15" wheel / tire sizes. what looks good?

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
always wanted to have a set of pro stars on my car but have no clue what size tires to buy. i can usually do a pretty good job matching wheel and tire sizes with 17s & 18s but when it comes to 15s, i am lost. i would still keep my FR500s but i think it would be neat to be able to switch up between the two sets. pro stars is what i want but i was looking at summit's wheel - the 'fast five polished' . i like it and i could have a set for not alot of money. what sizes would i buy? 15x7s and 15x10s? the 15x4s look the part but i believe i want more tire than that and i dont want my handling to completely suffer. what backspacing? what size tires would i use on the front and on the rear?

what looks good? :shrug:

fwiw, this will be on a silver 2000 GT. H&R SS springs.

• Sponsors (?)

I run pro-stars in the rear when I go to the track. 15x8 with a M/T drag radial 275-50-15. I have H&R race springs which aren't as low as the SS, but I don't believe you would have rubbing issues. I would have to check on the b/s for the Weld's to be sure, but I think it was 6.5 (either that or 5.5).

You will want a 5.5" backspacing if you get 15x8's and a 6.5" backspacing if you get 15x10's. IMO, the 15x8's are a better choice due to the fact you can use a variety of different tire sizes with them.

In the case of sticky tires, bigger isn't necessarily better. I have pulled 1.58 60's with some 255/60/15's, which are 27" tall and 8.5" wide. If you are using the 2nd set for a track setup, you may as well go with some 15x4's in front. You will wish you did in the long run.