Hello All! - Need Shop Recommend for Maryland

Mydnyte

Jan 28, 2024
Maryland
I just joined the group, I'm a 2006 Mustang owner and just want to say HI to everyone. I'm gonna just jump right in lol. My car is having some issues. I have a leak and I've been told different things, rear main seal leak, power steering fluid, brake fluid and now I'm told the oil and coolant are mixing. I've been to different places trying to find the best mechanic but I always leave with a different answer. It sucks when you're a lady and you dont know....seems I get the run around or way tooo expensive quotes. Somebody PLEASE HELP!! Thanks in advance my new friends

• Sponsors (?)

Shop prices are scary thought, here is what I would do if I were female and have no automotive knowledge, find a automotive technical school near you and contact the teacher for a recommendation, co-workers can be helpful, sometimes, the car is old enough that there is likely more than one area that leaks, that model may have an oil cooler that is allowing coolant to mix with the oil. Pull the 'dip-stick' out and if the oil is milky that's likely coolant in the oil. That could be a devastating issue if you still drivin the car.
Is this a 8cylinder or 6? Miles?
Oh, welcome to :SN:

Let me ask you this... What is the purpose of the car? Is this a daily driver? Have you had it for a while or did you just get it? Has it been stored? How long?

How important to you is it that this car get fixed? If it's going to be a perpetual headache, is it in your best interest to get rid of it and get something else?

My thought process here is that you likely do not have the tools and resources to complete diagnostic maintenance. In order for us to help you, we will need eyes, and ears, and hands, to do all of the [things] necessary to determine what is wrong with your car.

What you need is a mechanic. A family friend, or somebody with enough time and tools to do the basics and help determine what needs to be done by a shop.

All of that aside, if you car was my car, I would already have that engine out and sitting on stand.

That should give you some idea of what you have to look forward to.

For a hobbyist... Not a big deal. If you have never been a mechanic of some sort, this is probably not your project.

rear main seal leak
Trans has to come out to replace seal
Good time for a new clutch if required
power steering fluid
Replace and combination of hoses, pump/reservoir, or steering rack

brake fluid
Master cylinder, or lines, or caliper

I'm told the oil and coolant are mixing
This is most likely a head gasket

I'm going to doctor up your thread title a little bit. Maybe somebody here knows a good mechanic in your area that can give you the straight scoop.

Thank you all for answering. I was told yesterday, i need a new motor. This will take care of the oil leak and the issue with broken small plastic pieces found in my oil pan. Supposedly, the pieces were found in my oil pan.
Would it be best for me to get a new motor OR will there continuously be more problems? I'm trying to hold onto my Baby, I don't want to let her go but I don't want it to be never ending problems. Should I fix or make that hard decision?

Shop prices are scary thought, here is what I would do if I were female and have no automotive knowledge, find a automotive technical school near you and contact the teacher for a recommendation, co-workers can be helpful, sometimes, the car is old enough that there is likely more than one area that leaks, that model may have an oil cooler that is allowing coolant to mix with the oil. Pull the 'dip-stick' out and if the oil is milky that's likely coolant in the oil. That could be a devastating issue if you still drivin the car.
Is this a 8cylinder or 6? Miles?
Oh, welcome to :SN:
Thank You! I'm going look for some automotive schools TODAY! Mannnn....I hope this will be the end if the run around for this issue and I can move on to getting her fixed properly and completely. Thanks Again!