12 second goal..Does this look ok?

Vinyl66

Mar 21, 2004
My new 66 coupe with 71 model 302 Mexican block with stock internals, C4 trans (with shift kit) and 8 inch rear (2.79's) will be going to the strip soon to get a baseline run. It has an Edelbrock 600 carb and K&N but everything else is stock. (Heads, cam, intake, exhaust manifolds) It has a 2" crappy kinked dual exhaust. But it runs pretty well with all of these bottlenecks. Am I looking to run low 17's or maybe high 16's? It has 205/75 hard street tires too. Not that traction is a problem now.

Anyways, after the baseline run I plan to do some mods to hopefully get into the 12's eventually.

Here is what I have and what I am thinking about:
Edelbrock RPM intake (have)
AFR 165 58cc Heads
Comp. Cam 274H or 280H
1 5/8" Full Length Headers
2 1/2" exhaust with flowmasters
2500-2800 stall converter
3.55 gears with posi (have)
Pertronix ignition (have)
Drag radials
Traction master traction bars

I realize the suspension will have to be tuned (springs, shocks, disconnect sway bar, relocate battery, etc.) to get the best 60 ft. to run a good time. But will this drivetrain have the power to run a 12. As that is my true quest.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Definately!!! Looks like an awesome combo. Only thing I would change is maybe up the carb to a 650 holley or demon and maybe the rear to a Nine?? Althought I don't have any experience with the 8 inch rear end so it might take it. Other people?? :shrug: But I would guess 12.8 12.9's easy. Good luck!!!

Do you mean 12sec67 ? He's currently moveing and hasn't had a computer up and running for a few days. But any ways I'm sure he would also say scrap the edelbrock also.I'd keep the 8in. for now. It'll be good in that combo with slicks. I would also consider a slighly higher gear. It will take more torque to get that car going. And that is not something our little302/289 are known for. BUT if that is the gear you want, keep it. It just my be a little harder to get nice 60 ft times.

I wasn't asking anyone specifically but I have noticed 12sec67 has a very nice combo to run in the mid 12's.
My car is not a daily driver but I do not want it to scream on the road when I drive it. That is why I went with the 3.55's over anything lower.
I also think this combo would run faster with a demon carb, but my car came with the Edelbrock so that is what I will use. At least for now anyway's.

Has anyone here had experience with these 2 cams. I think the XE274H would give a better idle and be more streetable but I can easily live with a little rumble if the 280H makes much more power.

I am not sure exactly what the compression ratio is or is supposed to be on my engine. I am guessing it is around 9.0 with the stock heads. If I have the D00E casting then I would have 60cc combustion chambers. So going to 58cc chambers would bump the compression slightly as I will be keeping the stock pistons.

Cam specs are as follows:
274H 274 286 230 236 .520 .523 110
280H 280 280 230 230 .512 .512 110

274 states Very strong torque and throttle response, 2500+ stall
280 states Broad power, 2500 stall, 9.5 compression, headers, rough idle.