X-PIPE made my 5.0 sound like a modular 4.6

LOL. atleast it sounds similiar to my buddies but maybe thats just because we both have X pipes, i think i findly understand the difference between the X and H pipe sound under acceleration. X pipe really does give it that bit of more smooth sounding exotic note. when paired with my magnaflow catback it really made the exhaust note sound more throaty and have like my car has some more balls behind it. Now it sounds cool but its not revving fast enough to really sound like its mean so i know i need gears next. But I do recommond an offroad X pipe as a first mod. totally changes the driving experience. I will also note that getting rid of 4 cats also seems to be help the 5.0;s powerband as i dont feel that flatwall anymore around 5k where power usually dies off(atleast with the cobra engine setup). And you guys can definately count on some exhaust clips, i mite start working on those tomorrow. which is the other reason i posted this thread so possibly donjohn will see it and i can later send him a vid to be hosted on his exhaust page. Oh and BTW its the UPR x-pipe, 172.shipped to my front door :) I think it hangs a tad lower then the factory H-pipe which i even scraped over some bumps b4

• Sponsors (?)

Some people like the X, some like the H. I think with the right mods an X-Pipe can sound pretty badass. With minimal mods an H-pipe definately gives it a "beefier" sound.

There was this guy with a 98 Cobra with an extensive mod list who put on an X-Pipe. The sound was insane.

I still have the stock h-pipe and straight pipes w/ side exits. it sounds great. But tommorrow Im ditching the side pipes for dumped straight pipes. The side pipes rub too much since I lowered the car. I bent on of the today pulling it on the lowest lift at the place where Im getting it done. They were going to do it today but wasted too much time and I had to go to school.

The 5.0 and 4.6 are distinctive, but the X certainly does have a tone similar to 4.6, I really like my X

I think the 5.0 sounds bad ass, but I also think a 4.6 can be set up to sound aswesome too, especially the 4-dippers

The Green GT said:
I met a guy with a '98 Cobra a few days ago and he said he wants to get a 5.0 just for the sound.

You cant imitate a pushrod sound with a mod motor.

haha im not sure because i only can compare the 4.6 with other pushrod v8s, but i am unaware of any other overhead cam v8s that people usually modify the exhaust systems.

I really like the more crisp high pitched sounding tone of the Xpipe on my car. Doesn't sound bulky droney or deep.

Sounds more exotic, or smooth as mentioned above.

What brand did you go with. Summit has some for cheaaap but I'm afraid they won't fit very well. I'd rather not have to take it to a shop to have it installed. Because technically its illegal for them to touch it.

MustangGT95 said:
Will an X give better HP as well? I am going to ditch my stock H soon and I can't decide if I want an H or X. Right now I am leaning towards the H because they are cheaper.

hold out till u can hear my exhaust setup, i may be able to get some clips up tomorrow. and ditch the flow masters in the process,haha jk. just choose design on whatever sound type you desire but i mite had their are some awesome xpipe and flowmaster sound clips that are availible on the net & donjohns exhaust page. ive heard others say the X does provide maybe only 1-2more ponies, but ill take everything i can get,heh

SeventyMach1 said:
My Summit H pipe fit very good. It was cheap. It sounds great.

And do the install yourself. Very easy.

theirs actually two bolts, one on each bank of the engine which connects to the shorties which isn't exactly a straight shot for loosing. Id imagine this would also be pretty hard for some to get those bolts loose specially if its never been taken off given the position. I just had my best friend do the install since he has a shop with a lift and all the tools, figured he could just do it faster and easier then me.

igotyofire said:
i am unaware of any other overhead cam v8s that people usually modify the exhaust systems.

LOL. One time I thought I heard a 4.6 Mustang driving by, and when I looked it was an SHO. That thing sounded mean. One of my friends was like, "Was that a Taurus?!!" so I had to explain.

Good to know man. You're lucky, I have do to emissions and I'm swapping back my stock H pipe and it will stay on the car for a couple months cause my dad is being a dick. I just love giving it some gas and people walking down the sidewalk ahead of me turning around to see what made that noise.

I'll never forget the time I was in a neighborhood and I was behind these 2 kids riding on their razor scooters and I put it in neutral and gave it a few revs. One of them fell over and the other one turned around like he had just heard a monster. Reminded me of those train horn videos.