2 baby seats in the back? Is it possible?

RangerMan

Oct 30, 2004
Hey everyone,

Haven't gotten a chance to take a look at a new 'stang yet. I was wondering how many child seat anchors there were in the '05 and if it would be possible to fit two child seats in the back. How much bigger is the back seat compared to an '02 (current 'stang).

My wife has an '02 V6 and I am pretty tempted to trade in my Ranger and get an '05 (or '06) but I am curious about how crammed the rear seats are and if you could fit 2 baby seats...we don't have any kids yet so I don't know anything about the seats either or how the anchors work or anything...

Anyone with kids in child seats and an '05 I am curious to hear!

Oh yeah it will be a GT 5spd assuming I get the 'stang!

• Sponsors (?)

My wife forced me to put our babyseat in one before she would sign off on it.

no problems with width. You have plenty of that for 2 seats and you have two anchors and they will not interfere with each other.

The problem we did notice is that you have to watch out how far you set the seat back or it can force your childs foot downward. Not to the point it would hurt them would just be uncomfortable at the most.

The only thing that concerned my wife was the amount of space between the child seat and the back of the seat. You may have to use a towel or one of those roll up things to get it to set even with the back. Again though you will have no problems getting two of them back there.

She signed off of it though and that says alot.

The funny part is after we spend 30 minutes in the car she tells the salesman she doesnt want this one because people have gotten it dirty !

Never even wanted a Mustang till 05. I can tell you this though it really is true that pictures dont do this car justice.
Once you sit it in there is almost no way to walk away from it.

I am 6'2" and I can extend my left leg all the way and still have about an inch left to play. That was with the drivers seat all the way back.

It will be a very different story with a rear-facing child seat though, which is what you'll need when you first have kids (1st year). They take a TON of room. I could only put mine behind the passenger seat, and then I had to move the passenger seat far forward and make it very upright. It was really uncomfortable for my wife to sit in front.

When my kids got older, I put both in forward-facing seats in the back and it was okay. The one behind me had to cross her legs in her seat, though, because there was no leg room.

This was in an '00 convertible, so the new ones will offer a bit more room.

Just sat in the 05. And it is not possible(comfortably) for a rear-facing car seat. And the booster(forward-facing) seats are going to be uncomfortable for the kids also, especially if you are about 6 feet tall or more. They will most likely have to pick their feet up like someone already mentioned. The backseat feels smaller than the 04. Just throw the kids in the trunk :D j/k

I've been using car seats in my 2000 GT for years. I'm 6'1" and no I can't put a seat behind me. Even with a booster my son's feet can't fit because of the position it forces his feet to go into. So his seat goes behind the front passenger. My older daughter can fit behind me because her feet go under the seat. I went to look at the 2005 today and it looks like there's less space in the back than in my 2000. The magazines claim its bigger but the two 2005's I saw with front seat pulled all the way back had the back of the fronts touching the back seat. I would try a car seat before buying it. I was also wondering if its possible to disarm the passenger airbag.

you can get the seats in however the problem is getting your kids in and out that is a major pain in the a....,your back will break then you will rage like the hulk when the temp is over 85 not a pretty sight..but good luck. :D

Guys, cmon...

I'm gonna have to put a baby seat in the back of mine too, but lets be realistic for a second... It's not a minivan, it's a Mustang! Car seats weren't exactly in mind when this car was designed.

The rear seat anchors have been mandatory on all new cars since 03 I believe.