1964 1/2 VIN QUESTION

V8302stangs

Founding Member
Dec 16, 2001
San Jose, CA
Hey guys I sold my 95 and recently bought a 64 1/2 I've been checking my vin # today and everything makes sense. It's a white coupe from dearborn with the 260 v8. What I am curious of is it's number on the production line. The number at the end of the vin is 105478. My queestion is basically does this mean it is mustang number 105,478 or did the number start at a higher point, and also I heard that some of the numbers in the order are not mustang cars as well. Is this true?
Thanks
Gabe

• Sponsors (?)

April 17th, 1964 that is pretty dang early as they started in march I think and there are other others Falcon as an example that are included in that number IIRC.

Mustang new car production started numerically from "100,000". There is no car #000,001 or 0005478. Your car is the 5478th vehicle built on THAT particular assembly line in 1964. Other type of vehicles (possibly falcons/comets/and maybe fairlanes) are also part of that #--depends on what was scheduled on the assembly line on what day. I don't know if the VIN's were differentiated as to the Mustangs being 65's and the other car's as 64's--did other Fords models have a 64 1/2 year too??????

If 2 cars are being built on 2 separate assemby lines, such as one in California and one in dearborn, it is possible that there are 2 vehicles with the same last 6 #'s. What differentiates the cars would be the 2nd letter of the Vin. R for California and F for Dearborn. 5R07F100000 vs. 5F07F100000 are possible VIN's, assuming that both facilities produced 64's. Another neat thing is that the assembly lines could start up months apart and and yet both could still use the same #, beginning at 100,000.

All in all, your car is considered a very early Mustang.

It would be hard to say how many cars were made before yours because like others said other cars had consecutive numbers in the mix. I remember reading that Fairlanes were on the same line as Mustangs.

My son's 64 1/2 was had a build date on April 29 with the vin being 122167. I thought his was fairly early but there had to be a lot built before his.