Wrong Year... Right Part?

I've got a 2002 Mustang GT with a 4.6l that I just replaced the thermostat on. Problem is, when I got a new thermostat (195) at Advanced Auto it wasn't the same as the one I pulled out... it had a longer spring-loaded base. So I took it back... had them recheck the part number... and ended up with a thermostat for a 2003 4.6l which looks like the one I pulled out. (Mfg date for my car is 11/01.)

Has anyone else encountered this? Did the originial owner have the wrong thermostat in there to begin with? Are you supposed to "push down" on the thermostat just to install it?? Will having the "wrong part" cause any problems down the road?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

all SOHC's have used the same thermostats since 1991, did the orinigal say "notorcraft" on it? it would if it were Ford, along wth a stamp #. since you bought an aftermarker one it will NOT lok like the OEM 'stat, will it work as good as Ford's...........no comment here:D

Thanks! I'll check tonight to see if the old one was the original Ford part or not. I replaced it because of a P0125 code and hard starting/no starting in the mornings. As long as the code doesn't come back and she continues to start in the morning I guess it doesn't matter which thermostat it is. :nice: