1987 LX won't start... Need Help!

87LX2.3

Apr 23, 2009
Central Iowa
Hi, I'm new to StangNet. I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me with a problem I'm having with my 'Stang. I have a 1987 LX with a 2.3l that won't start. I have currently replaced the fuel pump relay, battery, battery cables, and the starter solenoid. I finally got it running last week, and I drove it around town a couple of times. I was planning on driving it to school tomorrow, so I decided to make sure it would start. When I opened the door, the dome light came on, so I know I've got battery power. I went ahead and tried to start it. It cranks over perfect, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be getting gas. I don't hear the fuel pump running, but that doesn't mean it's not. I don't know what's going on, so any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Crank it over a few times, then check the spark plugs to see if they're wet. If they are you're getting fuel so it's another problem.

When I first built the engine for my Thunderbird it would crank and sounded like it ALMOST wanted to start but wouldn't. It was definitely getting fuel and had compression.

I pulled out the distributor and replaced it with the one off my old engine and it fired right up. I don't know if it was the distributor itself or the TFI, but that's something to consider. You might have a TFI on the fritz.

Thanks, I'll try that. How do I test the TFI? I know it's located on top of the intake manifold, but other than that, I don't know what it looks like or what to do to isolate the problem. Can you give any ideas?

tfi

any parts store should be able to test it for you....

i had an 88 t-coupe and after re fueling had a no start ,,,the cam for the dizzy broke...pull cap and turn engine over,,see if the rotors turning?....among other things...