04 Gt No Start?

Dbo04gt

Sep 5, 2017
So I have checked spark and it's good and put in a new fuel pump and I am still getting no fuel. I checked voltage at the fuel pump connector and its good. The no start problem happened when I went to start my car in the morning and it started up but immediately cut off so I cranked it again and it started and shut off so I tried again and it didn't start. I came back 8 hours later and it started right up so I drove it for 30 mins with no problem but the rev or the speedo I really can't remeber, and odometer gauges were not working. I parked it and came back 8 hours later and it did the two starts and two cutoffs and it never started again. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If so this could make short work of this problem. Here's some information on an affordable windows based ODB2 scanner.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Turn the key on but do NOT crank. Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds at each key on?

HOW have you verified there's no fuel?

Will the motor start on a small amount of starting fluid?

What happens if the MAF electrical connector is disconnected?

One of the things to focus on is IF the PCM is switching from "open loop" to "closed loop" mode at the time the motor shuts off. For that focus on the MAF or a vacuum leak.

Here's some more information on crank with no start.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html#2984838

Cluster PC foil trace repair.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-tech/304608-my-odometer-goes-off.html#2657361

I have disconnected the maf and there is no difference when cranking. When I turn on the key I really don't hear anything except a quick buzz from the fuel pump area, but it is very quick. I did change the fuel pump since I had planned on changing it before I bought the car.

Should be on the fuel rail and look like this.
shopping.jpg

I believe only mach1s in my year came with schrader valve for fuel. I may be mistaken but that is what I have read so far. Would there be another way to check fuel pressure.

I believe only mach1s in my year came with schrader valve for fuel. I may be mistaken but that is what I have read so far. Would there be another way to check fuel pressure.
One of the easiest ways to do this is to use an ODB2 scanner that is capable of "asking" the PCM what the fuel pressure is. See post #2.

On the model years without a Schrader valve the Ford factory method is to use a "special" adapter installed between the quick disconnect.

One "low tech" method is to disconnect the fuel line and place it into a suitable container. Cycle the key using the container to "catch" the fuel.

OBTW, IF the only problem wrong with this car were a lack of fuel, THEN it should "hit" on a small amount of starting fluid. Note, be very careful using starting fluid on a modern fuel injected car. Less is more.

Have you reviewed the items in the "crank with no start" check list? Especially the part about the check engine light going out during cranking?

In the interest of being complete. One "possible" reason to have a new fuel pump but still have no fuel pressure is IF the wiring has been done backwards. The fuel pump will spin but not pump any fuel down the line where it's needed. This situation is more likely to happen when "generic" fuel pumps or after market fuel pumps are used. The type where field splices are needed to install.

The other typical cause is using a fuel pump designed for a return fuel system in a return-less application.

Last edited: