2005 Mustang Black Box

Stang2k5

Oct 22, 2004
Every 2005 Mustang has this installed. It states it in the owners manual. This is what can happen if you speed on the streets with the 2005 Mustang:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scan152, November 15, 2004.jpg
    Scan152, November 15, 2004.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 759
  • Sponsors (?)

Moral of story: If you're going to drive @ 106 MPH, don't crash into anyone or anything.

The reason why black boxes were orignally installed in cars was so the manufacturers had some evidence to protect themselves when one of their customers does something stupid and then tries to blame the manufacturer..

thats ridiculous these things should be available to the owner and the manufacturer but the car companies are only hurting their customers by releasing these

and to the comment he got wat he deserved he made a mistake im sure u have speed before and i hardly think its fair to give every speeder 5 yrs in prison especially when you don't know the guy might have cut him off or done something stupid

this is a horrible accident but it was an accident not murder this man got more than he deserved and as for the relatives response it is only excusable because of her situation what she said was not true and i think its stupid to ruin two lives in this situation

bigred111 said:
this is a horrible accident but it was an accident not murder this man got more than he deserved and as for the relatives response it is only excusable because of her situation what she said was not true and i think its stupid to ruin two lives in this situation

it was an accident that ended in the other person dying. so no it was not murder, it was manslaughter. i think that 5 years in prision for killing someone is not more than he deserved. he was traveling at 106 MPH hits someone and kills them. he was being stupid in the first place.

The article does not really give insight into the crash, so you can't judge the man. You don't know the speed limit, and how the crash happened. I bet most StangNet members do not fully abide the laws. And all it takes for an accident to happen is less than a second. Besides this, he was at fault, and beacuse of that a life has been lost. :(

351CJ said:
Moral of story: If you're going to drive @ 106 MPH, don't crash into anyone or anything.

The reason why black boxes were orignally installed in cars was so the manufacturers had some evidence to protect themselves when one of their customers does something stupid and then tries to blame the manufacturer..

It's a good reason but I can see manufactures use it to protect themselves in situation where they are at fault.

As far as I know, this "black box" isnt just to help accident investigators... but its also a computer that records 5 seconds before an accident with speed, and 5 seconds after... its to calculate the amount of force the airbags are to be deployed.

If you are worried about these "black boxes" drive something with a carburator, or design a product that neuters the feature.

The thing I don't like with black boxes is you have no say over whether it gathers info or not. Supposedly it's for "crash test research" to make "safer" cars. But once the info is gathered it can be used against you in any civil or criminal case through subpeana. You can't stop it, once the info is there.

If you can make it voluntary, or make it so you can opt out of the "research" then I'd have no issue with it. Otherwise the techies amoungst us need to figure out how to neuter these "black boxes".

BTW - GM has had them for a few years now.