1st time down the track

Went to Quakercity raceway today and actually ran for the first time EVER. I went best 12.8 at 110. This was not too bad for my first time dealing with all that goes into racing drag. Its alot harder than it looks. My 60' was a sad 1.95 and my reaction time was .959 :notnice: . I know my Cobra can go way better because the guy next to me went 11.7 at 109 so I can cut a way better ET. Any advice on the 60' and first 1/8 mile I would appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

gtstangrunner said:
Went to Quakercity raceway today and actually ran for the first time EVER. I went best 12.8 at 110. This was not too bad for my first time dealing with all that goes into racing drag. Its alot harder than it looks. My 60' was a sad 1.95 and my reaction time was .959 :notnice: . I know my Cobra can go way better because the guy next to me went 11.7 at 109 so I can cut a way better ET. Any advice on the 60' and first 1/8 mile I would appreciate it.
Don't worry about the reaction time, that will come around... worry about all the mechanics involved first. Cleaning the tires off (burnout), staging, shifting, etc...

What was the temp outside? A 1.95 60' is pretty good if you are still on the stock GY F1's. With your current mods and a 1.95 60' time I would have though you'd be in the low 12's though? Either it was very hot out, or maybe you were granny shifting it? 110MPH is a pretty slow trap speed for your mods/car. Need more input on weather conditions and DA. Being your first trip to the track I'd say you did pretty good! :nice:

U.M.

It was about 89 degrees and pretty humid. I drove like 30 minutes to get there. The car was hot and I do not powershift. I am running BFG drag radials and got some wheel hop out the gate. I'm not sure of the best way to launch this car yet without bogging or hopping. I know the car can do much better than what it did. I did not realize how important that 60' marker was.

gtstangrunner said:
It was about 89 degrees and pretty humid. I drove like 30 minutes to get there. The car was hot and I do not powershift. I am running BFG drag radials and got some wheel hop out the gate. I'm not sure of the best way to launch this car yet without bogging or hopping. I know the car can do much better than what it did. I did not realize how important that 60' marker was.
Sounds like your car was pretty heat soaked before you ever made it to the starting line. These cars will lose a couple tenths to heat soak very easily. Best to let it sit for an hour or more between runs to get the best possible times. As for the 60'... for every 100th you save on the 60' time you'll see almost a 10th on the big end! The first 60' is the most important part of the race!

U.M.

I would definately let the car cool down, and wait for a cooler day. The launch is critical too. Your 60ft is respectable. I am happy when I do better than a 2.0. 1.9 is good for a first time racer. I think you did a good job.

Well I forgot to mention and you guys are going to want to beat me like a red head step child but my 12.8 run was with a completly full trunk of goodies. 2 10's in a box, a nice size amplifier, my spare and jack :rlaugh: . Thats probably a good 70-80+ pounds. I know I'm dumb. The bad part is I didn't even turn on the booms while running. All that crap will come out next time. And I know the good old formula F=ma, I just went right after work on a whim. How much do you think the stuff in the trunk hurt me?????

do you still have the stock shifter? If not you will benefit from going with a short throw shifter..one of the biggest challenges with these cars is learning to launch.. I always had a stinking clutch after I launched but I had nice 60ft times..1.6-1.8

practice and dont get discouraged..

when you bring the car off from idle you are shocking the IRS. that will contibute to wheel hop. I don t know what all your mods are but sticky tires help with wheel hop as well as full length subframe connectors and swapping out the IRS bushings.
you also need to power shift the cars because the boost drops off betwen shifts and takes too long to recover. that results in slower ETs. You really do need a short throw shifter if you are going to be racing much. even on the street you will enjoy it much better.

if you tach up too high you will just spin out of the hole..that is why it is best to just take the car and practice launching.These cars on street tires are a real challenge.