Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a smog pump connected up backwards...if it blows air out of one end it's got to suck air in from the other end.
Just be sure to plumb it in after your oil separator; vane type pumps don't like oil or moisture. There probably is someone who will give you one just for the cost of shipping it to you.

• Sponsors (?)

Try a smog pump connected up backwards...if it blows air out of one end it's got to suck air in from the other end.
Just be sure to plumb it in after your oil separator; vane type pumps don't like oil or moisture. There probably is someone who will give you one just for the cost of shipping it to you.
Are you talking about an electric unit? I got no room for another belt driven accessory.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/drag-racing/1738897-my-custom-electric-crankcase-evac.html
http://grannys.tripod.com/evac.html

The 2nd link is the setup I bookmarked a while back. About half way down the page he modifies his separator to use manifold vacuum for the system and the electric motor only kicks on under boost. 4" Hg might not sound like a lot, but it's 4" Hg more than atmosphere which is what your breathers are seeing. You could probably pick one up cheap at the pull a part and do a dirty install just to check out the theory of operation.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/drag-racing/1738897-my-custom-electric-crankcase-evac.html
http://grannys.tripod.com/evac.html

The 2nd link is the setup I bookmarked a while back. About half way down the page he modifies his separator to use manifold vacuum for the system and the electric motor only kicks on under boost. 4" Hg might not sound like a lot, but it's 4" Hg more than atmosphere which is what your breathers are seeing. You could probably pick one up cheap at the pull a part and do a dirty install just to check out the theory of operation.

Yeah I saw that the last time I was considering using one...and if I do ( which means I'll buy one today), I still gotta look into which one can best be adapted for the purpose, and run a wire to trigger it off of the water meth trigger ( which comes on at 5psi I think)

Reactions: 1 user
Somebody said that bad things come in threes....
Today Steve finds out that his engine is on the short list to bearing failure,....there's metal in his oil.
Today I find out that mine is on the same list.
He's fixin his, and me,....I'm selling mine....and I'm pricing it like it doesn't have an engine in it.

The metal in my oil looks like I swept up the floor after a grinding session and just poured it into the valve cover. The oil darin plugs came out with little metal afro's. The oil filter was contaminated, the oil itself looked like I added dirt to the mixture,.....the whole thing's a freakin disaster.

So,...with no options left me, I did the only thing that made sense at the time.

I went to O'reilly's, bought 7 qts of 10-40 syn and a FL1A, 6 new autolite 64 plugs,.....put/poured all that stuff in....and took the car out for a hammer session.

And made a video.

It's my typical boring video except when I pull up to a cop who compliments the car,...then watches in his rear view when I go the other way and watches...........me put the car sideways in traffic.

Then goes on the hunt to find me,......finds me,....pulls me over and says:

"C'mon Man! Don't put this thing sideways after talking to me!!! You don't want a 200.00 reckless driving ticket do you?"

That was an easy answer.

He let me go w just a verbal.... I came home and typed this.

So,...Back to sale mode...I'm not gonna pull an engine that has 7 hours of run time on it. I'll just price it like a roller of this magnitude with a bunch of parts......
That just happens to run.:nonono:

Reactions: 3 users
Just put an EcoBoost in it if you want it to be different. I have quietly questioned your sanity/desire for this engine from the beginning, but you are crazy to scrap an entire project over a bad engine. Could a sbf really be all that bad?

Joe

Just put an EcoBoost in it if you want it to be different. I have quietly questioned your sanity/desire for this engine from the beginning, but you are crazy to scrap an entire project over a bad engine. Could a sbf really be all that bad?

Joe
While that is a tempting thought. The fact that eco boost may or may not require a fuel system capable of direct injection pressure, a proprietary ecu, and may not mate to the SBF bellhousing I have are all road blocks.
And yes,...Id sell it before resorting to a SBF.

Barra’s (spl?) are showing up stateside now, and you had talked about 300ci truck blocks before.... You think there’s a chance that all the metal you found coulda been stuck in the block some where from the sleeve replacements?

Barra’s (spl?) are showing up stateside now, and you had talked about 300ci truck blocks before.... You think there’s a chance that all the metal you found coulda been stuck in the block some where from the sleeve replacements?
I was lax somewhere is all I know...the last engine came apart so cleanly...... I don’t understand what I woulda done different this time...I used 302 rod bearings this time as opposed to the 250 bearings because they were narrower. There was evidence that the old bearings were riding on the journal radius, so using 302 bearings would’ve eliminated that. I saw a warning sign that something was wrong when I changed the gauges, and swapped out the oil sending units,...there was metal debris on the tip of the old sending unit...
Probably an oil passage that was full of something from the machining process I guess....how do you know about this kinda stuff anyway?

I’m laying in bed wondering about the journal bearing on the turbo....wondering how much junk was gonna be sitting on top of the oil restrictor to that bearing....( there is a -4 hose that goes to -4 inlet that has a .060 hole in it)...I figured that by due process’that fitting should be plugged the fck up since the hole was so small, and those pieces looked so big...so at 6:30 am this morning I go down there and remove the hose to examine it....

No debris. ( but that is filtered oil....so that makes sense)

On one hand this is a 250.....these are the you tube engines that people drain all of the oil out of, and put a brick on the gas pedal in order to be able to blow them up...what’s a little metal in the grand scheme of things?

I’ve ran the engine...It may be prudent to buy another filter and cut that thing open to see how bad this last one got contaminated

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Maybe it's the Chinese Turbo seeking retribution from Tariffs? And I think all of the eco boost 4 and 6 cylinders have a conventional fuel pump in the tank that feeds an engine driven pump to boost to 3000psi for DI. In fact, I would think any direct injection engine, diesel or gas would almost HAVE to use a mechanical pump to get those kinds of pressures and be capable of 60,000 to 100,000 miles of warranty free service.

Change the filter again, put good oil in it. Run it. Check it. New filter. Run it til she blows. I doubt if you sell it, anyone is going to stick with that crossbreed anyway. They'll probably put a 6.2 LS in it.

:flame::chair:

Reactions: 1 user
I just saw this update...

Both of you are having it rough right now. Im not driving this metal in the oil fad. Just because 2 of the coolest guys here are doing it doesn't mean I will, too.

Selling the money will only leave a gaping hole in your heart. What would you do next ?....a cookie cutter m3....?

Maybe it's the Chinese Turbo seeking retribution from Tariffs? And I think all of the eco boost 4 and 6 cylinders have a conventional fuel pump in the tank that feeds an engine driven pump to boost to 3000psi for DI. In fact, I would think any direct injection engine, diesel or gas would almost HAVE to use a mechanical pump to get those kinds of pressures and be capable of 60,000 to 100,000 miles of warranty free service.

Change the filter again, put good oil in it. Run it. Check it. New filter. Run it til she blows. I doubt if you sell it, anyone is going to stick with that crossbreed anyway.
They'll probably put a 6.2 LS in it.

:flame::chair:

Ha...."they"

That option isn't off the table for me either.

I'm driving it to work today....It doesn't matter what I do at this juncture with the existing engine....the only correct option is to tear it apart.

I ain't doing that.

While in my head, that engine is the focal point of this car, to anybody else it's a complicated, underpowered, potential service nightmare waiting to bite them in the ass.
It's listed for sale on eBay and CL at 12k. I figure I'll take less. If the engine was not compromised, id list it for much more, but in lieu of the current situation.....it's "discounted".

It's a sign....it's the collective voice of all of the 5.0 owners in the US that have ever read my derogatory comments about a SBF telling me to choke on a oily metal dust milkshake and die.

I've had to do a lot of thinking....On one hand, the fix for this problem will probably be a week of labor and about 1000.00. That includes the new HG, getting my oil pump rebuilt, any machine work that'll need to be done,...and bearings/rings/ blah-blah.

On the other hand, If I run it till it dies...it'll be catastrophic. And I'd have to throw everything away. No point of keeping anything, because there'd be nothing I could use anywhere else. ( except in another heavily modified 250 block ) and I'm just not up for that. And.....equivalently,.......way more than 1000.00 to fix.

One the "other" other hand,.....If I don't sell the car, and fix "the problem", investing anymore money into this engine platform is throwing more money into a hole that ill never get even half back out of if/when I really want to sell the car...so,..in essence keeping the 6 alive would hurt me more than letting it die.

While I think the 6 is cool,....a buyer that may choose to race the monster, ( ludicrous to even think of) or worry about being able work on/fix that engine will not.

It's rat rod fodder. The perfect thing for some tatted up, 50's greaser wanna be 20 something that wants some engine for his
Rusty, hagged out, sitting on a horse blanket, slammed 56 f 100.

What could I sell the complete turbocharged engine alone for ya spose?

Status
Not open for further replies.