01-04 Functional Hood Scoop....

• Sponsors (?)

anything can be done. shouldnt be that hard. only negatives are more speeding tickets because you'll be going faster with the ram air. lol.

i think you might need to fasten the hoodscoop down better so it doesnt blow off. get a hood scoop and i have a stock 99-00 GT hood to put it on :)

the only thing i really dislike about these cars is the abundance of non functional "vents" on the car. get a 03 cobra hood and be done with it or do a mach1 stylee shaker if ya really want "ram" air.

oh and it really ain't ram air. if you want ram air buy a blower.

were did you get your inserts...??

It can be done, BUT, the rain will get in to your engine bay and over time build up alot of rust. Someone did a stock 03 gt hood scoop and made it work but it looked like azz and rusted out half his engine bay...

it's already functional...it's function is to make the car look better ;)

seriously, what exactly do you want the scoop to do?...it's nowhere near the actual air intake for the engine, and by the time you'd plumb it to the air-box you'd have lost most of the advantage of the scoop (see the Mach1 scoop for example)

It is normal to want to make your stock hood scoop functional. It is wrong to actually do so...

It's a bad idea. There are no positives, only negatives.

There was a post here last year by a guy who did this. He daily drove it so in the rain, water would go into the scoop. He ended up having to replace 3 or 4 coil packs due to water damage and when he took his spark plugs out there were completely rusted up. He had other water damage as well.

It will make the top of your motor filthy as hell as well.

Also, the scoop is too low in the airstream to do much good. Mach 1 guys have to lift their scoops up just to grab fresh air. The scoop is low for aerodynamic reasons. Also, the grill being closed off is for aerodynamic reasons as well. If you were to open up the grill or remove the insert, you would actually create more drag on your car.

In other words...leave it alone

opening up my scoop helped me,it blows air right on the air intake/rear of blower,lowering my ait's by sometimes 15 deg's on hot day's.I am making a soft rubber insert that is easy to install on those rainy day's.it also allows trapped heat to dissapate when shut down. have not noticed any negative effects,Glad I did it,looks good too

it's already functional...it's function is to make the car look better ;)

seriously, what exactly do you want the scoop to do?...it's nowhere near the actual air intake for the engine, and by the time you'd plumb it to the air-box you'd have lost most of the advantage of the scoop (see the Mach1 scoop for example)

What are you talkin about, my shaker scoop adds like 50 hp or so!!!LOL:nice:

I am the one who did it and yes it caused a few problems...........but there were soulutions.....

1. It will cause rain to enter the bay.....it wasn't good with the stock boots on the COP's....they didn't seal well.....found a fix

2. It fouled out 1 coil plugs because the spark plugs got soaked......the coil was grounding out because the plug got wet.........I bought a set of Granitelli COP boots and wires......lets just say I pressure wash my engine weekly and no water gets past these baby's......

3. You have to make a small center piece to hold the scoop in place otherwise it will bow and pull away.......

4. It definately keeps the engine bay cooler when freeway driving.......would probably work well with a roots style blower...........

Honestly.......i wouldn't do it again, but it works great if you do it right and get the silicon boots for the plugs......they are slightly larger and seal the plug completely...as far as debris.......you get just as much from the bottom as you do from the top........

I don't have problems with the scoop bowing or anything,however,my car is a 99 limited edition and my hood is basically.99-00 hood with a scoop bolted on.so the piece I cut out faces the air flow about 45 deg rearward(right at my intake).instead of the hole beeing cut on same plane as hood.probally makes the difference