03 Cobra questions

DJT03GT

Oct 27, 2003
New Jersey
Just wondering, all the cobras with KBs and other aftermarket power adders make 500+ HP, are they on the stock bottom end? How much can the 03 Cobra shortblock take? Also how much can the 6-spd tranny take, HP and torque wise?

• Sponsors (?)

DJT03GT said:
Just wondering, all the cobras with KBs and other aftermarket power adders make 500+ HP, are they on the stock bottom end? How much can the 03 Cobra shortblock take? Also how much can the 6-spd tranny take, HP and torque wise?

Yes they are all on the Stock bottom end, and you can even make the stock engine get over 500 RWHP without changing the blower.

I dont think there is a definate answer on how much the bottom end can take, I would like to know as well. There was a magazine article about somebody who had a KB Cobra that was putting out over 600 hp and had never even taken the valve covers off. I cant seem to find the article, ill keep looking for it.

-Mike

There are a few guys making 700+ on a stock bottom. Some with spray some with out. What they are running into are fuel supply problems. Anything over 500-525rwhp needs 55# injectors & BAP along with a great tune. The T56 can handle the power. The half shafts want last long along with some other rear end parts.
If you really want more info do a search over @ www.SVTPerformance.com
John

Thanks for the replys, I wanted to get a forged stroked shortblock and KB for my GT, but by time I add a new tranny and rear it would cost a ton. So i was thinking just get an 03 and add a KB for 3800. Then I wouldnt need a new shortblock or tranny. And those Cobra seats would just be and added bonus. I was looking at a used one for 29K with 3000 miles. Doesnt seem to bad for only 3K miles.

DJT03GT said:
Thanks for the replys, I wanted to get a forged stroked shortblock and KB for my GT, but by time I add a new tranny and rear it would cost a ton. So i was thinking just get an 03 and add a KB for 3800. Then I wouldnt need a new shortblock or tranny. And those Cobra seats would just be and added bonus. I was looking at a used one for 29K with 3000 miles. Doesnt seem to bad for only 3K miles.

If I ever get a KB I'm only running 13-15psi 500-550rwhp any more like I said you will need to upgrade but for a daily driver like me anything over 550 is not very streetable. I have hard enough time in stock trim keeping the wheels from spinning.

You can get a new 03' for 29k. Now if was a sonic blue I would be talking them down on the used one. Don't forget to look it over with a fine tooth comb. Get them to run an oasis report to see if anything has been replaced Tick, ect...

Saleen201 said:
Yes they are all on the Stock bottom end, and you can even make the stock engine get over 500 RWHP without changing the blower.

I dont think there is a definate answer on how much the bottom end can take, I would like to know as well. There was a magazine article about somebody who had a KB Cobra that was putting out over 600 hp and had never even taken the valve covers off. I cant seem to find the article, ill keep looking for it.

-Mike
I saw a 03 Cobra putting out 603 rwhp at the dyna last Friday. It had a KB with the 17 psi pulley. It was just crazy. The funy part is that it had a baby car seat on the back. Both bottom end and tranny were stock.

I paid $30,500 for mine on September 6th, 2003. They had $2,500 rebates and I also got the x-plan price through my cousin who works for ford. A friend just bought a silver 03 with chrome wheels a week ago for about the same. I think they are offering $3000 rebate now. Dunno for sure. You can go to http://www.svt.ford.com and see what incentives they are running. that or search for incentives in your area on the ford.com webpage.

-Jason

Also, a word of advice. If you go to buy one with x-plan, d-plan or a-plan, make them show you the invoice with the plan price. I have seen several dealers try to tack on a $250 scotchguard fee and quote that as the x-plan price. Don't let them get anymore than the x/d/a-plan price, and make sure you get any rebates offered.

-Jason

DJT03GT said:
stroked is nice too :) 5.0 or even 5.3L....that's pretty sweet...I would go that way...

stallion98gt what do you think a stroked KB motor would make, HP wise? For the price of that setup plus what i already have I would be stuck with a 40K GT. 23K car, 6K mods i already have, 5K shortblock, 6K KB. Thats a Cobra right there, with some mods.

DJT03GT said:
stallion98gt what do you think a stroked KB motor would make, HP wise? For the price of that setup plus what i already have I would be stuck with a 40K GT. 23K car, 6K mods i already have, 5K shortblock, 6K KB. Thats a Cobra right there, with some mods.
a 5.0 with P&P heads/aggresive cams: around 310 rwhp.
a 5.3 with P&P heads/aggresive cams: around 380 rwhp.

then u add the KB: on a stock GT (225 rwhp) with 14psi u will make around 500 rhwp so basically u double

so 5.0 with Kb: around 590 rwhp
5.3 with KB: around ...660 rhwp...not bad uh ?

pretty much in any case :cobra or GT , u wanna buy a KB...so what comes in the picture is tranny and stroked/forged block.
u can get a TKO v.10 from x2c for $1,600. it will handle 870 ft of tq.
stroked/forged short block run around 4K. P&P heads/cams around 2.5K.

how much money do you think u will lose by trading ur GT for a cobra ? tha tmoney could go right into that tranny/new short block.

just my 0.02... :shrug: