06 GT Help Identifying knock !?!?

jzinn

Mar 26, 2006
I have a 2006 GT manual trans with about 300 miles on it. At idle it has a fairly pronounced knock. The best way to describe it is that it sounds like the worlds wimpiest deisel...almost like a sticky lifter back in the days when we had lifters. It is much more noticeable under the engine than above. I drove over to the dealership and had them fire up a similarly prepared vehicle to try and determine if it was inherent in the new engine design (my dad has an 06 auto -- no noise on his), i thought that i could barely detect it on that car, but no where near as noisey as mine. With that in mind, I have 2 quetions.

1. Anybody have a similar experience, did you have it looked at or look at it yourself, and what was determined to be the source?

2. If this ends up being a rod knock, is anybody familiar with the law regarding something like this? I don't have any interest having them replace on engine, or even crack it open, with so few miles.. that is not why I bought a new car...

We all know how this goes... once you open an engine up it's never the same again.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions.

(Also, Hi... I'm a new guy.. happy to be here!)

JZ

• Sponsors (?)

Haven't heard of that problem. As for as warranty law, the manufacturer has three tries to correct the problem before you can begin any Lemon Law procedures (They don't have to replace engine, just defective part). Bummer, but let's hope it's not a rod or anything that serious.

the noise is coming from the bell housing this has been a problem with previous generation mustangs. Some T3650's make a knocking sound from the bell housing. I have started another thread on this issue. Search noise bell housing and you will find the thread. The noise is intermittent and it goes away with rpm. happens at idle and does not matter whether or not the clutch is engaged or disengaged. Good Luck. Others with the 2005-2006 are having the same problem and I have contacted Tremec about this problem. They have not responded and they most likely will not.

swieduwi: have you actually had it looked at at the dealership and they came up with nothing?

JTGrant: THANK YOU! I'll check the other post. It's definitely more pronounced from under the car, so bellhousing would make sense. What could possibly be causing it?

Thanks again for everybody's help.

jzinn,
Yea, The dealer said that it is a normal sound, nothing to worry about..

I am sorry but this sound can't be normal......

JTGrant,
you said that "Some T3650's make a knocking sound from the bell housing"
What about Automatics, I have a 5R55S, Now this would only apply to jzinn

agree... can't be normal.

posted this on another forum, and had a guy respond with this.. check out his page, he has video/audio of the knock... his seems about 100 times louder than mine, but similar noise/description. Unfortunately his car is heavily modified, but i think there is some good information here, particularly the oil pressure correlation:
http://www.mymustangpage.com/

It's tough to say for sure when i first noticed, but if i had to guess i would say at about 250mi. Keep in mind that it might have been there all along but I was too excited to notice! I doubt it though, I've been building cars for many years now and have learned to remove emotion from my purchasing experiences....

Thanks again to everybody for all of your help, this is a terrific site.

Yes, mine sounds like a diesel too, and I test drove another that sounded the same. It only does it at idle and the motor runs and sounds smooth in the upper RPM. I'm not real concerned, probably just normal for the 3v.

JTGrant said:
its not the motor
i put mine up on the frame machine (closest thing to a lift in a bodyshop) and listened near the bell housing like you did, but i dont have a stethoscope. i did not hear much noise at the bellhousing. when i moved forward a little bit, i could hear it loudly coming from the oil pan. it was a tad louder from the front of the pan than the rear. this makes me think rod knock more and more....its going in tomorrow, so we will see what the so called "experts" say.

bigcat.. yes PLEASE let us know what they say... I'm about to schedule an appt. with ford service dept. as well and would love to have some ammo.

Also, on another board someone mentioned that they had read a TSB on this that there is a knocking due to some issues with the variable cam timing. This would theoretically make sense as poor timing advance would certianly cause a knock of the type and vicenity that we are describing.