1995 5.0 questions and advice

Cannon77550

Jan 7, 2018
Galveston, TX
Hey guys.... got a 95 gt 5.0 mostly stock except some flowmasters. First question is my driver window started clicking when trying to roll it up or down. My question is do these window motors have those 3 little plastic bushings in the gear set? Had a 92 f150 with the same problem and it was a simple fix. Replaced the bushings and it was like new.
Also I have an oil leak which I suspect is the rear main seal since I have an oil soaked oil pan and the bell housing is also wet. I plan on taking that in to get fixed but that's where my question comes into play. I suspect I have a clutch on its way out and plan on having it replaced when they do the rear main seal. My question is... is there a noticeable difference between an oem clutch and a stage 1 are they the same thing? Also would it be worth it or am I best just to do oem replacement? I'm not planning on doing any crazy mods anytime soon. Maybe intake and redo exhaust, maybe gears and a short shifter. Eventually I'd like to do heads and a stroker kit but that will be atleast a year or two down the road.
Also, currently my exhaust is set up as straight pipes with flowmasters. Would it be worth the cash to have the shop add in a cross pipe (h pipe) while they have the exhaust off for the oil leak? Or would it not make much of a difference?

• Sponsors (?)

The window motor clicks while going up or down or it does not move and just clicks?
The h pipe helps with low end torque and changes the sound of the exhaust, not knowing what your exhaust system looks like just adding a crossover tube may be ok, several companies make a bolt on h pipe but it will depend on what headers and pipes are on it and what you are going to add to it. When I added my off road h pipe I took the time to open up the hole in the pipe where the crossover tube was welded, the hole was only about 1 1/2 inches and the pipe s are 2 1/2 inches, I don't know it does any good but I'm known for doing stupid crap that may be a waste of time.
And make sure that leak that looks like a rear main seal is not coming from the back of the intake.

For the clutch, I'm a big fan of the Valeo King Cobra setup. Stock driveability but much better clamping force (no slipping with ~450 turbo horsepower), and a slightly lighter pedal feel. For the price it's a really nice upgrade from stock and will easily handle mild (and even heavy) modifications. "Stage 1" means different things to different manufacturers - you'll want to read the reviews on any specific clutch you're considering.