Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered the replacement for the gauge set from Summit. If yours is a stock ford style sender, and uses the same impedance values as the stock piece,...then it is available through the standard auto parts channels.
In my case, the stock replacement I tried first had the wrong impedance, and my oil pressure gauge pegged at 99 P.S.I. and wouldnt change, so you'll have to be wary of that.
Yeah mine uses the gm sender as well

• Sponsors (?)

Ho, Ho, Ho.

The Monster was the big beneficiary of the gift haul today.

He got a complete set of LLoyds floor mats. (black)
8CC31955-4D6B-4694-B0AE-8F78B9AB74B4_zps9g61rlfw.jpg

He got a set of sun visors. (black)
He got a set of Redline hood lift struts.
AF71C411-DB18-4CFE-BF53-94F565B36004_zpssyqltgas.jpg

(He also got a rag for an oil filler cap)
He got a dome light.

I got a pair of shoes, some jammies, some sockets (to replace the 1/4 drive sockets my son, and his stoner buddies used as one hitters).
I got a storage box for the Go-Pro wannabe.

Clearly,...I was able to sneak a few hours before dinner today....Although there was nothing to fitting the floor mats,..I did manage to have to redo the lift strut mounts twice....(Would you expect anything else?).
They are vastly better than the MRT kit that pushes the hell outta the hood alignment,...but I still managed to install them wrong,...they were completely compressed when the hood was shut.

I also stripped/sanded/burned off all of the remaining orange paint and painted the G hole in high heat black. It is a mess. The entire bottom of that thing is warped to hell as a result of the building it. I thought that I could glaze the thing w/ filler back then, but it gets too hot, and it peeled off. It's painted though,..so I'll re-hang the thing on Thursday.

6012C05E-166D-4A3F-9858-E13BCA2530F9_zpstaobz3nq.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
The WD-40 really brings out the petroleum undertones of the basement rice.

Secret family ingredients. Why do you think his cats try to commit suicide all the time? Trying to keep the secret from the Bush's baked beans dog has them going bonkers. They watch Mike in the garage and look for their opportunities to off themselves from the pressure.

Reactions: 2 users
From "The Diary of a Cat":

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from shredding the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant and cough it up on the carpeting.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed (again).

DAY 762 - Slept all day so that I could annoy my captors with sleep depriving, incessant pleas for food at ungodly hours of the night.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan...

DAY 768- I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo". What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth and the tiny bit of flesh under my claws.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer." More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies". Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The Bird on the other hand has got to be an informant. He has mastered their frightful tongue (something akin to mole speak) and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time.

Reactions: 3 users
Well....What is in store for the Monster today....
He goes to get his plate. Which means that he has to negotiate traffic lights,..interstates,....and.......other drivers.

The car only has basic liability on it today for the sake of doing that, so here's hopin' that fate doesn't decide to throw his full house against my pair of 2's.

I called the DMV cause they have to inspect it. I asked what that entailed, and she said that they were only concerned with matching the vin to the title. No problem.

Except my vin dash tag is in the top drawer of one of my tool boxes.

I've gotta make a mount so that I can fix that dude in the approximate location that it was originally. Obviously, I've got no way to get a drill in there to rivet the thing back, so I'm gonna make a little bent piece of metal that will make it visible through the glass that will serve as a mount, and glue that dude to the dash.

But before I can do any of that...
Our suck ass washing machine wont drain. It is full of water, and sopping wet clothes. And because it's a front loader,.. the doors locked because of that. I gotta figure that sht out fist before there'll be any monsterin'

Reactions: 2 users
Well....What is in store for the Monster today....
He goes to get his plate. Which means that he has to negotiate traffic lights,..interstates,....and.......other drivers.

The car only has basic liability on it today for the sake of doing that, so here's hopin' that fate doesn't decide to throw his full house against my pair of 2's.

I called the DMV cause they have to inspect it. I asked what that entailed, and she said that they were only concerned with matching the vin to the title. No problem.

Except my vin dash tag is in the top drawer of one of my tool boxes.

I've gotta make a mount so that I can fix that dude in the approximate location that it was originally. Obviously, I've got no way to get a drill in there to rivet the thing back, so I'm gonna make a little bent piece of metal that will make it visible through the glass that will serve as a mount, and glue that dude to the dash.

But before I can do any of that...
Our suck ass washing machine wont drain. It is full of water, and sopping wet clothes. And because it's a front loader,.. the doors locked because of that. I gotta figure that sht out fist before there'll be any monsterin'

Not sure how AL is, but GA requires it to be riveted IIRC. Good luck with it!

Joe

Mike, why don't you have collector car insurance on this investment we all call The Monster? I know you have way more into this car than what the book value is on it. I just did a fairly detailed tally of what everything on/in my car cost and I realized quickly that I was about to set the value of my car too low. My tally came up to $21,150 and that's not including little things like gasket kit, other miscellaneous knick-knacks, labor(shortblock and rearend) and the cost of the car. :eek::eek:. I was originally gonna set the value of my car at $15k but I think I'm going to set it at 23k or 25k.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, the Monster is legit. He is a bonafide street car.
F03CB707-54E7-476C-9605-E7008FB68A56_zpsr4av7gbk.jpg

I decided against the personalized plate. The reason for that was simple. I did not want to have to explain a bazillion times what it meant when only the twelve of us know why it's called GMONSTR.
Other contributing factors were that the state of Alabama decided to charge me for all three years that the car has been in my possession despite the fact that it has been non-running.
So,...I paid $171.00 to license the Monster today,..when I was expecting 70.

I intend to modify the coverage I put on the Monster to include a stated value policy, But for the sake of what I wanted to accomplish today, all I needed was proof of ins.

It did drive the distance. There and back was about a 20 mile round trip. I'm starting to become concerned that what I think are 3.55's are way deeper than that. It seem that the car runs at 2400-2600 RPM at what I think is 70 MPH. I still need to properly calibrate the speedo to be sure,..but it's like the engine is spinning way to high to be in 4th gear to be a 3.55.

I'll have to look into that more.

After I got it back I removed the Autolite 65 plugs (which looked perfect,..IDK why I decided to go colder0 But I installed a set of 64's that I have had since day 1. I gapped them to .032, and then took the car for a drive.
This thing detonates so bad when you try to put your foot on the floor that had these been hyperU craptic pistons, they'd be broken by now. I'm only talkin about 1 second of that, but there is clearly something wrong.
When I roll into the throttle, as long as I keep it at about 1/2 throttle, it pings. Stand on it, and it freakin rattles.

Here's my new Auto- Hypochondriacism.
Along time ago I was building a Clevor that I intended to put nitrous on.I planned to use a open chamber 2v head. After reading and talkin to people, I learned that the lack of a "quench area" would cause the engine to detonate very easily.
Consequently,..I bailed on the Clevor thing, and just went w/ a conventional Windsor head instead. I never got to see for myself whether or not that head was gonna cause rampant detonation.

59.jpg

This is a pic of that chamber.
1012.jpg

And this is the closed chamber version of that head. The flat area is necessary to promote a clean burn, as it forces more complete combustion as a result a tighter packed mixture.

Now,......this is the Monster's camber:
temporary_zpsf96b3ab3.jpg

I'm not seeing no quench.
I knew this in the back of my head, but gave it little consideration. Now it may be that this is why the thing is rattling.
Then again,..It could just be tune related. Time will tell I guess.

If that turns out to be the case,..it'll be the death nail for any boost north of probably 5 P.S.I. as this all ties back to lack of quench being intolerant of high cylinder pressure.

Attachments

• 2016-12-29_15.46.03.msl
    3.1 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not up on how that trans locks the TC or what the final drive ratio is with that trans. I will say if the speedo is correct,and the final ratio is like an aod or t5, then your rear gear is steeper than 3.55's. 2 of my cars had 3.55's(including present 86-which I swapped to 73's) and they cruised around 2100rpms at 70mph. My 73's are close to 23-2400 fwiw. That's based off my speedo vs a follow car. Not completely scientific but gave me enough info so I didn't speed unnecessarily lol.

As far as the cc shape...I think I understand what you're saying but definitely would rule out tune,octane,ignition etc before jumping into the quench area of diagnosis. If it ultimately is a quench issue any mechanical fix? I.E bowl shaping/head gasket change to create more volume to eliminate some predetonation?

I'm not up on how that trans locks the TC or what the final drive ratio is with that trans. I will say if the speedo is correct,and the final ratio is like an aod or t5, then your rear gear is steeper than 3.55's. 2 of my cars had 3.55's(including present 86-which I swapped to 73's) and they cruised around 2100rpms at 70mph. My 73's are close to 23-2400 fwiw. That's based off my speedo vs a follow car. Not completely scientific but gave me enough info so I didn't speed unnecessarily lol.

As far as the cc shape...I think I understand what you're saying but definitely would rule out tune,octane,ignition etc before jumping into the quench area of diagnosis. If it ultimately is a quench issue any mechanical fix? I.E bowl shaping/head gasket change to create more volume to eliminate some predetonation?
Nope,..not from what I understand. The only cure is to not try and pound a bunch of cylinder pressure in there.

The other option,.....waaaaaayyyy down the road,...and probably NEVER......is this:

Picture-262.png

That is a sectioned pair of LS heads on a Ford 300 six banger.
The engine is longer than my 250,..so a LS bolt pattern will probably NOT work,...but the power this thing could make.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.