and it ripped the skin back. He's back hunting just like you, but he's too stubborn to wear a safety belt. However, he now mainly hunts from ground blinds and ladder stands though, so at least he learned something. I were my belt all the time, I have seen what its like and don't want to have that happen. Oh, and my worst injury was either a hernia (don't know what caused it), broken nose (I was a catcher in baseball, foul ball in BP when I was shagging balls with no mask), and 7 stitches in my big toe (running up a wooden dock and slipped) which almost ripped the entire piece of flesh from the bottom of my toe, I could fold it back and see bone, not a good feeling or sight!

had a 2 1/2 inch finish nail shot through my pinky finger and that hurt.i can imagine how bad that hole saw felt.ive also shattered my eye socket and broke my jaw in three places,tore my ACL and MCL,torn acillies tendon,seperated shoulder,ripped my calf muscle off the bone,broke a couple ribs,just about every finger i have has been broken or dislocated.i get hurt so often that pain isnt an issue with me anymore.