04 Spoiler removal

jas142

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
I might take it off.. What size plugs will I need to buy?

And MOST importantly, is it true you really gain 1-2 mph in the 1/4 mile trap speed with the wing off?

• Sponsors (?)

I've always liked the look of a spoiler-less GT. As for plugs, I have no idea, but I thought I'd give you a bump regardless. As for an additional 1-2mph in a 1/4.....doubtful. I wouldn't image that they would cause enough frictional drag at that speed to make that big of a difference.

jas142 said:
I might take it off.. What size plugs will I need to buy?

And MOST importantly, is it true you really gain 1-2 mph in the 1/4 mile trap speed with the wing off?

There are 2 different plugs you need since the holes are different sizes....Get the Hillman nylon hole plugs in 3/8 and 5/16...the part numbers are #139461 and #139442...

propellerhead said:
... and even if it does, it's not worth making your car look like a Ford Probe.
seriously
no spoiler = ugly

oh, i read in MT about that spoiler thing giving the GT a higher top speed as well. i believe some hardcore racers that used to be here and now are at MD say spoiler removal equals a gain in MPH

The only time i think the wingless look looks decent, it on a lowered Mustang with deep dish bullitt wheels with 305series tires . I think it looks badass only then.

For a stock ride height stock wheeled Mustang, i would leave the wing off.

I tried it on my car and was 50/50 on if i liked it or not. I have the plugs. I got them at home depot. They have them in the bins in the bolt aisle in the nylon plug drawer. 3./8th and 5/16th. Paint them with a little touchup paint and use some clear silicone when you install.

Be warned, sometimes there is a stain under the spoiler posts. Your car is new so it may not be there.

Next time i go to the track. i'll yank the wing. It literally takes 5 mins to take off with an 11mm nutdriver and i just pop the plugs in without silicone as long as no rain is in the forecast.

I agree with the stock ride height,and not having a spoiler,not as good.
But lowered,it looks sweeeeeet!!
Here is a pick of mine!
vbgarage.php

And i gainned 2 mph.

Do it the right way and find a decklid that did not have a spoiler originally. I searched awhile before i found one but it just looks like a hack job when you have the plugs in. Looks much better when its smooth..heres a pic of mine before i put my 18" y2k cobra R's on.

Attachments

• mustang rear.jpg
    mustang rear.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 198
someone over at modular depot has pics of the bags the plugs came in so you can get the part # off em. Also Home Depot didn't carry them so I had to hunt around town to find em. You may also want to get a bit of touch up paint and clearcoat from the local auto store so they'll match you car better.