1st test drive with the new turbo

ForceFed70

That's why they call it "dope"
Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
BC Canada
1st test drive with the new turbo setup was last night, and I'm still smiling!

I've got a bunch of tuning work to do still, it goes way lean until about 3300rpm where it then goes rich.

But already I'm seeing the potential. With some tuning I'm confident I can get it to make the same power at 6PSI as I made with the 150 shot of N20.

Master Power T70 turbo with .81AR turbine housing. From my datalogs it starts to make positive pressure at about 2000RPM and 6PSI by about 2400RPM.

I could listen to that blow off valve all day....

Here's a link to the build thread if your interested:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=726878&page=4
attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

1st test drive with the new turbo setup was last night, and I'm still smiling!

Ahhh yes. I remember that part. My cheeks were cramped on the first drive. Time for a gear change, then clutch shortly after. Otherwise you'll definitely be part of of Marios family. :lol: :rlaugh: :eek: :nonono: Sorry Mario that's a good problem to have though right ?

Wastegate doing its job so far ?

Wastegate doing its job so far ?

It's a good problem to have! :nice: But yeah, I'm thinking a gear change is in order... especially with a 5 speed. With the T5, 3.73's and the turbo 1st gear is useless and you've got to take it easy in 2nd. You can't really get into it until 3rd.

Wastegate is doing great so far. Holding steady at 6PSI. But I haven't boosted over 4500RPM yet, still tuning.

Any news to report?
I found this doing a search on turbos, as I was toying with the idea of putting one on my Comet, but I think its a little more involved than Im looking to get right now. Maybe in a few years.:rock:

Any news to report?
I found this doing a search on turbos, as I was toying with the idea of putting one on my Comet, but I think its a little more involved than Im looking to get right now. Maybe in a few years.:rock:

News? Hmmm not a lot really. Still at 6PSI until I can afford to swap transmissions and build a new engine. Got the tune down and she's still running like a champ. Cast pistons, stock style head gasket and all. I was kinda expecting to have to build an engine or transmission this winter, but I went easy on the tranny and no problems with the engine. Hopefully I can get another season out of them.

Total cost? I'd say about $2500 by the time you add up all of the bits n pieces. Could have done it cheaper with ebay wastegate, no intercooler,etc.

I have found that I'm running into spark issues tho... missing at 5500rpm and above. The ignition driver built into the Megasquirt just isn't enough for a turbo v8 application. So this winter I'm working on an EDIS8 swap.

Otherwise I'm really happy... everything just kinda worked. Didn't have to go back and fix/modify anything at all.

I am regretting my pre-turbo gear choice tho. The 3.73's are just too damn low... 1st is a joke and it's honestly a bit of a pain to drive like that.

That's pretty funny. There are guys on the MS boards suggesting selling their boxes because the MS driver are strong enough. Why not go to a 6 series ? Spark scatter ?

Yeah, the MS driver is little better than a stock HEI or TFI setup. Wouldn't be too bad on a 4cyln where you've got lot's of charge time (dwell), but not so great on a v8.

The biggest reason I didn't go with a MSD box is because I wanted to go distributorless. The EDIS setup has an excellent reputation for accuracy, reliability, and lots of spark energy but still allows me to control timing via the megasquirt. It's cheap too. Was able to pick up the used EDIS8 module, coil packs, wiring pigtails, sensor, etc all for under $100. Plus... I kinda like a challange.