03/04 Cobra 1/4 times?

• Sponsors (?)

My brother beat one of those last weekend at New England Dragway with his 306 powered fox body. He went 12.55 @ 109 vs. the 13.2 @ 116 for the Cobra. Can you say tire smoke? We know that the car was capable of low 12's but not with that driver!

New Et

Click on link below to see a few time slips...dont have my 11.5 scanned yet

I ran 12.76 stock

12.56 with NItto DRS and K+N drop in

11.70 with addition of BFG drs, chip, and pulley

11.68@121mph (1.82 60ft) in 43 degree weather
with bassani X, Cat back and new tune...but lousy 60fts

11.58 @120mph (1.70 60ft) in 75 degree weather
with addition of snubber, QA1s, also got level 2s and irs brace

given the temps outside and 60fts I can still improve on...i think 11.4s are possible. I would like to run 11.49 so I could get yelled at again! Deb from the tower at etown actually came down weeks ago and nicely told me "someone has told you you are allowed to run 11s now right?" HAHA this was before the latest sus work when I couldnt hook! and because she used to yell at me all the time for runnning 11s when it was not allowed! REAL FUNNY!!!

I did run a 1.69 60ft last week but I know i can do better.....

Heres a question for everyone...............................

I had $3000 in sus work done to my IRS to have a "almost bullet proof rear end" according to the shop I used. They talked me out of a solid rear. My rear diff was leaking when I brought it to them. THey resealed the rear diff and installed the IRS Brace. Two trips to the track and its leaking again....bad...

Now they tell me that the cover is likely warped or cracked and that there was no way they would detect it. I have never heard of this before online or at the track. Is this possible? or Has anyone ever heard of this?

info

OH and about that guy running slow.. It certainly could be the driver, but 03-04 cobras are slower in the heat, but they are espeically slow when the car itself is hot...like after driving to the track. You have to put ice on it for hours before its cooled off.

I know for sure now because I just recently bought my trailer. A few fridays back when it was 95 degrees outside, I took it off the trailer and ran 11.87, then I ran it half hour later and drove the same..even cut a better 60ft but only ran a 12.1 at a much lower MPH. Drivers always have something to do with it, but heat soak on these engines is really bad. I have seen many cobra owners come to the track this summer and were all disappointed in how slow they ran. They kept running over and over again..usually going slower each time!

There were three guys at etown last week...one had a Porche, the other two had Ferrari the porche ran a 12.9 but both Ferraris ran low to mid 13s! Everyone was watching intently and I predicted 13s whiel everyone was talking about the low 12 and 11 second runs the cars would make. THEY COULDNT DRIVE! hehe...spun the tires like crazy. In their defence i know ...they arent drag cars but..

same thing with most of the vipers I have seen at the track...

The diff cover on our cars is cheap to begin with, add in the torque brace which adds even more twist to it and you're going to get leaks. Mine had to be re-sealed at less than 1000 miles because it was leaking. It really would be nice if some manufacturer would step up to the plate and make a beefier rear diff cover for the IRS equipped Cobra's. Billetflow made a few milled out of solid billet, but at $700 each they were a little too much for the average Cobra owner.

Are you running the MJ or Billet flow diff cover brace?

U.M.

The shop I go to makes their own...dont want to start mentioning their name yet until after I see how this is resolved. If they charge me full price again...ill be letting the world know...sucks though cause I like how my car is running with their tune and the work they have done but

I also had a half shaft replaced last season because the boot was ripped on it. This same shop said that it was cheaper to replace the entire thing rather than the boot itself..im not sure about that, but then the wheel bearing went bad and they accused me of hitting a curb! I later found out that is what will happen if the axle isnt torqued in right...and then the heat sensor on the mass air went bad...they blamed it on too much oil in the air filter they had just installed but still charged me for the sensor...oh and now... .....my ABS light has been on since they worked on the rear for me...not that i care much about the ABS but still...they have already said nothing they did would have caused that... (they installed an eaton posi, axles, irs brace and snubber)...all i know is the light came on right after they worked on it!

I have a feeling ill be on to another shop....ill mention names later if they dont at least help me out with this...they wont even get me in quick...so its not looking good..

I wish there was a way to see how much oil is left in our diff. I cant even get the bolt out to check it...cant get a wrench up in there... is it possible to check?

Yeah

The thing is...this is a supposedly reputable shop thats very well known. They are just too big and dont give a ss**** about their customers anymore i guess.

Just got another email from them...they wont give me any kind of break on anything..labor or parts..I will be leaving them but I'm going to go back for and to tell them in person what I think about this and the other coincidences that have happened. I'm thinking about cALLING the dealership where I bought my truck and seeing how much they will charge for the job plus a new diff cover. IM also interested in seeing what they think about it.

I'm afriad to back to my old shop because the two places hate each other! I switched after not being happy with my old shops tune. He hired some new guy and he had no experience with the cobra. There's one more good shop in Jersey to try but they cant get me in anytime soon and will charge $600 for the job!

I have a local guy I would like to try. My friends use him for basic stuff but I dont know if he would know as much about the car and its shortcomings...what kind of sealant to use.. etc etc....

What makes me even more perplexed is the fact that the shop knows I intend to get a whipple supercharger next. I even got the estimate for it along with the works...everything I will need to run 20lbs boost with it. Their price with labor $9500! I would think they would be a bit nicer about my situation considering the busness I was going to bring them but obviously they have so many customers they dont care......

alright haha...ill stop now....

BACK TO TIMES!

11.49 BABY!!! im hopin...once i have a diff that will hold oil.... :fuss:

Uncle Meat said:
The diff cover on our cars is cheap to begin with, add in the torque brace which adds even more twist to it and you're going to get leaks. Mine had to be re-sealed at less than 1000 miles because it was leaking. It really would be nice if some manufacturer would step up to the plate and make a beefier rear diff cover for the IRS equipped Cobra's. Billetflow made a few milled out of solid billet, but at $700 each they were a little too much for the average Cobra owner.

Are you running the MJ or Billet flow diff cover brace?

U.M.

so true, i took mine to the track and i couldnt get any traction! never had this happen b/f. Was spinning in 4th at 80 mph! noticed the diff was leaking/spraying all over my tires! so i drove it all the way home from the track and i guess things got too hot in the diff b/g Ford Replaced the entire rear end assembly! I got lucky. My local performance shop (HPP) told me the diff bolts back out due to wheel hop and i did experience some of that that night. I know a diff brace will somewhat fix the hop.
U.M.... but you say it is MORE likely to happen WITH the brace???

Jay

SONICSNAKE said:
U.M.... but you say it is MORE likely to happen WITH the brace???

Jay
No, what I was inferring is that we (IRS equipped Cobras) have a torque brace connected directly to the diff cover. The straight axle GT's do not utilize a torque brace on their diff cover. The added force applied to our diff cover via this torque brace increases the chance of a leak because it causes more twist on the differential! The aftermarket diff cover braces redistribute the force from the stock torque brace therefore stiffening up the whole cover assembly and reducing the flex and potential damage. The diff cover braces are a good thing!

U.M.