2 quick questions ....

GeneralGrant

May 12, 2003
Ok first how do i know when my clutch is broken in.
Im crossing the 400 mile mark on it but im not sure if i can start whooping on it yet.

second my brakes are kinda spongy and it doesnt seem to go away when i pump the brakes. The car appears to only be stoping with the fronts according to the guy that i had look at it. He seems to think that it is possibly a collapsed line or a master cylinder. Any ideas or suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

GeneralGrant said:
Ok first how do i know when my clutch is broken in.
Im crossing the 400 mile mark on it but im not sure if i can start whooping on it yet.

second my brakes are kinda spongy and it doesnt seem to go away when i pump the brakes. The car appears to only be stoping with the fronts according to the guy that i had look at it. He seems to think that it is possibly a collapsed line or a master cylinder. Any ideas or suggestions?

The break in period for a new clutch is dependant on who you talk to. I have heard as little as 50 miles, and as much as 500. 500 sounds good to me. That is how long I waited.

Now, onto brakes. What is the condition of your pads/rotors on all 4 wheels. I have noticed that even when you turn rotors and put on new pads, the rotors will not mate well, causing the brakes to get very glazed. If the pads are glazed, and you turned the rotors w/ the new pads, get brand new rotors and brand new pads. This might eleviate your problem.

The master cylinder has two cylinders. One cylinder for the rear, and one from the front. If you suspect the mechanic is right, remove all four wheels and watch the calipers engage the pads to the rotors. If the rear pads are not being engaged, you have a problem with your master cylinder. There are pressure valves that can be replaced individually, and one of these may be the culprit. But first read my steps below.

First, check for fluid loss. If the reservoir maintains fluid, that is a good sign. If you are losing/lost fluid, go to step 3.

Second, bleed the brakes, then test drive. If braking does not improve, go to step three.

Third, check the brake lines for any crimps/cuts/damage. If you have fluid loss, have someone pump the brakes while you examine each line. That should bring the culprit to the surface. Replace as necessary. Bleed the brakes and test drive.

Fourth, consult your haynes manual. It should tell you how to narrow down your problem to a specific component.
Scott

Well i got the wheels out and bled the lines and checked for collapsed ones. No luck. IM going back tonight to adjust the rear calipers. If thats not it im guessing master cylander. But i was told that master cylanders general work or dont and i wouldnt have breaks at all. I have breaks it just seems to only be the fronts. So i dunno what's up....

As for the clutch, my last two have been installed either the day before, or day of track testing. So in other words, I break them in at the track. Is this the right way to do it, no, but I haven't had a problem doing it this way either.

Killercanary said:
As for the clutch, my last two have been installed either the day before, or day of track testing. So in other words, I break them in at the track. Is this the right way to do it, no, but I haven't had a problem doing it this way either.
I got a feel for the new pedal pressure going down the road, and at the first red light, I stomped it and let it bite second pretty hard. I had about 8 tenths of a mile for the break in period. I would say 50-100 very safely conservatively driven miles would be good. The installation and the proper alignment is what really matters. The 400 miles does wear the clutch in, but it allows everything to "seat" right, if you understand what I mean. I think you are well beyond your break-in period. Go out and stomp on it.

Joe