2002 GT - Scraping sound on passenger rear wheel

logan1997

Jun 8, 2018
Fort Payne
So my dumba** drove about about a mile with the parking break on, (not the first time) and now I've noticed a scraping/grinding sound when around 5 mph. (it may still grind beyond 5mph, I just can't hear it because my car is too loud) It also only happens when I'm accelerating, as I've put it in neutral and let it roll to a stop. The sound repeats itself faster the faster I go, and only when I'm in gear. I've coasted in neutral and I hear nothing. I checked under the car, and I've noticed the aluminum piece behind the right brake pad is bent a little bit. It's not bent much, but when compared to the driver side you can notice a difference. Dumbed-down answers would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first car and I'm not very fluent with how cars work mechanically.

• Sponsors (?)

So the sound is coming from the rear, right? Does the application of the brakes(you could use the EBrake or pedal) make a difference in the sound?

So the sound is coming from the rear, right? Does the application of the brakes(you could use the EBrake or pedal) make a difference in the sound?
So I have discovered it does happen when I put it in neutral and coast. I did further testing last night, and I rolled going 40 and I heard the scraping. I don't think the brakes make it sound any different, but the faster I go the sound repeats itself faster.

Put the rear axle on jackstands and have someone turn the wheel on the other side and listen/look for the noise with the wheel off. Probably the brake dust shield coming in contact with the rotor, or one of the pad clips wasn't seated properly and is lightly scraping.