Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

You guys can just shut
The phck
Up.
Considering that there is still a certain amount of “will it work” with this year’s decision to convert the engine over to a 2jay.
I’ve got to wonder/worry if I’ll have some weird vibration at any RPM as a result of having mated a transmission that don’t fit to the engine. My precision transmission mating techniques basically amounted to closing one eye to judge the alignment.

I've got to wonder/worry if the last piston will be a problem....it seemed that installing the second ring went a little weird. The ring seemed like it was made of rubber...it was waaay too flexible while installing it.

I’ve got to wonder/worry if the oil pan will leak, or if the external pick up tube will ever suck oil out of that pan, or if that -16 hose hanging beside the pan will create an obstacle to the engine install.

I’ve got to wonder about ever getting the thing to run, run right, make power, and survive being beat on...And with all of these concerns come the unexpected costs to remedy them if they in fact come to be. These days, boxes from Summit show up almost every day now,...the amount of money this swap has eaten up could have easily covered a complete Coyote conversion, and at this stage....I’m not about to add another 2000.00 to the bottom line that cams, shimless buckets, retainers and springs will cost me.

Mark me.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand the 'not wanting to spend the 2k' on custom cams and what ever else is needed to be able to twist it up to the stratosphere, now he reveals a 'funny' piston ring.
He is in the throws of a full blown auto munchausen episode.
Bolstered by the 'one eyed' trans adapter, could mike be building this so it does fail and he can 'fix' it again?
Or is really looking for new ways to unintentionally torture that cat?

So.... Second Turbo?
Leave the man be.
I understand the 'not wanting to spend the 2k' on custom cams and what ever else is needed to be able to twist it up to the stratosphere, now he reveals a 'funny' piston ring.
He is in the throws of a full blown auto munchausen episode.
Bolstered by the 'one eyed' trans adapter, could mike be building this so it does fail and he can 'fix' it again?
Or is really looking for new ways to unintentionally torture that cat?
Oh sure, ignore the custom made cam suggestions and point out the easy bolt on suggestion..
It's Mike's car and money.
Don’t believe I stated otherwise

Firstly, I get that I’m being kidded, and if anybody deserves to be kidded it’s me.
Secondly, I don’t need anybody to defend me regardless of whether or not I need defending. In this case, the only thing missing from the last exchange above was my omission of some smiley face to convey my true feeling.

Ill add that now. :doh:

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Firstly, I get that I’m being kidded, and if anybody deserves to be kidded it’s me.
Secondly, I don’t need anybody to defend me regardless of whether or not I need defending. In this case, the only thing missing from the last exchange above was my omission of some smiley face to convey my true feeling.

Ill add that now. :doh:
Now you listen here! I ain't defending you, I'm picking on @RaggedGT !

:D

This is how the morning started today.
IMAG0418_zpstrpw9w9y.jpg

These are the clearance specs for the intake cam. After using all of the shims to bring the exhaust cam into spec, ( which I was able to do...nicely), The remaining shims were way too thin. The micrometer I bought told the tale when comparing it to the vernier caliper I have....the caliper measures too fat. Once I got all 24 shims measured using the micrometer, I was able to get the exhaust cam lash between.010-.011. Minimum spec calls for .010-.014..I’m good there.
You can see what I had to order to make the intake cam come into line. I finally got the woman at the Lexus parts counter to do her job, and look up a part...( All the while she kept telling me she needed a VIN, because there were several part numbers when she plugged in “ valve shim for 2001 IS 300”) I asked her if I could see her screen, and there the damn things were right in front of her face. The line listed thicknesses starting with 2.500mm going all the way up to 3.300 In .50 mm increments.
I ordered the 11 pieces that you see at top, she charged me 97.00, they’ll be here tomorrow.
In the end,...not the end of the world.
So, with the remaining day in front of me,..I did puddly sht.
I hung the A2W I/c.
IMAG0420_zpscyisa0fv.jpg

That fitting is the same one that was on the old intercooler,.figured I may as well put it back the way it was.
I also ran the engine bay lines to the intercooler...I have all of this -12 stuff left over from trying to get the old monster engine from puking oil..all with stupidly expensive 120-150-180* hose ends attached, so what better place to reuse them bitches.
IMAG0416_zps1gros1te.jpg

I said I was gonna put a column support using a rod end at the firewall...and that’s what I did..
IMAG0417_zpscwutr99i.jpg

Which brings me to the final stages...These things needed to get done so that it would be easier to do with the engine out of the bay. Now, I’ve got the accessories mounted, the coil packs mounted, the steering column supported, and the intercooler hoses ran. Once the shims get here, I’ll get that cam clearanced properly, and put the front of the engine back together.

And when I get that done.....Engine mounting time.

And to bring this update to a nice tidy end...

This thing:
IMAG0419_zpskbfqrb5l.jpg

This is a 20v 1/2” drill purchased from HF. They now have 3 different “ tiers” of product in their cordless lineup.

This sweetie cost me 69.00...( said something about “ Compare to Milwaukee “). The guy at the counter wanted to know if I wanted to spend another 20.00 to give the thing a 2 year replacement warranty. ( (I chose not to). When I got home and opened the thing, and chucked up a bit, you can tell by the way that the thing tightened that it would be a problem sooner than later. Nonetheless, I started using it.

It drilled 3 holes and died. I had to dig through the trash can for the receipt.

The only thing that can be compared to Milwaukee with this flaming pile of Doo...is the color....other than that...Milwaukee it ain’t.

Reactions: 3 users
Recently bought a cordless “Dremel” type tool from HF. Figured no cord would be nice. Within 5 minutes the thing was smoking in my hand! Win some lose some with HF tools!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
My Dad bought me this cordless impact driver for a “house warming gift.” I’ve been using it almost daily since July and have charged the battery three times since the start. Built several walls, hung tons of drywall, drilled holes in studs for electrical, etc. It’s fallen off the top of the ladder several times and keeps on going. I love it.

07A0B75C-06EC-4E42-B4D8-CBB03135EC61.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
This thing:
IMAG0419_zpskbfqrb5l.jpg

This is a 20v 1/2” drill purchased from HF. They now have 3 different “ tiers” of product in their cordless lineup.

This sweetie cost me 69.00...( said something about “ Compare to Milwaukee “). The guy at the counter wanted to know if I wanted to spend another 20.00 to give the thing a 2 year replacement warranty. ( (I chose not to). When I got home and opened the thing, and chucked up a bit, you can tell by the way that the thing tightened that it would be a problem sooner than later. Nonetheless, I started using it.

It drilled 3 holes and died. I had to dig through the trash can for the receipt.

The only thing that can be compared to Milwaukee with this flaming pile of Doo...is the color....other than that...Milwaukee it ain’t.

I'm surprised...I was hoping their Bauer line was better. I can't complaint though. The only thing I have purchased from HF that hasn't lasted is the $9.99 heat gun. I've gone thru 2 of them doing the wiring on my 85. The first one was kind of cool...it kept working but started to sound like a pulse jet until fire and smoke belched out. The 2nd one last about half as long as the first and just wouldn't turn on one day. The last one I bought is different style and I haven't used it much yet.

Question is, did you swap it out or get a refund and go by a Makita or Dewalt?

I'm surprised...I was hoping their Bauer line was better. I can't complaint though. The only thing I have purchased from HF that hasn't lasted is the $9.99 heat gun. I've gone thru 2 of them doing the wiring on my 85. The first one was kind of cool...it kept working but started to sound like a pulse jet until fire and smoke belched out. The 2nd one last about half as long as the first and just wouldn't turn on one day. The last one I bought is different style and I haven't used it much yet.

Question is, did you swap it out or get a refund and go by a Makita or Dewalt?
What are you guys doing to your tools?

I've had the HF cheapie heat gun for 8 years, still works, and it even did a full re-wire on an Explorer interior harness last year.

The Bauer drill I don't have, but two coworkers at my last shop did and even getting used daily in the dustiest and grittiest shop I've worked in they both had over a year of use on them when I left last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.