200 CI stock carb leaking Gas..HELP!!!!

haze187

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2001
NYC, LA, PHOENIX
this just started today! i smelled gas and the car was choking bad... it starts up fine then about 15 seconds into idle it spews gas from the throttle pin that goes from the throttle linkage in the rear of the carb, straight through the carb, and out the front, with the spring. I may be wrong but thats what I saw when my GF started it and I watched... has anyone else had a similar problem? Im not that good with carbs.... so any suggestions would be wonderfull...

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the needle and seat in the float bowl - the valve that's actuated by the float (works just like a toilet tank) has stopped working. Oftentimes, that's a simple matter of getting some dirt stuck in between the needle and seat. Otherwise, it could be a variety of things - old float that no longer floats, needle and seat that have worn out and failed, or a needle that's come unattached from the float. In any case, you'll have to take the carb apart and figure out what's happening. If you're up to it, buy a rebuild kit and take it step by step. If you're not that patient, buy a remanufactured carb, bolt it on and be done with it. Hope that help.

i really do not now anything about carbs, this thing was running just fine ever since I got the car 6 months ago..If I take it apart should I be looking for sticky parts, dirt or other things that do not belong, I sure hope this is a simple fix, I need this car to get back to LA in a week...

If you've never taken a carb apart, and don't have the time to go up the learing curve (there's a fairly steep one here), just go to an auto parts store and order a remanufactured unit. Do yourself a favor - a carburetor is an intricate device that has many more way to not-work than to work. That's my advice fwiw...:D

i got very lucky. I took the carb apart, gently of course, and the gasket was in vrey very good shape so that did not fall apart...I found the float pin and it was stuck, I tapped it and it fell to the floor. The pin and housing looked fairly new because they were very clean.. I put it all back together and she runs fine now with no leaking!! lets hope she holds up!

thanx alot guys!

-Marcel