X pipe question / cats or no cats ?

streetstang03 said:
you are obviously looking in the wrong place for chicks
Nahhh, girls just don't have the same appreciation for Mustangs like guys do. Especially Fox's like mine. They're too loud, rough and smelly. They like the "prettier look" of the SN-95's

I know dozens of girls that would take a Tiburon over a Mustang any day. Friggin estrogen!?! :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

Catless sounds better, is cheaper, makes more power, and you wont scrape the balls out of them if your car is lowered as much as mine. :bang: I wish I'd gone cat-less even though we do have emissions testing here.

The power gain is negligible. You'll never notice the 1 or 2 extra horsepower you'd gain going from a high flow pipe to an O/R one. Sound is going to be a personal preference, but I find the a good aftermarket cat back still creates a nice rumble with a catted pipe. And lowering....well most cats only take about an 1" to an 1 1/2" from your ground clearance. You'd have to have her pretty low over so pretty high speed bumps to be banging them all of the time.

They're all pretty comparable. Bassani's are nice because they're stainless, Mac Pro-Chambers have a nice rumble and are cheaper, Dr. Gas has a higher pitch tone because of their cross over location.

You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Gearbanger 101 said:
...The power gain is negligible. You'll never notice the 1 or 2 extra horsepower you'd gain going from a high flow pipe to an O/R one...

What he said - the debate between "cats & no cats" is a moot point, unless you are making some REALLY wild horsepower, as in forced induction applications (then the off-road pipe MAY prove to be less of a restriction for the exhaust system). :cheers:

twogts4us said:
I'm with Gearbanger and WhiteStang on this one. The sound difference isn't that much with a good aftermarket X (or H) pipe with low restriction, high flow cats as opposed to a stinky O/R X. I don't have emissions testing here either, but we had a pair of Magnaflow cats welded into my wife's O/R H on her 01 GT...the sound difference was minimal, the power difference wasn't even noticable, but the smell difference was huge!
My 02 GT is getting a catted X or H...still can't decide which one...but I'm poor right now, so it really doesn't matter much! I'm leaning toward the www.pypesexhaust.com catted X (the same thing that MustangTuning sells)
X pipe for stock manifolds/shorties - $315 catted, $392 catted & ceramic coated (sweeeet!)

i was wondering how upr o/r and slp sound....caus im leaning to upr or pypes..and i dont know which one to pic???

so if u can tell me if its a good sound with upr or bad!???

007 said:
Catless sounds better, is cheaper, makes more power, and you wont scrape the balls out of them if your car is lowered as much as mine. :bang: I wish I'd gone cat-less even though we do have emissions testing here.

Wow things change in two years. I cant believe I wrote that!!1!1!! I could never be bothered with worrying about inspections or getting pulled over because I didnt have cats. I still think off-road sounds better though, unless they are paired with really loud muffs and then they sound like ****.

streetstang03 said:
dont go w. bassani or BBK if you plan on running the pipe w/ chambered mufflers. Bassani and BBK + chambered mufflers = rasp city :nonono:

if using chambered mufflers, stay w/ Dr. Gas, Mustangtuning, UPR, VRS :nice:

ok so what should i go with then...

im runnin slp lm1's

whyask said:
were do you live...??? (emmissions)
Bottom Line: you like race track smell= catless
you dont like it track smell= cats

well i live in texas and this emission thing sucks...

but if i go with an o/r x then ill just get mil's and its over!!!

but yea... i want a good x-pipe...if yall have clips of pypes ,upr , or prochamber...with slp lm1's!!

03MaCh1nE said:
well i live in texas and this emission thing sucks...

but if i go with an o/r x then ill just get mil's and its over!!!

but yea... i want a good x-pipe...if yall have clips of pypes ,upr , or prochamber...with slp lm1's!!

If you have an LM1, your gonna want a catted mid-pipe unless you like a stupid loud and raspy exhaust.

I would go with the SLP X pipe and get both the cats and the race pipes, that way YOU can decide what you like better, cats or no cats.