2.3 to carbed 5.0 questions (wiring & stuff)

MrKwik

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2000
Kansas City, Kansas
I am doing a 2.3 to carbed 5.0 conversion on a 93 convertible. The motor is out and gone and I am trying to get rid of all extra BS in the engine compartment that wont be used for the new motor. I want to remove the computer alltogether if possible, but I am a bit confused. Does the EEC just control the engine and trans? I was kind of thinking that the engine/EEC harness was kind of standalone and would be easy to remove but it seems to prety intigrated with every thing else. My plan is to unloom all the harnesses and seperate what I dont need and hide/loom the rest back up. I got into it and I found some things that I am not real sure what they do and if it is safe to remove them. Please help me decide what is nessceary and what isnt. I mean street car nessecary not race car nessecary. The cruise, A/C, air bag system, an anything smog related are going but the heater and any other accessories need to work. I have made a list of the things that I need help on. I have done some searching and came up dry. If anybody knows a good site that covers any of this stuff please point me to it. Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry this is so long:shrug:

1-cruis control canister thing in fender. is it only for cruise? will it affect anything if I get rid of it?

2-black box on passenger side frame rail wit vacuum lines going to it. what is it and do I need it? one line goes into the fender, where does it go?

3-black relay box on passenger strut tower, does it control anything except fan and stuff for the 2.3? Can I get rid of it?

4-vacuum switch on back of passenger side strut tower that has a green and red line and a electrical connector on it, can it go away?

5-there is a sensor in the heater hose near the firewll, do I need it?

6-pressure switch in the power steering hose, does his just send some kind of signal to the EEC or does it do something else?

7-power wires at solenoid, do I need to keep them all or do amy go to EEC stuff? also, there is a ground behind the batt with what looks like an inline fuse but I think its just a quick connect, know what it is for?

8-besides the power brake booster, what other vacuum lines do I need to keep. Which one works the heater controls?

• Sponsors (?)

#2 charcoal canister do a search there was good stuff just
yesterday. It vents the gas and gas tank fumes some say
can go......some say no. I think yah but I got a carbed car.
One answer max from me. I too am involved in the same project
among many others to build the beast. Goodluck.

85GTlover said:
#2 charcoal canister do a search there was good stuff just
yesterday. It vents the gas and gas tank fumes some say
can go......some say no. I think yah but I got a carbed car.
One answer max from me. I too am involved in the same project
among many others to build the beast. Goodluck.
OK, I will check #2 off my list. Guess I will just hook it back up. Dont imagine it is hurting anything.

Anybody got anything to add on the other stuff?

Haha...I am doing the same thing to a 92 convertible, and I too am having these difficulties. I would like to keep cruise and so on, but I dont know how that is all going to pan out...

email me if you got any tips, I am just in the beggining of pulling everything out, at [email protected]

I didnt think anyone else was crazy enough to go to a carb for the street...haha, we at least there are 2... thanks man.. :spot: :spot:

Lets try one question at a time then. I want to remove the cruise control thing in thr fender, willthat affect anything else? Also, what is the vacuum switch on the back of the passenger tower for? Well thats two but whatever.