2005 Mustang GT & synthetic Oil

upstate

Oct 9, 2004
I want to run my Mustang GT until about 500 miles and then change the oil. I woulkd like to go to synthetic oil. Some have said wait till 1,000 miles till you go to synthetic oil. I don't understand this because the Corvette and Cobra R come from the factory with synthetic oil. Thus during the first miles. What do you think?
Second question if I go to synthetic oil and I go with Mobil 1 is 5w-30 OK or should I find 0W-20? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

upstate said:
I want to run my Mustang GT until about 500 miles and then change the oil. I woulkd like to go to synthetic oil. Some have said wait till 1,000 miles till you go to synthetic oil. I don't understand this because the Corvette and Cobra R come from the factory with synthetic oil. Thus during the first miles. What do you think?
Second question if I go to synthetic oil and I go with Mobil 1 is 5w-30 OK or should I find 0W-20? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

0W20 Mobil 1 is the direct equivalent for 5W20. I've been using it in my Mazda 6 (which also specifies 5W20) since the first oil change with no problem.

I know all European cars come from the factory with full synthetic oil.

Im going to put synthetic oil in my car after(when) I get my car.

I ran 0w-30 in my BMW, as do most European cars. If you go to the parts store and look. Mobile 1 labels the thier oil. 0w-30 says European car formula. And the rest all say what they are formulated for.

Look at Wal-mart for Mobile 1 oil. Its cheaper there. I could buy 7 quarts of oil ofr my car for like $30. And most parts stores wanted close to $40.

MadFish said:
I know all European cars come from the factory with full synthetic oil.

Im going to put synthetic oil in my car after(when) I get my car.

I ran 0w-30 in my BMW, as do most European cars. If you go to the parts store and look. Mobile 1 labels the thier oil. 0w-30 says European car formula. And the rest all say what they are formulated for.

Look at Wal-mart for Mobile 1 oil. Its cheaper there. I could buy 7 quarts of oil ofr my car for like $30. And most parts stores wanted close to $40.

The Walmarts in my area don't carry Mobil 1 0W20. I wish they did for the reasons you state. They do carry 0W30 but that isn't the equivalent of 5W20.

TomServo92 said:
The Walmarts in my area don't carry Mobil 1 0W20. I wish they did for the reasons you state. They do carry 0W30 but that isn't the equivalent of 5W20.

Thats weird. The wal-marts near me all sell 5w-20. Sometimes they have 0w-30. Most of the time I have to ask for it and they have to order some in for me.

MadFish said:
Thats weird. The wal-marts near me all sell 5w-20. Sometimes they have 0w-30. Most of the time I have to ask for it and they have to order some in for me.

They sell some 5W20 in other brands but they don't have the Mobil 1 in 0W20. I have to buy it at an auto parts store.

upstate said:

I waited until I hit 1500 before I went with Royal Purple and have been very pleased with it, but it would have probably been better if I had waited until 3000 miles. :nice:

Mobil one is a solid choice, but wait to 3000 miles.

Change with dino oil at 500, then to a partial synthetic at 1000....... run that until 3000 then dump and replace with the full synthetic.

You want the engine to be properly "worn in" especially the rings.
If you switch too early you could doom your car to lower power and increased oil consumption for good.

Edit:

Found a quote from your owners manual that applies:

From the 2005 Mustang Owner's manual:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during
the first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation, since these
additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
usage.

"When new cars come form the factory with synthetic oil the cylinder walls are honed to different specification, for ring sealing. I suggest waiting until 1000 miles to go to synthetic and go with the same weight (at least to start with)".

Thanks that is where my confusion comes in, I did not know this. At about 200 miles I'll have the dealer perform my free oil/filter and then at 1,000 I'll go to mobil 1, 0W-20. Thanks :hail2:

romans8:28 said:
Found a quote from your owners manual that applies:

From the 2005 Mustang Owner's manual:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during
the first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation, since these
additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
usage.

I believe they are referring to things like Slick 50, not synthetic oils like Mobil 1. The section mentioned above that refers to oil usage states to only use an oil that meets a certain Ford spec (which Mobil 1 0w20 does).

Paul Pysher said:
So your are saying mobil 1 oil is better than castrol or vavoline sytecs

On the Mazda 6 forum where I spend alot of time, there is whole section dedicated to used oil analysis. Based upon the analysis of the used oils, the two best synthetics are Mobil 1 and Amsoil, with Mobil 1 getting the nod as being slightly better (and easier to get since you can buy it at Walmart).

TomServo92 said:
I believe they are referring to things like Slick 50, not synthetic oils like Mobil 1. The section mentioned above that refers to oil usage states to only use an oil that meets a certain Ford spec (which Mobil 1 0w20 does).

I respectfully disagree..... synthetic oil is itself a friction modifier (by default) but in either case pay attention to the "why" in Fords statement (piston ring seating), then consider what Mobil one prevents the engine from doing.

I respectfully disagree..... synthetic oil is itself a friction modifier (by default) but in either case pay attention to the "why" in Fords statement (piston ring seating), then consider what Mobil one prevents the engine from doing.

And I respectfully disagree with you. If they didn't want you to use synthetic for the first 1000 miles, they'd say so. That's why there is are two separate sections in owners manual: one for friction modifiers and one for motor oil. Friction modifiers are things like teflon whereas Mobil 1 contains no teflon. It's just exceptionally good motor oil.

TomServo92 said:
And I respectfully disagree with you. If they didn't want you to use synthetic for the first 1000 miles, they'd say so. That's why there is are two separate sections in owners manual: one for friction modifiers and one for motor oil. Friction modifiers are things like teflon whereas Mobil 1 contains no teflon. It's just exceptionally good motor oil.

Intresting, but I still disagree (not about waht the manual is saying) about using it to soon.

Mobil one (look at a bottle) advertises "Supersyn Antiwear Technology"

The oil includes "antiwear" modifiers specifically designed to prevent engine component wear. Once again I refer you to what the Ford owners manual states about proper engine break in/ring seating. I am suggesting that for the same reason you would not want to use a "slick 50", you would not want to use a synthetic motor oil to soon. After a couple thousand mile I wouldnt run anything else. I love mobil one personally and use it in everything.

Intresting, but I still disagree (not about waht the manual is saying) about using it to soon.

Mobil one (look at a bottle) advertises "Supersyn Antiwear Technology"

The oil includes "antiwear" modifiers specifically designed to prevent engine component wear. Once again I refer you to what the Ford owners manual states about proper engine break in/ring seating. I am suggesting that for the same reason you would not want to use a "slick 50", you would not want to use a synthetic motor oil to soon. After a couple thousand mile I wouldnt run anything else. I love mobil one personally and use it in everything.

Cars come straight from the factory with synthetic. AMG, BMW M, Porsche, and GM's Corvette come factory filled with Mobil 1. I feel that it's fine to put Mobil 1 or comparable synthetics in at low mileage. If the rings didn't seat properly, do you think the companies listed above would use it as factory fill? I will be putting M1 in my Mustang at 500 miles or 3000.

max2000jp said:
Cars come straight from the factory with synthetic. AMG, BMW M, Porsche, and GM's Corvette come factory filled with Mobil 1. I feel that it's fine to put Mobil 1 or comparable synthetics in at low mileage. If the rings didn't seat properly, do you think the companies listed above would use it as factory fill? I will be putting M1 in my Mustang at 500 miles or 3000.

Exactly! Also Mobil 1 meets the spec outlined by Ford (WSS-M2C930-A) as the correct motor oil for the 4.6L engine which means it can be used at the first oil change.

Just because other makers may use it as factory fill means nothing to your FORD, and just because it meets the Ford spec for oil does not mean it does not have additives that ADVERSELY affect the ring seating procedure.

Why don't you call your Ford service advisor or customer hotline since you refuse to trust my recommendation, and see what they say about "synthetics" during the break in period.

you can lead a horse to water............

BTW,
Exactly why are you determined to use the Mobil One at 500 miles, what are you hoping to accomplish by doing so? I use it to preclude engine wear, of course my rings are properly seated because my engine is fully broken in (which Ford does not do during manufacture, unlike your synthetic fill auto makers)

Just because other makers may use it as factory fill means nothing to your FORD, and just because it meets the Ford spec for oil does not mean it does not have additives that ADVERSELY affect the ring seating procedure.

Why don't you call your Ford service advisor or customer hotline since you refuse to trust my recommendation, and see what they say about "synthetics" during the break in period.

you can lead a horse to water............

BTW,
Exactly why are you determined to use the Mobil One at 500 miles, what are you hoping to accomplish by doing so? I use it to preclude engine wear, of course my rings are properly seated because my engine is fully broken in (which Ford does not do during manufacture, unlike your synthetic fill auto makers)

Why should I blindly trust your recommendation when I have my own experience to rely on?

FYI, I asked my Mazda service advisor if using Mobil 1 at the first oil change was a problem and he said "No problem". In case your wondering, my Mazda has a 3.0L Duratec engine in it. I'm sure if you call your service advisor or the customer hotline they'll tell you exactly what I've been saying: "Use an oil that meets the specification outlined in the owners manual".

And you're absolutely right, you can lead horse to water....

I'm assuming the last part wasn't directed at me since I've never said anything about changing the oil at 500. The owners manual says to let it break in for the first 1,000 miles which would be earliest I would do anything regarding the motor oil.

EDIT: I re-read my earlier posts and I did allude to using synthetic within the first 1,000 miles. I meant at 1,000 miles as I stated above.