Electrical 1993 Mustang GT Clock Spring

79pace

something stupid will fall out of my mouth
Founding Member
Jul 21, 2000
Tulsa, OK
So from what I can tell this is a 93 specific part and it is also discontinued (thanks a lot Ford). I am pretty sure mine is broken or damaged as the air bag light blinks, I get a dull beeping under the dash periodically and the horn does not work. Has anyone successfully retrofitted another or found a solution? I really would like to fix this right but I am afraid my only option may be to find someone parting out a 93 some day and install one just a sold as mine and possibly have the same issues. The part number is F3ZZ-14A664-A . Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

This is a well discussed topic. You have two choices:
Obtain a new clock spring (good luck), or unplug and pull the computer module just behind the HVAC controller.
I did the latter and also removed the airbag light in the instrument cluster. Problem permanently solved.

How do I get the horn and cruise control stuff working again if I ditch everything? I did hear about someone retrofitting a 94 spring to work but no details about it.

Ditch the airbag. It probably won't work after all this time.
that's what I'm thinking of doing... all my stuff worked when I took car a parts 6 years or so ago now... in put together process now... have dash out... and thinking not putting the airag module back in, or the sensors on the core support... gets rid of some wiring that way.... plus... who knows if that 30+ year old airbag would even work... and I really don't want to find out... I heard these early bags were very angry when they deployed... lol... and god knows what kind cancer causing stuff those were filled with back then... plus I think I would like to change out the wheel anyway.... plus, plus.... who knows if driving down the road the thing malfunctions and just goes off due to old age deterioration... ect....

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, If I am going to rip it all out I dont want the wheel to look any different so I may either leave the air bag in there and un hook it or I could try to gut it but I doubt thats safe. But somehow i would like to have my Horn and Cruise buttons working again.

When I put my 90 GT back together (previous owner disassembled and then parked for 12 years) the air bag light flashed/came on. Code indicated the module. Found it in the driver side quarter panel well below quarter window. Disconnected it, cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in. All is good. This had not been disassembled by previous owner. Likely never touched from factory.

Part of why I have a newer Fox is for the airbag, as long as it’s not a Takata, I will take angry airbag over eating the steering wheel or windshield.
There has to be a retrofit part from another car or a way to repair it.

I remember this guy used original airbag connectors and spliced into a 1994 airbag.Do some searching I'm sure you'll find it.

Ok, If I am going to rip it all out I dont want the wheel to look any different so I may either leave the air bag in there and un hook it or I could try to gut it but I doubt thats safe. But somehow i would like to have my Horn and Cruise buttons working again.
You can unhook the air bag at the connection in the steering wheel, disconnect the beeping thing behind the glove box and pull the bulb out of the cluster, do this with the battery disconnected.
Once you unplug the bag there is zero chance of it going off.