1966 Rearend and Front Spindles

candyapple

Dec 29, 2003
Hey all. I have a 1966 Coupe that I am in the process of converting to a V8. Actually I have almost completely the project and had a question that is not answered in the Sticky posts. I have gottend the entire rear-end and from brake assemsbly with spindles from a 1966 V8 Coupe. I have already rebuilt the drums on the V8 stuff. What else will I need to change on the rearend to mount it in my car. I was told all that was needed was the U-bolts to mount it to the chassis and brake lines. What else am I missing.

Thanks again. I am sure I will be asking more questions soon.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey all. I have a 1966 Coupe that I am in the process of converting to a V8. Actually I have almost completely the project and had a question that is not answered in the Sticky posts. I have gottend the entire rear-end and from brake assemsbly with spindles from a 1966 V8 Coupe. I have already rebuilt the drums on the V8 stuff. What else will I need to change on the rearend to mount it in my car. I was told all that was needed was the U-bolts to mount it to the chassis and brake lines. What else am I missing.

Thanks again. I am sure I will be asking more questions soon.

Actually, the rubber hose for the 6 and single exhaust V8 were the same. U bolts, etc., to attach the axle were also the same.

Be careful, though, if you are planning to use dual exhaust, you'll need the unique dual housing lines, hose, hose bolt, hose/underbody bracket, and extension adapter or new long steel brake line. The standard hose will rub against the LH tailpipe, risking, well, death.

That is good news. Now all I have to do is get the replacement parts for the front end for the 5 lug spindles and save up for some wheels and tires.

If I put in new SS lines from the front to the rear, what should I need.

That is good news. Now all I have to do is get the replacement parts for the front end for the 5 lug spindles and save up for some wheels and tires.

If I put in new SS lines from the front to the rear, what should I need.

Don't waste your money. Unless your car will be stored outdoors near the beach, SS lines are an expensive luxury, harder to use than galvanized steel. My 66 still has the original steel lines on it, even though it was a daily driver until 1997. I have another car that had the original lines on it just over 50 years.

If the front to rear line is not damaged or rusted, all you need is a short extension adapter line from Glazier Nolan, underbody bracket, dual hose, dual hose lines for the axle housing, and new shorter hose bolt. If you can thread and cut the bolt yourself, you can modify the long one for that.

Thanks for that.

Since my original was an I6, and the V8 from drum assembly is a complete unit, what do you think I will need to change for suspension and steering.

Well, the 6 springs sucked from day one, and got saggy from there, so you'll want the GT rate stuff anyway, and bigger sway bar than the lame 6 unit. Unless the car had PS, it'll have the 5-turn box, same as the standard V8 job, but pretty slow for performance. You could treat that as a separate project, though.