wow powershifting is cool

I power shifted my 91 S-10 with a 2.5 all the time and could chirp tires 2nd 3rd and 4th with no probs. Sometimes I didn't use the clutch for a few days then I would say I should use the clutch so I don't wreck the tranny. Then a day or so later I would do the same thing.

It was funny to see the look on peoples faces when you pull up to a Grand Prix or a Camaro and stay beside them and bark the tires for 4 gears. some poeple even stoped to ask how hard it was to put a V8 in it I just laughed and said it's a 2.5. They would say why would you put a shift kit in that then and I say to them it's a 5 speed learn how to drive and stop tryin to race people in Mommy's car.

• Sponsors (?)

5.0droptop that looks exactly like my last t5, and it happened the exact same way (except i was already in third, just pushed the gas a bit up to like 1/3 throttle to accelerate. third gear for teh win

Sucks dont it. I wish I could say I abused the trans but I didnt. It was behind a slow butt 306 in my 66 coupe. i never abused it.

Roland69 said:
I power shifted my 91 S-10 with a 2.5 all the time and could chirp tires 2nd 3rd and 4th with no probs. Sometimes I didn't use the clutch for a few days then I would say I should use the clutch so I don't wreck the tranny. Then a day or so later I would do the same thing.

It was funny to see the look on peoples faces when you pull up to a Grand Prix or a Camaro and stay beside them and bark the tires for 4 gears. some poeple even stoped to ask how hard it was to put a V8 in it I just laughed and said it's a 2.5. They would say why would you put a shift kit in that then and I say to them it's a 5 speed learn how to drive and stop tryin to race people in Mommy's car.

Words of wisdom. My buddy was ticked 10 years ago when my stock 86 kept up with his then "brand new" 93 coupe with exhaust... haha- I was like "learn to drive fool!"

5.0Droptop said:
Sucks dont it. I wish I could say I abused the trans but I didnt. It was behind a slow butt 306 in my 66 coupe. i never abused it.

that tranny was hell to me though, rebuilt it last summer and frankensteined mine and a j/y tranny (cluster shaft went bye bye) then had to pull it apart again a few months later when it got stuck in fourth (it was doing it a lot and did up until it busted this last time, but that particular time i tried to yank it out and it broke some of the slider mechanism) then it did this and i said **** this t5 i'm gettin something better. i did powershift that trans occasionally, mainly when showing off how i could chirp third :nonono:

the moral of the story- stock t5 + powershifting = death

my import buddy was in the car when i blew third this last time, this loud pop noise happened then the familiar clunking. he's all "what was that?" "....that, my friend, is torque :D"

<---- You had to see me coming into this one...

Im not sure what you people do to these trannies, but I have been powershifting (at the track) for a few years now and have had zero issues. Before I ever powershifted my trannys second gear synchro was worn and got that fixed, and since then havent had an issue. I have missed a couple gears here and there and not once had a hiccup.

Now whether its the norm or not, who knows, but mine and my dads T5 (he has a proshifted one now) have lasted well into the 12s being powershifted all the time. Actually a lot of my friends powershifted their stock T5s with no issue...

I will say this, run a weak clutch. Clutchs are easier to replace than trannies!

Not sure, I have a FMS HD clutch in mine (went through one already) and it is starting to show signs of slipping like the last one. I might step up to a better clutch, but before I do that I am going to start getting ready for a new tranny!

I only powershift at the track but it helps sooo much, gives you about .3 seconds. It really dosent feel hard o my tranny at all, it goes by so fast the revs dont even have time to go up, i NEVER do it on the street though, without the slicks it would be pointless, and just on the street it would be pointless

I shifted into 3rd and it sounded like something grenaded and it started grinding and jerking etc. I said this 4 times this summer and it sucked every time. I got real used to the first second forth type excelleration

HoodStrype said:
Words of wisdom. My buddy was ticked 10 years ago when my stock 86 kept up with his then "brand new" 93 coupe with exhaust... haha- I was like "learn to drive fool!"
that reminds me of the people with tons of boltons running 15.4, we all know what the problem is... im not trying to put anyone down dont get me wrong.
i think it comes down to the people you grew up with. my friends older brothers would take me for rides in thier mustangs and hard a$$ powershifting is how they drove so.... thats what i drive, and thats how i drive em. sometimes:D

My borther and I both have had no problems with power shifting our T-5's. We do it on the 1-2 shift and the 3-4 shift. Lift shift on the 2-3. Almost everyone I know that has broke a T-5 has done it power shifting the 2-3 shift. The only exception being a guy at the track who had a centerforce dual friction clutch managed to grenade his T-5 on the 1-2 shift, but those clutches have alot more holding power than the King Cobra clutches most people I know run.