02-04 Mustangs look better

silverbullet04 said:
i like the 99-04's a lot better than the 05's

i hate the 05's due to the fog lights being big like the mach 1 style but being all plastic (if you look close they look really cheap looking). Also i'm not a fan of a new car looking like an old car, If you want the old look why not go buy an original mach 1?

If you want the old looks of the 99-04s, why don't you just go buy one?

• Sponsors (?)

RICKS said:
Furthermore, remember how many devoted Mustangers PUKED when the '99 was introduced???? It was just short of rioting in the streets. They were all wrong (including myself), they just needed time to adjust and get comfortable with the radical change.

I agree.

I HATED the 99's when they first came out. I was made at ford for going that route.

Now i drive a '03 and think it's the baddest looking Mustang made (so far).

Right now, i am not crazy about the '05. I like it, but park an '05 GT next to my '03 GT and as of right now, i'll like my older GT better. The new ones just don't look aggressive to me.

Now, give it time. Lets owners mod and tweak their 05's and maybe allow Ford to change a few things in the '06 and '07 model years. I'm hoping i'll come around just in time to trade my '03 GT in for an 06/07 Cobra.

sixstringthing said:
- the Fox bodies are quite possibly the ugliest cars I have ever seen. How those things say "muscle car" or "sports car" is beyond me. I remember when I was little my dad was looking for a car, he went to check out a Mustang and when he saw it he freaked out and was like "THAT is a mustang?!?!?".... that was like in 89 I think.... it looks like a little economy car.

I still get that now. Girls see my Fox LX and go "That's a Mustang???" It's pretty funny actually. They all go goo-goo over my '03 though.

Guys on the other hand could care less about my '03, they go after my Fox. Don't get me wrong, i'll get a "nice car" here and there from a guy on my '03, but when i go to the gas station to fill up my Fox, everyone feels compelled to tell me about the Fox/Nova/Chevelle/Camaro/Pinto they had when they were younger and how they regret selling it...plus i always get asked if i want to sell it at least once a week. I've even had people chase me down and follow me into parking lots asking if i wanted to sell it. My LX is nothing spectacular, just a clean black/blach hatch with moderate mods. I think it has far more muscle car appeal than my '03.

TomServo92 said:
This line makes me feel old. I was 25 in '89. :(

And I was 42. I remember test driving a notch LX and liking the power while being appalled at the poor quality and hideous looks.

When the SN95 showed up I thought it was the first good looking Mustang since 1970. I also remember a major mag writing after the 99 redo that they were embarrassed to be seen in this car because of the styling. Too much boy racer for them.

To each his own, but I agree. Which brings me to the 2005 Stang.

Beautiful.

While i'm in agreement that the 99-04's look good, the '05's are whats making me break open the wallet. I had no plans on getting a "New" car, that was until i saw the 05's. They have a resemblence to the older stangs, something the 99-04's lacked.

Back to the future

I, too, thought the change in '99 was a major improvement. I was considering the '03, but caught the '05 concept in a magazine.

The concept had the great looking hood! Also, the interior in the concept truly captured a glimpse back to the past, while having a fresh appearance. I decided to wait it out; and it has been a long one. Now, with the existing production hood, I think I will like it even better than the concept, and probably will not go with a mod.

I think I'll have to see the inside first hand to make a judgement on the improvement over the 99-04;

The '05 looks great, and does not diminish the 99-04. I like the fact that the '05 is reminiscent of the past, without appearing gimmicky.

Hopefully, I get to pick up my Mineral Grey GT Prem this Saturday.

initially I REALLLY liked the '05...but I find my self being less and less enamored with it with every new picture I see...the proportions look too much like a Sebring for my tastes (long and narrow looking for me)...

but as always...YMMV

I agree. 99 04 looks better . Give me the all new platform, mechanicals and saftey features on the 99 04 body style and I'm good!! I too didnt like the 99 04 body style ( I saw a base v6 first) until I saw a GT . 99 04 body stlye has aged very gracefully

It's time for change. I'm bored to tears with the SN95, and I love new stuff. It's like a girl that used to be hot years ago, but now, not even the botox can cover up the age. Going to look at leftover '04 Mustangs at the dealership is like going to Branson MO to see an old washed-up singer with a pot-belly sing....

I like the 99-04's better as of right now, the new Stang is too "Pussified"... Not enough muscle car, looks to it..

I am waiting for some body kits or something to come out for it, because I think it really could look good in the end but right now it is waaaay to bland.. I do LOVE some of the photochops some of the guys on this site have done, so I do think the 05 could be awesome looking in the future, just not right now..

RICKS said:
It's time for change. I'm bored to tears with the SN95, and I love new stuff. It's like a girl that used to be hot years ago, but now, not even the botox can cover up the age. Going to look at leftover '04 Mustangs at the dealership is like going to Branson MO to see an old washed-up singer with a pot-belly sing....

As much as I love my GT, I too have been for a while tired of the 99-04's looks. Mainly due to the fact that my GT has had the features(hood scoop/side scoops/etc) that only the 01+ models eventually got.
Now, I'm not selling it or anything, but I just want fresh exterior panels to drool over.
-Jason

I do enjoy the styling of the '05 very much- but I will like it better when the 18in rim option is available and when they change the rear end up a bit. Also, the hood is in some serious need of alteration- other than that, the '05 looks sweet!

Hey, I like the 99-04 Stangs, after all I own one. The 99-04 is the first Mustang body style that I really like sine the 1970 Stang.

But as Ricks said, it's time for a change. The 99-04 Body style was produced for 6 model years and they built approximately 900,000 of them.

I sure wish that during that time Ford would have done some major updates, like extending the wheelbase ala FR-500, strenghned the floor pan, changed the front suspension to coil overs, got rid of that 4 link rear suspension and cleaned up the interior including good seats in ALL models.

But Ford didn't, so it's time to move on.

Look at it this way. The '05 Stang is like the 1994 Stang. It's just the first model of a new design that will be with us for 10 years and have lots of improvements during those 10 years.

mransr said:
initially I REALLLY liked the '05...but I find my self being less and less enamored with it with every new picture I see...the proportions look too much like a Sebring for my tastes (long and narrow looking for me)...

but as always...YMMV

I first saw a 1999 Mustang in a rental car lot. My first reaction was, WOW that is the first cool Mustang in a long time. A few months later I went to look at them on dealer lots and was not impressed. I completely lost interest in getting a 99 or 00.

When the Bullitt came out the car rag articles got mne interested again. The Bullitt looked hot. Then I saw the regular 2001 GTs that had been "improved" with the scoops, Bullitt wheels, etc. So much so, I bought one.

So you may come back around. Besides, I just don't see how the '05 looks like a Sebring. I think you're stretching that one.

351CJ said:
I first saw a 1999 Mustang in a rental car lot. My first reaction was, WOW that is the first cool Mustang in a long time. A few months later I went to look at them on dealer lots and was not impressed. I completely lost interest in getting a 99 or 00.

When the Bullitt came out the car rag articles got mne interested again. The Bullitt looked hot. Then I saw the regular 2001 GTs that had been "improved" with the scoops, Bullitt wheels, etc. So much so, I bought one.

So you may come back around. Besides, I just don't see how the '05 looks like a Sebring. I think you're stretching that one.

I'm not seeing it either:

0914-19.jpg

enlarge_3.jpg

0914-8.jpg

enlarge_5.jpg

The Sebring has longer front and rear overhangs than the Mustang which makes it look longer and narrower.

I really like the 05. Especially once you get the aftermarket involved, like Cervini's, Saleen, etc.

But I own a 99 GT. They are really nice, I like 'em. I LOVE the side exhausts on the Roush's.

But I'd get a 05 GT if it was an option for me, but it currently isn't.