16" rim on Cobra brakes?

stangman69

Dec 16, 1999
Apex, NC
Hey folks-

I'm wondering if I can run 16" rims on the 94-04 Cobra brakes? I am looking at a setup to run the Cobra brakes in the front of my 69 Coupe and I'd like to run 16" rims. Will they fit? I know stock for the Cobras is 17" but will a 16" fit?

Nate

• Sponsors (?)

missouri-

you're running 15" rims on a 13" Cobra rotor/caliper? are you sure? i was under the impression that b/c folks were saying 17" were necessary that a 15" rim was out of the question...

i'm not really questioning you, i'm just astounded that they fit. what kind of backspacing are you running? what kind of spacer, how thick?

thanks much,
nate

Yep...I run 15x4" Centerline Telstars on my car that still has the 13" Cobra brakes on them...To get them to clear the brakes I just needed a 25mm(1") H&R spacer and didn't need to grind the caliper at all...Now in the back, I had to grind a little on the caliper to get them to clear the inner lip of the wheel...Here's a picture of my car with the Telstars on it:

dsc00270.jpg

missouri-

those rims look very good.

another question if i might...

on the front, with that spacer and the relatively skinny wheel, is the caliper inside the wheel or inboard of it? does that make sense? in other words, does the wheel clear the caliper on its inside edge or does the caliper sit jussst outside the wheel itself?

on the rear, what size rotors do you have? aren't the factory cobra's 13" or are they 11.25 or 12 or something else?

thanks again. you have been very helpful.

nate

I got 16x10.5 inch wheels on the rear that I bought recently, fit great. They are steel wheels and have a 6.5 inch backspace. Running ET Streets.

I know that 15 inch wheel required some caliper grinding to fit.

I got have a solid axle (200GT) but I kept my 99 cobra brakes, hence why I went with 16s vs 15s

John

my bullitt had 16" '05 v6 rims on it when i bought it. (the real rims were jacked)
the back fit barely, but the front had to have spacers so the wheel stuck out like a low rider and it looked like crap. also, the caliper rubed on the inside of the wheel just enough to scratch a ring around the inside of the wheel and the caliper.

the bullitt brakes are 13".
i dont know if the caliper is diff or not between the cobra and bullitt.
id say you woud need spacers or just move to 17" rims.

(ps i know im not a cobra guy, but id like to be)

The front caliper rides just inside the rim, I have like 1/16" clearance or I would have had to grind on it...

The rear Cobra brakes have 11.65" rotors, and the 5" backspace I have on my rear wheels just wasn't quite enough to get it to clear...wasn't a big deal to grind it though and I didn't really have to grind much...