$11,500 to spend and looking to make my stang a 500hp daily driver, what should i do?

oxemoron

Jul 12, 2003
Hey just figured i'd come on to the forums to ask this question before i go and make the mistake of ordering all the wrong stuff. I have a 94 Mustang GT, and i'm looking to invest some money into it. I want to achieve 450-500hp but need it to be reliable. The route i was going to originally take was a small block 427 crate engine. I planned on ordering a tremec tko to support the engine. I also know suspension mods are most likely necessary but had to idea what needed to be done. So is this a good realistic idea, or should i go with a different setup? Also if i do go with a different setup can you clue me in on exact parts to order and from where? I know if i go to a 351 stroker that I will have to change many parts which I'm unaware of. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

If you want a 351 strocker go with either a 418 or 427. Get some afr 225 heads and a coast high spyder intake.

My setup with out the tranny probably cost me around $4500-5000 and when i upgrade to afr 225 and hooker headers that will cost me about 1200-1400. The best way it to look for deals. Where are you located?

CARB or EFI?

well you have a few options.

if you'd like to keep it N/A then it can be done with a stout 408 or 410. But it would be much easier to do it with a Dart Block 427 sbf. Like the old saying goes there is no replacement for displacement. You'd need some victor gilden heads or something similiar as well as a matching intake (i would get a spyder intake for efi... or a super victor if you go carb... but since you said daily driver i assume you want to keep it efi?)you would also need a good tranny if you want to go 5-speed i'd go with a TKO600 or a T56... mmm 6 gears. You can put a 351 in a 1994 GT but you'd need either a different hood, or you'd need to drop the motor mounts... also an aftermarket k-member would be a good idea as far as suspension goes: full length subframes, upper/lower control arms should be good for the street.

if you're not against power adders here is the setup i'd do.

TURBO!
you can do it with a 302... but then again it'd be easier to do it with a 331 or 347 and since you'd need a forged bottom end might as well just go stroker. I'd still go with an aftermarket block but i've heard of some stock blocks making it to the 500rwhp mark. keep the compression low so you can run some boost. since you are forcing air into the engine a set of edelbrock performer or trick flow high ports would work no need for some extreme flowing afr or victor heads like you would need with the 427. and a turbo cam. and finally the turbo a http://www.proturbokits.com/ kit would work great and are very reasonably priced (as far as prefabbed turbo kits go...) and from what i've heard they are very high quality kits. I would upgrade to 42lb injectors and a larger mass air meter then what comes with the kit. and again a TKO600 or T56 with full length subframes and upper/lower control arms.

you should probably beef up the rear end with some 31 spline axles and a 31 spline differential. and a rear end girdle.

If you really want to spend that cash on a haul ass /no bull**** car. Buy my 01 Z28 stripper. Not the best built car in the world, but it makes my 95 seem rather obese and slow. :rlaugh:
The chevy M6 totally stock (no power shifting) low 13's
I did all I could with the 10-bolt..Solid pinion spacer etc...

Now if the camaro doesn't grab you. How 'bout you call, Whipple Industries err.. kenne bell, fikse, and AFR, and, and,.... you get the point.
**** drop it off at my place. We'll find a A4 block and spray that mother till the cows come home.

Dude, not to be a smart ass, but you really want to spend that kinda bread on these cars.

Alec said:
Dude, not to be a smart ass, but you really want to spend that kinda bread on these cars.

Yeah why not.. I spent that kinda money and i haven't found a decent camero worth my time. not a street car like mine which by the way still gets 21 mpg. And thats roughly 600 hp.

There is a lot worse things you could spend your money on. Like a honda or a Cavalier.

Personally if you want reliable streetable big horsepower a centrifical supercharger is the way to go. Low rpms drives like normal. Put your foot into and hang on.. So much more fun then Nitrous. Lots of people getting away with heads cam intake supercharger 400+ rwhp setups on stock lower end...

Vortech kit $2500.
Forged 331 Longblock from either DSS or DnDmotorsports roughly $5300
Tremec 600 $1800
Gears $500
That leaves 1900 for tuning,fuel upgrades.
Save a little more and buy a tubular k-member.
Or just get a 351/392 combo from Ford Racing. Sell the heads that come with it and get TFS or AFR heads $6300. Should put you over 500hp. Buy a Tremec and tubular K-member and swap headers for about $800.
Use the rest for supporting mods.

1000 on heads
300 for a cam
2500 for an s-trim kit
400 on an intake
900 on a PMS unit

That leaves you with 5000 grand. There will be a lot of smaller stuff needed.

But if you keep it arround 400 rwhp you will be fine, and with a good tune be making DECENT gas milage.

WEll, you kinda have 2 questions going on here.

1. you are really wanting HP, and that has NOTHING to with suspension mods, but Im sure you want the HP to be usable.

2. It will be tough to get that HP on MOTOR only (even larger ones) without some major changes....even N/A 351 strokers are not easy to get that kinda power.

3. There are several guys here with 331/Blower combos easily in the mid-high 400's. If you go that route, you may find a used blower, or I know VOrtechs are about $2500 now for complete kits.

WIth that power though, you need fuel upgrades, custom tune/chip, etc.. the stroker/blower combo with necessary supporting upgrades will bring you to that price already if you get everything (longblock) new.

Eades(member) is at mid 500's with Vortech and 331.

4. If you want power and a fast car, than you can do the 351 N/a Stroker motor, and used the money that would have been for a S/C to upgrade the supspension...Less total HP but a more well-rounded car.

Killer Canary is in the low 12's on 302 motor only with susp, h/c/i, upgraded tranny and great driving.

Since you need the tranny upgrades too, it will be difficult to start where you are now and achieve what you want for that price....Dont forget, you will prolly need a better radiator, and figure 10-20% cost for the "unexpected" things.

Good luck and welcome to our boards.
:cheers:

RC

Blown94coupeGT said:
Or just get a 351/392 combo from Ford Racing. Sell the heads that come with it and get TFS or AFR heads $6300. Should put you over 500hp. Buy a Tremec and tubular K-member and swap headers for about $800.
Use the rest for supporting mods.

NO WAY...or at least not at the wheels.

Blown94coupeGT said:
Vortech kit $2500.
Forged 331 Longblock from either DSS or DnDmotorsports roughly $5300
Tremec 600 $1800
Gears $500
That leaves 1900 for tuning,fuel upgrades.
Save a little more and buy a tubular k-member.

These prices are not wrong, but are the BARE minimum prices... WHERE's THE LABOR, Taxes, Shipping chargers. This assumes there is NO LABOR CHARGES at all...Some can do it all, but most cannot.

You do NOT want all that power without more $$ on susp mods.

Cooling, U/L intakes (not included in that DSS price) MAF, TB...this stuff adds up fast...

You canNOT do a 331/Vortech combo AND necessary supporting cast for $11k.

RC

ONE QUICK NOTE... A TKO 600 is going to cost you more like $2200-2400. The tranny itself may only be $1600 but everything you need with it your going to pay...

clutch for a 26 spline 300+
Belhousing 200-350
drive shaft spacer 40
Yoke 90
There are a few other parts you can upgrade too like clutch fork and cable.

moneypit94 said:
Yeah why not.. I spent that kinda money and i haven't found a decent camero worth my time. not a street car like mine which by the way still gets 21 mpg. And thats roughly 600 hp.

There is a lot worse things you could spend your money on. Like a honda or a Cavalier.

Personally if you want reliable streetable big horsepower a centrifical supercharger is the way to go. Low rpms drives like normal. Put your foot into and hang on.. So much more fun then Nitrous. Lots of people getting away with heads cam intake supercharger 400+ rwhp setups on stock lower end...
I hear ya. Just trying to see if I could put the man in go-fast :D
Look, I'm gonna clue you in on the ls1. GM dropped the ball on the "new style V8's http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/gm_piston_slap.html
And no matter what some "other guy says" the cars and trucks as they come stock are drinking oil and knocking. Hard to tell somebody thats looks at your ride that the noise is NORMAL.. Ls1.com before it went down had a list a mile long of pissed off peeps. I am one of them!! PAID CASH, new 01
1500 miles later.. that car sat in the dealers hands. But, an Ls6 service replacement block :banana: 2000 miles later :nonono: same ****.
But it's fast.

dart block-1800
stroker rotationg assembly-1500
heads-1500
intake-400
cam-250-300
s-trim kit- 2500
tko-2000 or so
clutch-300
bellhousing-200 or so

yea its gonna cost over $11,500 to make a nice reliable combo...why dont u just go N/A for a while til you can afford the blower and all the pheripherals...by that time you could just get a Kenne Bell :D :D :D :D :D :D

oxemoron said:
Alec: Please send me information and pictures on your camaro if you are serious about selling. I would like to mod the mustang but i'm still considering F-Bodies

why so you can pay more for mods, 5.0 Mustangs are cheap to mod in comparision to F-bodies.

They still make Mustangs.

They dont make the Camaro anymore......... that should tell you something right there :spot: :spot:

Just a heads up. Do not buy a TKO-500 or600 if you plan on trunging the car over 6000 rpm's. They is a shifting problem. Find a used old style TKO or a 3550. Just a heads up. If you want 500 rwhp on pump gas and reliable you can do it easily for your price range. Personally, I would buy a low compression stroker kit. I can get a nice eagle 383 sbf kit (8.8 to 1), all forged with JE pistons for about $1300. If you plan on leaving the motor in the 500 rwhp range use a stock 94 roller block. You can usually find it for about $300 for the block. There are a few head options. If you want bolt on heads without nees in special (expensive headers) go with Twisted wedge heads. Have them opened up a little. Find a TFS street upper and lower intake. TFS has a nice stage 3 cam that works good. Then top it off with a S or a T trim Vortech. At 7 lbs of boost I put 540 to the tires with a stock displacement 351w on pump gas and can drive the car anywhere.