Engine 2004 gt engine swap

H12

Feb 14, 2024
Las Vegas
Hello everyone,

Potential first car and I need you're help

Hello everyone I wondering if I could get you're guys help. So there is a lot to the story but to summarize it up, my friend is selling a ford mustang gt 2004 v8. The chasis has about less then 150 xxx miles (150,000).

There is a whole in the block so I know I have to engine swap. The engines I've searched up that fit Into a 04 are to make power. To be completely honest though I don't want power I want more reliability. So my questions are
What else do I have to replace? (Has been sitting for over 2 years)
What are some things that are overlooked?
is it worth it? (It terms of longevity and reliability)
If this is to much I'm sorry about that but I genuinely want to know. I'm very willing to put the time and elbow grease into it. I have a helping hand but that's about it. I’ve been trying to do my own research and seen many videos rebuilding the engine bolt by bolt. My dad is mechanically knowledgeable but I wouldn't say either of us are experts in the slightest. Any help will help, please and thank you.

P.s Please ask me questions, I appreciate you're knowledge.

• Sponsors (?)

Hello everyone,

Potential first car and I need you're help

Hello everyone I wondering if I could get you're guys help. So there is a lot to the story but to summarize it up, my friend is selling a ford mustang gt 2004 v8. The chasis has about less then 150 xxx miles (150,000).

There is a whole in the block so I know I have to engine swap. The engines I've searched up that fit Into a 04 are to make power. To be completely honest though I don't want power I want more reliability. So my questions are
What else do I have to replace? (Has been sitting for over 2 years)
What are some things that are overlooked?
is it worth it? (It terms of longevity and reliability)
If this is to much I'm sorry about that but I genuinely want to know. I'm very willing to put the time and elbow grease into it. I have a helping hand but that's about it. I’ve been trying to do my own research and seen many videos rebuilding the engine bolt by bolt. My dad is mechanically knowledgeable but I wouldn't say either of us are experts in the slightest. Any help will help, please and thank you.

P.s Please ask me questions, I appreciate you're knowledge.
Put a replacement 2004 GT V8 [back] into the car if you want reliability.

There's no magic. Find a junk yard block, drop it off at an engine shop and get it rebuilt, and drop it in.

Put a replacement 2004 GT V8 [back] into the car if you want reliability.

There's no magic. Find a junk yard block, drop it off at an engine shop and get it rebuilt, and drop it in.
You wouldn’t say there’s magic in being able to engine swap and restore a non working vehicle for my first time working on a car. A shared experience with me friends and my step father? Honestly I get what you’re saying but we both know there a lot more to it.

Actually, check ebay motors... there are some aluminum blocks remanufactured for 01 cobra .20 overbore for 1599.00, just get the block, put on all your items and get it tuned... it should have a -2 to -4 cc pistons.... so compression will jump up to around 11.1 so will need a tune but gain 35-40hp accross the board and lose 70 lbs off the car... just some thoughts.. would need new head gaskets, chains, guides, and a few other pieces... reliable fun car with close to 280-300ish HP... add in some new cams and get over 300... Hope this helps..

Ed

Actually, check ebay motors... there are some aluminum blocks remanufactured for 01 cobra .20 overbore for 1599.00, just get the block, put on all your items and get it tuned... it should have a -2 to -4 cc pistons.... so compression will jump up to around 11.1 so will need a tune but gain 35-40hp accross the board and lose 70 lbs off the car... just some thoughts.. would need new head gaskets, chains, guides, and a few other pieces... reliable fun car with close to 280-300ish HP... add in some new cams and get over 300... Hope this helps..

Ed
The ECU and harness are not the same between the two cars/engines.

The short block bolts up the same...minus 1 hole on the valve covers you just plug with rtv...use the 2v heads, timing and valve covers, oil pan..pump, ect...all bolts up the same... read my build..I use an 01 cobra short block...all 2v hardware will bolt up with 1 or 2 small modifications..1 being the timing cover for rtv..as far as ecu..you just get it custom dyno tuned for reprogrmming...use the same harness... you have to replace the block anyway and is the cheapest and best way to do it..

Ed

The short block bolts up the same...minus 1 hole on the valve covers you just plug with rtv...use the 2v heads, timing and valve covers, oil pan..pump, ect...all bolts up the same... read my build..I use an 01 cobra short block...all 2v hardware will bolt up with 1 or 2 small modifications..1 being the timing cover for rtv..as far as ecu..you just get it custom dyno tuned for reprogrmming...use the same harness... you have to replace the block anyway and is the cheapest and best way to do it..