Status
Not open for further replies.
And this us the 80% complete shot for tonight.
20190221_205120.jpg

I really like this, except the Phillips screws holding it on. To me that makes it look cheap. I would double side tape or PBA attach it over using all those screws.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

So,.....Steve is considering buying two complete 351s....one runs normally, and the other spins backwards...maybe I'll buy the reverse rotation one from him, and rig it to drive a reverse rotation prop from an airboat, and install it in the trunk now that all of that rear radiator junk is gone.
Then I'll have to rig up a big, giant fan under the car using belts and pullies geared to spin at 3 times engine speed with the sole objective being lift. I'm not looking for full fledge "flight" per se'......I just wanna be able to kinda.. "hop" over other cars in my way.

I'll be ragin' up on some slow assed Kia, and I'll push the hop button...the 351 comes on, spools that fan up to full speed, and the whole freakin' Monster just leaps over that sht....

I can see this happening...as long as the damn hairless cat stays out from underneath the thing during testing...that could be a bad thing.
I really like this, except the Phillips screws holding it on. To me that makes it look cheap. I would double side tape or PBA attach it over using all those screws.

Those Phillips screws make it.

Ask the Queen.She gives it the Wave....~~~~~~

Screw Phillips!

tenor.gif

https://media1.tenor.com/images/85afa3417e192d6bec347e81d7b42de0/tenor.gif?itemid=10215613

Good Sunday morning guys...

As stated, the plan for tomorrow will be to load the sheetmetal into whatever I can scrounge up ( I'm gonna try the wife's Caddillac SUV) and get them to the Soda blaster. She's gonna be gone for several days on business, and that means that her car will just be sitting around, begging for the chance to have the "Utility" part of the car tested.:cautious:

I'll be that Huckleberry.

Because she's gonna be gone for the next several days, that means that any possibility of doing anything today will go to zero. Especially considering that this is the first time that the sun is shining, and it ain't "Noah rainin" like it has been for the last week.

Not including the sheetmetal swap,....The left to do list on the monster prior to a restart is pretty small I think...lets summarize.
  1. Put remaining decal, and graphic on passenger side of car.
  2. Hook up exhaust system
  3. Reinstall trans dipstick tube ( needs bigger o-rings to seal better) fill trans.
  4. Finish engine ( install dipstick, fuel injector rail, radiator, check valve lash, make a new stinkin gasket for valvecover, swap out leaking oil cooler, re-prime engine)
  5. Finish the tail lights and the panel ( sand, prime, sand again, prime, mask, paint it black..." I see a red door, and I want it painted black...")
  6. Hook up a couple of loose cut wires in the trunk....
  7. Charge the battery
  8. Say the little " Please start car,..please start car" prayer.
  9. Turn the key.
  10. Come on here, and gush over the restart going off without a hitch... Or...
  11. Come on here bitchin that the car won't start, wondering what you might have done wrong over the last 6 months that it's been out and apart.

Reactions: 2 users
Good Sunday morning guys...

As stated, the plan for tomorrow will be to load the sheetmetal into whatever I can scrounge up ( I'm gonna try the wife's Caddillac SUV) and get them to the Soda blaster. She's gonna be gone for several days on business, and that means that her car will just be sitting around, begging for the chance to have the "Utility" part of the car tested.:cautious:

I'll be that Huckleberry.

Because she's gonna be gone for the next several days, that means that any possibility of doing anything today will go to zero. Especially considering that this is the first time that the sun is shining, and it ain't "Noah rainin" like it has been for the last week.

Not including the sheetmetal swap,....The left to do list on the monster prior to a restart is pretty small I think...lets summarize.
  1. Put remaining decal, and graphic on passenger side of car.
  2. Hook up exhaust system
  3. Reinstall trans dipstick tube ( needs bigger o-rings to seal better) fill trans.
  4. Finish engine ( install dipstick, fuel injector rail, radiator, check valve lash, make a new stinkin gasket for valvecover, swap out leaking oil cooler, re-prime engine)
  5. Finish the tail lights and the panel ( sand, prime, sand again, prime, mask, paint it black..." I see a red door, and I want it painted black...")
  6. Hook up a couple of loose cut wires in the trunk....
  7. Charge the battery
  8. Say the little " Please start car,..please start car" prayer.
  9. Turn the key.
  10. Come on here, and gush over the restart going off without a hitch... Or...
  11. Come on here bitchin that the car won't start, wondering what you might have done wrong over the last 6 months that it's been out and apart.
It's Cadillac.

• Happy
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
How broken am I?

Let's just say the Humpty Dumpty ain't got sht on me. It's all I can do to move the finger required to type this.

The day starts off with me planning to put my hood and trunk in the wife's CADILLAC and take them to the soda blaster.
The hood won't fit.
I bail on that plan, because of all of the other stuff still left to do,..it's also not my plan to have to rent a van to take the hood to the soda blaster, just so I can rent it again to pick it back up.

So,.....I decide to strip it myself.

It wouldn't have been too bad had I not decided to buy a flaming piece of sht for a compressor. It takes a bagillion years to fill up, it's noisier than hell, and after the piece of junk finally gets up to 150 p.s.i........you got about 1 minutes worth of sanding before it runs out of air...and the sorry assed junk can't keep up with the CFM draw from my cheapo craftsman DA sander.

It took over an hour and a half to strip the hood....if the compressor could've kept up, it would've been 15 minutes.
20190225_155941_zpsnz2nu233.jpg

I was able to get the front edge mostly straight with a slight dent remaining.
20190225_155948_zpscvzdnihe.jpg

I primed the tail panel with a rattle can...
20190225_094019_zps2hheo6fl.jpg

And since I've got nothing I can do while I wait for paint to dry, I flip the hood over so I can fix this horrible disaster...
20190225_094013_zpskwr99sh5.jpg

Early Fairmont hoods are notorious for doing this, because this is where the Coke heads working at Ford design in the late 70's decided to put the prop rod...The previous owner had welded a cover plate over this hideous mess, after trying to weld the break back together...( something he clearly could not do)

But I can...
image.jpeg

Still a lot of work to make it look acceptable, but it'll get there.

Then I made a fatal error...I decided to put that stinkin cheap assed Bondo brand spot putty all along the inside radius's so I could create a "'fillet" sort of ding dang deal...

And it all went to hell from there....

That sht shrank....and promptly created a crack all along the inside radius,...a basically finished, ready for paint tail light section, now needing hours of sanding to get rid of every last trace of that red/orange/brownish crap that just ruined my day.
It burned me out so bad, I cut corners...and stopped caring if I got it to my 80% good rule....I painted it,..you can see body work.
20190225_160723_zpsuddqgv3c.jpg

It's right in plain sight... left turn signal, inside upper corner.

Discusted, I moved on,.hoping that it would dry, and maybe soften what you see.

I put the tail ligh lenses back together..
20190225_160707_zps7ozuzchn.jpg
The ground off mess used to be a bump..it wouldn't let the lens go flush inside the housings...the frames were pried off, the lenses polished, the frames painted in a stainless color, and glued back on..

I still have hours before that paint will be dry enough to even touch...I used this junk called "Matte black" ( also from a rattle can)
It's supposed to create a similar look to hot rod black, but so far it's too shiny...I've used it before...IIRC it takes 24 hours to dry to a point of being able to be handled...

So,..still too much time,.i filled the holes where there were screws holding the center section trim on,...sanded them down, primed them, and applied a 3m trim adhesive tape to the back of them.
Then I painted the center pieces the same stainless color that the trim rings were painted..
20190225_160350_zpsggbg7fhr.jpg

Again,.you can see a screw hole here and there....I don't care anymore.

And what would dinner be without a movie??

There's a certain amount of weird in it,..I'm whispering something to myself...( I think I'm counting to ten)

I'll look at the tail panel one more time in the light of day,...I just can't bring myself to put a piece of sand paper on it.

Reactions: 1 users
After looking at it, I'm pretty sure that the center section cyclone stuff is gonna hide that blurb to about the 90th percentile.
Those that know where to look will see it..but if you didn't know to look I think it won't be that noticeable.
That means that it'll be my and you're little secret.....

The LEDs are gonna get redone..I'm gonna make them reflect onto the back of the tail lights so that they fill the lens with reflected light..shouldn't be too hard to redo.

I'm gonna talk to #1 when I go into work today, and make him an offer he can't refuse......
" You gonna have 100 extra bucks here when you get paid?.....and if you do.?"
" You wanna buy a brand new compressor?"

And he comes and gets that piece of sht, and I go out and buy a real one..

Just like this one that I just bought.......
husky-stationary-air-compressors-vt6314-64_1000.jpg

Which is exactly like the one I used to have...it's weird...when you shop for compressors..HD is the only one that has a product like this for 500 bucks..not even HF has one for less.

Reactions: 2 users
After looking at it, I'm pretty sure that the center section cyclone stuff is gonna hide that blurb to about the 90th percentile.
Those that know where to look will see it..but if you didn't know to look I think it won't be that noticeable.
That means that it'll be my and you're little secret.....

The LEDs are gonna get redone..I'm gonna make them reflect onto the back of the tail lights so that they fill the lens with reflected light..shouldn't be too hard to redo.

I'm gonna talk to #1 when I go into work today, and make him an offer he can't refuse......
" You gonna have 100 extra bucks here when you get paid?.....and if you do.?"
" You wanna buy a brand new compressor?"

And he comes and gets that piece of sht, and I go out and buy a real one..

Just like this one that I just bought.......
husky-stationary-air-compressors-vt6314-64_1000.jpg

Which is exactly like the one I used to have...it's weird...when you shop for compressors..HD is the only one that has a product like this for 500 bucks..not even HF has one for less.
Make sure that pressure switch gets taken care of, don’t want to have to cram a screwdriver in there to make it run.:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.