'05 GT pistons and rods.

White05GT

Dec 5, 2004
I've been told that the '05 GT pistons and rods are actually weaker than the '99 up GTs. Has anyone else been told this? It was my understanding that the '05 GT bottom ends were basically the same as what came in the '03-'04 Mach 1s. If anyone can shed some light on this, please post up any advice/links.

• Sponsors (?)

Who told you that?

Someone who really is in the know?

Or was it just another sour grapes person trying to come up with a reason why the '05 is no good?

351CJ said:
Who told you that?

Or was it just another sour grapes person trying to come up with a reason why the '05 is no good?

I was told about this by someone at Paul's High Performance, and I was told "Paul's is correct" by someone at Livernois Motorsports. The whole reason I called both places is to see how they were getting around the PCM roadblocks for power adders. I was not told how to get around the PCM limitations, so I don't know if both these places have figured out the PCM and subsequently blew up some '05 engines, or what.

on the comment you made about the pcm having roadblocks to adding power by modifying how is that companies like SCT have the excalibrator to reflash the ecu (adding power) and MMR has that intake kit that also adds a some hp, not to mention such things as exhaust or underdrive pullies as well... I'm unclear as to whether this cars ecu will accept mods or will they not allow for it?
any info is appreciated.

rysstang said:
on the comment you made about the pcm having roadblocks to adding power by modifying how is that companies like SCT have the excalibrator to reflash the ecu (adding power) and MMR has that intake kit that also adds a some hp, not to mention such things as exhaust or underdrive pullies as well... I'm unclear as to whether this cars ecu will accept mods or will they not allow for it?
any info is appreciated.

According to Steeda, and others, the PCM as it comes from the factory allows for a 5-7% increase in horsepower, before it goes into limp-home mode. Steeda says they will have their re-flash PCM available for sale in about a month. Is the Superchips Custon Tuning (SCT) already available?

I hope to talk to Saleen or Roush, since they're doing supercharged cars. If they say that the 281SC or Roush equivalent will come (under warranty) with a stock bottom end, then maybe the pistons and rods aren't so crappy. Note, Saleen claims the regular supercharged 281 will have 400hp. 400 hp is all I'd like to do for my '05, seeing as how I have a pushrod car as a money pit, already.

351CJ said:
Who told you that?

Info:

As for the GT, it gets the new 4.6-liter, three-valve-per-cylinder SOHC V-8. The aluminum short-block was pirated wholesale from the '03-04 Mach 1 Mustang. That means cracked powdered metal connecting rods and hypereutectic pistons. Bore and stroke is unchanged.

Source

That's hardly junk, and certainly no worse than a 99+ GT as far as durability goes - perhaps a bit better, assuming it has the manual's forged crank and not the auto's cast one. Even if it does have the cast crank (which is lighter, btw), it is still easily capable of handling reasonable power.

The only issue is for those that wish to use forced induction. Hypereutectic pistons are not forgiving when it comes to detonation and/or high boost levels.

so basically you're saying that by adding an intake, exhaust, reflash and pullies the ecu is going to go into limp mode? correct me if i'm wrong but I'm sure people have made those mods and not had this happen..

rysstang said:
so basically you're saying that by adding an intake, exhaust, reflash and pullies the ecu is going to go into limp mode? correct me if i'm wrong but I'm sure people have made those mods and not had this happen..

Sorry if my post was unclear; the pullies, intake, and exhaust (according to Steeda) will NOT make the PCM go into limp-home mode. The limp-home issue comes up when you want to use a power adder, like nitrous oxide or a blower.

There was a guy on here named Sendero who was insisting that the pistons on the 05 were completely unsuited to FI due to the fact that the top ring land was too weak/thin. Don't know what happened to that thread but he sure was pissing a lot of people off :)

Bob Cosby said:
Info:

Source

That's hardly junk, and certainly no worse than a 99+ GT as far as durability goes - perhaps a bit better, assuming it has the manual's forged crank and not the auto's cast one. Even if it does have the cast crank (which is lighter, btw), it is still easily capable of handling reasonable power.

The only issue is for those that wish to use forced induction. Hypereutectic pistons are not forgiving when it comes to detonation and/or high boost levels.

Take it from someone who knows DOHC and SOHC motors. Nice 04 Redfire Bob, saw you pics in last months MMFF. :nice:

Bob Cosby said:
Info:

Source

Hey guys,

I was curious about the internals of the 05 gt what exactly is the cracked powdered metal, is this as strong as forged rods? Im not familar with powdered rods. 2nd question has it been confirmed if the 05 gt has the forged crankshaft?

thanks

BTW thats a Sick cobra you got there!

later :flag:

Meat496 said:
Hey guys,

I was curious about the internals of the 05 gt what exactly is the cracked powdered metal, is this as strong as forged rods? Im not familar with powdered rods. :
They are the same type of rods that all mod motors have had with the exception of the 2003-04 Cobra. They are not as strong as forged rods.