2001 oil pressure problem

2fast4u2

Mar 1, 2006
detroit
earlyer this morning on my way to work i noticed that my oil pressure was not working. so i pulled over and checked my oil. It was fine. so i stared my car back up and it went to the middle. then it dropped back down. everytime i rev it up it will go back to the middle and stay there for like 5 sec. then it will go back down like the car is off. my friend from work said that it could be my oil pressure switch. I just got a new 1 from the local auto parts store and i have no clue how to put it in or where it is. i would really aperciate it if anybody could help me out if they know where it is. Is there any tricks or special tools i need to know before i try to put it in tomorrow?

thank you.
Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

Check the connector described above. Unplug it and check for damage or exposed wires. Plug it back in. If that doesn't fix it, your oil pressure sending unit needs to be replaced. That may very well be the part you picked up already. It's what the sensor connector plugs in to next to the oil filter.

It's not hard to replace. As said above, get up under there, on the driver side, where the oil filter is. You'll see it plugged in to the oil filter housing.It's just a cylinder shaped thing with a wire on it. Unplug the wire from it, then screw it counterclockwise to remove it. A bit of oil will spill out of there so be prepared for that. Install the new one (if I were you I'd wrap its threads with teflon tape first,) and tighten it down. Replace the oil you spilled earlier, and try it out.