Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my thoughts on the oil "thing". Oil works best when at a temp over 200* and less than 280* roughly. At that temp there is no advantage to running a "thinner" oil, outside of a few HP gain. A gain that I doubt you can feel. After all, how thick do you think 20-50 is at over 200*? At that point the "heavier" "thicker" oil has more stability to it. I run a 20-50 semi-synthetic in the race engine. This stuff: http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/xp5-sae-20w-50-semi-synthetic-racing-oil-16054html/ .Why this stuff? Because my engine builder highly recommends it and he has not steered me wrong in 20 plus years. I also have an engine oil heater that is attached to the bottom of the oil pan. Like this: https://www.wolverineheater.com/Wolverine-Model-16-250-Watt-Heater-p/16.htm. The engine does not get started until the oil is up to temp, which I guess works great for a race car that has a more scheduled run time, but could be an issue if you were going to fire up the Monster at a moments notice. You do live in a warmer climate so maybe not that bad at all. My guess is that your oil pressure would stabilize with a quality 20-50 oil in it. I don't remember what bearing clearances you had the engine set up for. I would also hope that the plumbing for the external pump did not have any hard 90* fittings as those kill flow. Everything should be done with AN fittings that promote flow without the pressure loss of a hard 90* fitting. Anyway, I know engine oils can be a controversial and/or emotional thing (just talk to an Amsoil person), but it never hurts to hear what has worked for others.
The lines are all plumbed AN, and are -12 in, and -10 back as per the instructions. As stated, the car had a sae 30wt in it and had no issue w/ pressure before. It HAS to be that oil that is currently in it that is to blame for the pressure loss. With regard to going to a 20/50...There has to be some degree of loss related to pumping that heavy oil through the engine regardless. There is no windage tray in this engine, and at some point I'd imagine that a counterweight sloshing through 50wt would have some degree of windage, in addition to whatever minimal loss comes as a result of having to turn that belt to do that.
But compared to looking down at the oil pressure guage and seeing 5p.s.i,...I'll drain, and change that junk out in a heart beat.

• Sponsors (?)

Oh man, the Monster manor looks sweet. I would kill for that set up around here! 4400 sq feet is a giant house, Mike... My house is 2700, and its plenty big enough to keep up with. You better get both knees, hips, and ankles done so you can keep up with that yard and house chores! Good luck with the purchase though, I hope it works out how you want it to. I'd like to see you get that barn all set up and personalized for the Monster.

Oh man, the Monster manor looks sweet. I would kill for that set up around here! 4400 sq feet is a giant house, Mike... My house is 2700, and its plenty big enough to keep up with. You better get both knees, hips, and ankles done so you can keep up with that yard and house chores! Good luck with the purchase though, I hope it works out how you want it to. I'd like to see you get that barn all set up and personalized for the Monster.
I was talkin to the wife last night about it. There would've been a time I would've killed for it. 10 years ago I had the Studebaker street rod rotisserie project, my 05 GTO,..a Victory TC 92 motorcycle, and a work van.. They all could fit in there.

Now, there's just the Monster and the Mini.....and even then, the Mini will be in one of the stalls in the two car garage on the other side of the house. All that room,.... and only the Monster to fill it up.
It's all too much space really. Talkin about maybe having my mom take up residence in the basement apartment so she can be close,..but with as with all things family (and given that she is MEGA crotchedy) that will not be w/o it's own peril.
The good thing is that it's actually two separate houses under the one roof. The basement has it's own living room, den, two bedrooms, and two baths. Some day, I'd expect it'll get used as a place for visiting children and grand children to have a place of their own to stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I was talkin to the wife last night about it. There would've been a time I would've killed for it. 10 years ago I had the Studebaker street rod rotisserie project, my 05 GTO,..a Victory TC 92 motorcycle, and a work van.. They all could fit in there.

Now, there's just the Monster and the Mini.....and even then, the Mini will be in one of the stalls in the two car garage on the other side of the house. All that room,.... and only the Monster to fill it up.
It's all too much space really. Talkin about maybe having my mom take up residence in the basement apartment so she can be close,..but with as with all things family (and given that she is MEGA crotchedy) that will not be w/o it's own peril.
The good thing is that it's actually two separate houses under the one roof. The basement has it's own living room, den, two bedrooms, and two baths. Some day, I'd expect it'll get used as a place for visiting children and grand children to have a place of their own to stay.
Or a visiting painter, perhaps?

Reactions: 3 users
I know too thick an oil is bad! I had the 455 Regal and ran 20/50 in it until the day it was 30 and I fired it up and it died. It sheared the roll pin off the distributor gear! Switched to 10/40 after that in the winter and 15w/40 in the summer.

That is A LOT of house. I've got 2700 right now. Want at least 2 acres and get down to single story and maybe 2200 at most. Have 2 still at home part time (divorced). 1 is 16 in 10th grade and the other is 13 in 7th grade. I hope to move when the 16 year old graduates HS. Don't want stairs, although I would accept a basement or just a big bonus/game room upstairs. Don't want utilities or to have to clean upstairs anymore!!!

Well they accepted the counter offer. It's on. (why wouldn't they? All they had to do was have that Monster Oak tree trimmed of it's dead limbs, and hope that their house doesn't have any issues that an inspector uncovers that they'll have to fix.)

Our house will have a sign in the yard tomorrow, and go active on Friday, open house on Sunday.
Man!
You don't think how much it costs to sell a house until the realtor is going over the costs involved. If we sell this one for listed price, we'll have an $11,000.00 commission to pay, plus what ever closing costs, then even more money to buy the new one.:nonono:

Reactions: 2 users
Don't shake your head buddy! I'm so excited for you and the monster! What a cool new house,

Oh yeah, i'm happy for Kate too. Tell her I said congratulations.

Time to party, eh?:banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Don't shake your head buddy! I'm so excited for you and the monster! What a cool new house,

Oh yeah, i'm happy for Kate too. Tell her I said congratulations.

Time to party, eh?:banana:
Not just yet my friend....we'll hope for a quick sale on our house...I've done just about all I can do to make it presentable. When I get the official listing link,..I'll put it up here so you guys can see the crusty old dump I live in.

Not just yet my friend....we'll hope for a quick sale on our house...I've done just about all I can do to make it presentable. When I get the official listing link,..I'll put it up here so you guys can see the crusty old dump I live in.
It's not a "crusty old dump" Mike. It's a house with "character", kind of like its' owner:D

Between selling one home, buying another and the actual moving costs and carrying costs while under contract, it costs us around $32k to move 3 years ago. Luckily some of that was absorbed by the equity in the house we sold.

Joe

Well they accepted the counter offer. It's on. (why wouldn't they? All they had to do was have that Monster Oak tree trimmed of it's dead limbs, and hope that their house doesn't have any issues that an inspector uncovers that they'll have to fix.)

Our house will have a sign in the yard tomorrow, and go active on Friday, open house on Sunday.
Man!
You don't think how much it costs to sell a house until the realtor is going over the costs involved. If we sell this one for listed price, we'll have an $11,000.00 commission to pay, plus what ever closing costs, then even more money to buy the new one.:nonono:

You had better ask you wife what her fix up/remodel plans are...

My wife just loved our house when we moved in Oct. 2008. I told her that she would regret having a two story house and she said no way...

Then she decided she didn't like the kitchen magnolia wallpaper - paint the kitchen and put up a wallpaper border with farmhouses and cows on it. I put up the wallpaper border and that turned out OK. Our handyman did the painting; he has become a familiar face and name around our house. His price is reasonable and I don't spend all my spare time with fix this. paint that, build this honey do work.
Next she decided that she wanted one wall in the living room painted sunset orange. Again the handyman did the job and it turned out good.
Then it was paint the entrance hallway, which she did with the help of a friend - sloppy paint work, drips on the carpet, and on the wood finish chair rail.
Then it was paint the upstairs bathroom, which she started and I had to finish.
Then it was the master bedroom/bath and the guest bath. - Another part time painter did that; it looks OK, no spits or drips.
Then she painted the living room - this time I insisted that if she was going to paint, she needed to mask everything that didn't get painted. The paint turned out OK, except where she didn't do a good job of masking the woodwork.
Now she won't go upstairs because it makes her knees hurt. The only good thing about that is my office/computer/electronics room is upstairs so she just stands at the bottom of the stairs and hollers up at me. Most of the time I don't hear her clearly because I like to have music playing when I am working at the computer.

So Mike, what is your wife's change/refurbish plan for your prospective next house?

Reactions: 3 users
I like our little shack, I think it's less than 1400 sq ft, large yard but not too big, 14x24 garage and 20x25 carport next to the garage, it's paid for and so is everything else, easy peasy live'n.
I sit on the camo swing on my patio in the side yard in the mornings wearing my house coat, drink coffee and wave at the work'n stiffs as they pass by, all I need is a pretentious hat.

It's not a "crusty old dump" Mike. It's a house with "character", kind of like its' owner:D
Like I said,..I'll post the realtor.com link for the 11 others to see,...we'll have a vote poll then.
Between selling one home, buying another and the actual moving costs and carrying costs while under contract, it costs us around $32k to move 3 years ago. Luckily some of that was absorbed by the equity in the house we sold.
Joe
If it cost me 32k to move, I'd have to stay where I am,...I only have 30k equity in this house at listed price.

I sold our first house myself. The assistance of a listing website was $500, and paying the buyers closing costs was just $3K. Yall are doing it wrong...

I want to sell the house Nick,...Nobody has the time to meet a prospective buyer for a showing,..nobody knows all of the legalities between selling/buying w/ regard to Al real estate law,..and I want it to go away quick,..I need the benefit of the MLS listing system. I'd like to save the 11k, but I need to get this one gone.

You had better ask you wife what her fix up/remodel plans are...

My wife just loved our house when we moved in Oct. 2008. I told her that she would regret having a two story house and she said no way...

Then she decided she didn't like the kitchen magnolia wallpaper - paint the kitchen and put up a wallpaper border with farmhouses and cows on it. I put up the wallpaper border and that turned out OK. Our handyman did the painting; he has become a familiar face and name around our house. His price is reasonable and I don't spend all my spare time with fix this. paint that, build this honey do work.
Next she decided that she wanted one wall in the living room painted sunset orange. Again the handyman did the job and it turned out good.
Then it was paint the entrance hallway, which she did with the help of a friend - sloppy paint work, drips on the carpet, and on the wood finish chair rail.
Then it was paint the upstairs bathroom, which she started and I had to finish.
Then it was the master bedroom/bath and the guest bath. - Another part time painter did that; it looks OK, no spits or drips.
Then she painted the living room - this time I insisted that if she was going to paint, she needed to mask everything that didn't get painted. The paint turned out OK, except where she didn't do a good job of masking the woodwork.
Now she won't go upstairs because it makes her knees hurt. The only good thing about that is my office/computer/electronics room is upstairs so she just stands at the bottom of the stairs and hollers up at me. Most of the time I don't hear her clearly because I like to have music playing when I am working at the computer.

So Mike, what is your wife's change/refurbish plan for your prospective next house?

The house hasn't seen a update since 60's when it was built w/ the exception of the appliances, roof, flooring, the garage door openers, and the HVAC system. As far as style goes,...it's all Johnny Carson around there. When she decides to bring it into the 21st century, the guy that's gonna be there to do that isn't me....His name is Isabel,..he's a short little Mexican man that knows how to paint, do sheetrock, and masonry. She also knows she has to pay for that work. He has currently been doing what needs to be done here That I can't/won't do. (And even though I can do it all, I REFUSE to paint anything that can't be painted w/ a gun.)

I like our little shack, I think it's less than 1400 sq ft, large yard but not too big, 14x24 garage and 20x25 carport next to the garage, it's paid for and so is everything else, easy peasy live'n.
I sit on the camo swing on my patio in the side yard in the mornings wearing my house coat, drink coffee and wave at the work'n stiffs as they pass by,
all I need is a pretentious hat
Get a box,....It's all the rage.

I sit on the camo swing on my patio in the side yard in the mornings wearing my house coat, drink coffee and wave at the work'n stiffs as they pass by, all I need is a pretentious hat.

11428798_871216926258790_1106984797_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.