Electrical 1997 - Alternator Blowing Fuses and Fusible links

TNMoonshiner

Mar 24, 2018
Hello All, I have a 1997 GT that my son and I rebuilt (wrecked front). After rebuilding the front end, we installed a new battery and had the alternator checked to make sure it was charging. My son had been driving the car for a month with no issue, and then an electrical gremlin popped up.
He said that he started the car and heard a loud pop, and then saw a little smoke from under the hood. We found that the fusible links from the alternator had blown, and we replaced them with an inline fuse.
Took the alternator to a local shop for a bench test and it was bad. Bought a new one, had them bench test before we left store and it was good to go.
Installed the new alternator and new fuse with no issue. After about 20 minutes of driving the fuse blew again. I've searched through the forums, but can't seem to find a link related to this issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure the fuse rating is the same as the fusible link(they use a fusible link for a reason(I would dump the fuse and get the fusible link installed..
Front end damage could have possibly damaged some wiring, I would go over the wiring using a schematic to track it down.

My vote is that the insulation is damaged on the main B+ cable perhaps where it has been routed over something metal. Over time the wire is grounding out and blowing the fusible link.

If you can't find anything look close at the alternator connector itself. See the video from SMA Auto on how this connector might be overheated.

Here's some more information that might be of help.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Reactions: 1 user