2 steps forward, 10 steps back... ANOTHER problem...

inphiniti

Mar 15, 2003
Providence, RI
its true, everytime you try and do something good for your car somethin breaks... its as if you just cant get by it...

my car feels as tho it wantts to fall on its face... its skipping and studdering. we've done a tune up(cap, plugs, wires and fuel filter...) we've done some searchs for a vaccume leak... we saw that the tp level is little higher than 1 i believe my buddy said. other than that the cars not throwin out any codes other than that and the car is running lean...

i personally think its a intake gasket or somethin...

the car sounds like it has a cam in it, however the cams not installed yet... atleast it gives me an idea of how its supposed to sound :rlaugh:

any ideas

• Sponsors (?)

is it surging?? if it is it might be a vacuum leak on ur intake

like i said, it sounds like i have a cam in the car... when i drive it norrmally, when the RPMs raise, it feels as if i am driving a 5spd, and i am in first gear... and im taking off, but either letting off the clutch too early or not giving it enough gas

mind you, i drive an auto... im sure that was a bad analogy, but you get the idea... itll feel like it wants to cut out when goin from Rev to Drive...

again im still thinkin the vaccum leak on the intake which would be solved once we put the new intakes in..

Clean the MAF and ACT sensors, especially if you have a reusable filter and you just cleaned & re-oiled it.

Could your CAI have popped loose? As for your TPS, did you adjust your idle? I've seen several posts here that describe how to reset your idle. I'd wait until you find the leak before you adjust your idle or you'll have to do it all over again.

Did you re-use any gaskets? I have a bad habit of re-using the upper-to-lower intake gasket and more often than not it ends up leaking.

ill go with, lower intake manifold leak, and or blown head gasket. I had thoughts problems, look into the serious ones first instead of the usual tune up thing... another time my car did that the fuel pump fuse was intermittently going in and out... don't ask...

its skipping and studdering.

Reminds me of a kid I went to school with.

Put a meter on the TPS signal wire and watch for a linear, unbroken sweep from 1 to ~4.5 volts.

Does it act differently if you take off with very little throttle input vs a WOT launch?

Clean the MAF and ACT sensors, especially if you have a reusable filter and you just cleaned & re-oiled it.

Could your CAI have popped loose? As for your TPS, did you adjust your idle? I've seen several posts here that describe how to reset your idle. I'd wait until you find the leak before you adjust your idle or you'll have to do it all over again.

Did you re-use any gaskets? I have a bad habit of re-using the upper-to-lower intake gasket and more often than not it ends up leaking.

im going to try and clean the MAF this weekend... no idle was adjusted... CAI was teh first thing we checked... as far as the gaskets, theyre still the stock gaskets... i never swapped anything over on teh motor yet, this problem came up before hand...

ill go with, lower intake manifold leak, and or blown head gasket. I had thoughts problems, look into the serious ones first instead of the usual tune up thing... another time my car did that the fuel pump fuse was intermittently going in and out... don't ask...

lol. thats waht i think it is to be honest, i think its a intake gasket... but who am i, certainly not a mechanic LOL

Reminds me of a kid I went to school with.

Put a meter on the TPS signal wire and watch for a linear, unbroken sweep from 1 to ~4.5 volts.

Does it act differently if you take off with very little throttle input vs a WOT launch?

yes it does... it acts as if i am driving a 5spd for the first time. you know, when you either let off the clutch too quickly or dont give it enough gas it wants to bog out and die on its face. (sorry thats teh best analogy i got :D) WOT, same thing.... my buddy still thinks its too much air getting into the motor, hence where a gasket would be shot would come into play...

also once and awhile ill hear what soudns to be like a knock against somethin... it could be combustion of the extra air getting in, no?

while the car is idling, spray carb cleaner at the possible leak spots. when it is close to the leak, some of the carb cleaner will be sucked in and the idle will change for a second.

good luck

thats exactly what i did... not much changed... no idea what else it could be :shrug:

you did the plug wires, and it seems like it has a cam........
look at the routing of the plug wires, make sure none are touching the headers, or even burnt thru shorting out, happened to me once

mine was obvious, big hole burnt right thru, one of the looms broke off, wire resting right on a tube, I just pulled the slack out, stopped it from shorting out, worked fine until i replaced the wire

while you're at it make sure they're all on good and tight

I've had the best luck with accel plug wires form the local parts store, the kind you cut to fit, piece of cake to do if you get the crimper/cutter tool. My wires are cut to fit, with very little slack, no worries of falling on a tube again

good luck

They do look very nice, they would have looked really good w/ my TFS Intake but to late now, the Ford Racing covers will look pretty killer anyway.

Are you just waiting to hear back from Ed regarding the cam? Are you going to need a spring upgrade or are you not sure yet?