1/4 mile shifting and gears

gt420hp

Jul 7, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
How can I tell if the previous owner kept the stock gears (3.23) in my 2001 Cobra Convertible....without pulling the pumpkin to look.

I ran at the track and was in 3rd gear at 6,000 rpm, hit 101.23 mph in the trap. Sounds like stock gears....

anyone agree with me...

If so, I am going with 3.73's

• Sponsors (?)

gt420hp said:
How can I tell if the previous owner kept the stock gears (3.23) in my 2001 Cobra Convertible....without pulling the pumpkin to look.

I ran at the track and was in 3rd gear at 6,000 rpm, hit 101.23 mph in the trap. Sounds like stock gears....

anyone agree with me...

If so, I am going with 3.73's

3.27's. 3.23's are the auto ratio for the fart bodies.

Yes you have 3.27's.

don't bother with 3.73's. If you want performance, no less than 4.10's. If you want something that is a good all around gear....3.90's. 3.73's IMO are a waste on the 32V.

That is the only draw back to 4:10's, you will be looking for sixth gear, if you don't have one already. It stays in the powerband much better though, and I still get 180 miles on 3/4 of a tank of gas, would be more, but I have a heavy foot. I agree with the 3:90's comment though.

is your speedometer right? if it reads high you dont have stock gears. I have 4.10s and mine was 15mph to high till I got my hyper tech and reprogrammed it. Save your money on tuners by the way if you are NA.

Sounds like you have stock gears. I was at the very end of third gear when I ran my car with stock gears. I would highly recommend going no less than 4:10's for a 32 valve motor. 3:90's sound like a good option, but I just havent' heard enough about them to know the pros/cons on our motors. Alot of people have actually been going with 4:30's recently, but since I plan on adding boost in the future, I chose 4:10's. As for checking to see what gears you have, you can do this:

First, jack up the rear of the car and put on jack stands. Take a piece of chalk or tape and mark one of your tires and one on your driveshaft. Put the tranny in neutral and rotate the marked tire one revolution. At the same time, count the number of revolutions your driveshaft makes (using the tape/chalk as a counter). I know 3.75 revolutions equals 3:73 gears, so if you're only making 3-3.25 revolutions, you probably have stock gears

How the hell do you guys put it to the ground with those 410's? With my 373's I blow the tires from any mph mash in 1st and if I hammer 1st to second I blow the tires away.... and I have 275's out back.

chrisbudl1 said:
That is the only draw back to 4:10's, you will be looking for sixth gear, if you don't have one already. It stays in the powerband much better though, and I still get 180 miles on 3/4 of a tank of gas, would be more, but I have a heavy foot. I agree with the 3:90's comment though.

3.90s...bah :notnice: Get the 4.10s or 4.30s for a Cobra