$10,000 Question: What car?

• Sponsors (?)

Don't speak unless you actually have the experience on the topic...

If you've never owned an LS1 or LT1 F-Body then you're in no place to talk about what abuse they will stand up to, how long they will last, what goes wrong with them at what mileage, and so on. I have owned these cars, and also several Mustangs before the F-Bodies. I also sold new Chevrolets for a stint in 2002, so I got to see all of them come through the service department each day.... I spent years running around Dallas/Ft. Worth area with all the local members of LS1.com, and I swear to god if I had $10 for everytime an LS1 bent pushrods I'd have enough cash to buy myself a new KB 1.7 right now. My last F-Body had over 100K miles on the clock and that motor was so worn out its pathetic. Mustangs will last two times as long as any F-Body, and not cost you an arm and a leg to keep it running. $300 to replace the water-pump...$350 to replace the distributor... give me a break!

My best friend of 15 years ordered and waited three months for his 99 TransAM to have the weak a$$ valve-train crumple when the motor had just under 1000 miles on it. Valve-marks on the pistons and the works. GM replaced the entire motor in his car and then voided his power-train warranty on a brand new f-ing car. I don't care how much anyone tries to stick up for the LS1, any motor that breaks as easily as those do should not ever even be put into a car to be sold to the public. And then Pontiac has the nerve to advertise the TransAM Smoking the tires on Daytona Speedway in the vehicle product-brochure. GM...What a bunch of crooks.

Bullitt #3067 said:
#1) Drive that Rodeo until there is nothing left but a stain.

#2) Take that $10K, put it into a Roth IRA and retire at the age of 52 vs. 70 like the rest of us idiots!

It would be a choice that you would never, ever regret!

my .02
Thats the best suggestion I've seen yet!

About 2 years ago I was in the same dilema,
I got a 1998 GT 5speed with 39,000 miles for 9 Grand, threw in a set of 4.10s and I was good to go.

Today I would get 99+ GT, if you like the early ones get a Cobra. Save out enough money for gears and a shifter.

About 2 years ago I was in the same dilema,
I got a 1998 GT 5speed with 39,000 miles for 9 Grand, threw in a set of 4.10s and I was good to go.

Today I would get 99+ GT, if you like the early ones get a Cobra. Save out enough money for gears and a shifter.

Back2Mustangs said:
If you've never owned an LS1 or LT1 F-Body then you're in no place to talk about what abuse they will stand up to, how long they will last, what goes wrong with them at what mileage, and so on. I have owned these cars, and also several Mustangs before the F-Bodies. I also sold new Chevrolets for a stint in 2002, so I got to see all of them come through the service department each day.... I spent years running around Dallas/Ft. Worth area with all the local members of LS1.com, and I swear to god if I had $10 for everytime an LS1 bent pushrods I'd have enough cash to buy myself a new KB 1.7 right now. My last F-Body had over 100K miles on the clock and that motor was so worn out its pathetic. Mustangs will last two times as long as any F-Body, and not cost you an arm and a leg to keep it running. $300 to replace the water-pump...$350 to replace the distributor... give me a break!

My best friend of 15 years ordered and waited three months for his 99 TransAM to have the weak a$$ valve-train crumple when the motor had just under 1000 miles on it. Valve-marks on the pistons and the works. GM replaced the entire motor in his car and then voided his power-train warranty on a brand new f-ing car. I don't care how much anyone tries to stick up for the LS1, any motor that breaks as easily as those do should not ever even be put into a car to be sold to the public. And then Pontiac has the nerve to advertise the TransAM Smoking the tires on Daytona Speedway in the vehicle product-brochure. GM...What a bunch of crooks.

That is so good to know cause I came very close to buying a red 99 LS1 Z28, it had more miles than my gt, 60,000 at that time however when I took it for a test drive it did not start, after jump starting and going for a test drive I ran out of gas. It squeaked and rattled to no end. Bad Karma and I did not buy it.
BTW it was very fast!

take bullitts advice! it may seem lame and boring but at least buy a cheaper stang and save the rest of the money. PLEASE dont blow all your money and in no way use the 10k for a down payment on a mach or cobra that you would still owe money on thats just throwing money away. youll be happy for a little while, but eventually you will wish you wouldnt have blown it. :bang:

I don't mean to turn this thread into a financial advice column, but he did ask about how to spend his money, soooo. Any financial advisor will tell you (and its really common sense) a car is the worst investment for your money. The worst place in the world to put your money is into a car. Thats just meaning buying the car....not talking about mods. I agree...I would not use that cash to get into more debt. Whatever you buy just pay cash for it. Thats all I do now. Cash for everything.

Hehe, you guys are hilarious. I agree with not getting into further debt with the cash as a down payment. I never view cars as investments, only real estate. I come from a financially savvy family so I know a thing or two about this stuff. I do realize that getting a car is not the best thing to do but hey, I can only be young once. I do plan on owning this car for at least 10 years so, I might as well get what I want, right?

I agree the smartest thing is to throw the money into an investment of some sort but this is not what it is for anyway. It is for me to get a new car that will last at least 6-7 years with out any trouble. I think that a Cobra that hasn't been abused too much is the answer. I can have fun and be in a fairly reliable car.

I would pay nothing but cash for this car or perhaps finance 2 grand tops.

All you guys are great and I can't thank you enough for all the help. Now that I have decided that a 99 Cobra is the goal, what do I have to expect as common repairs that a car might like that need? What are some simple yet inexpensive mods what I can do?

Thanks Fellas,

Paul