2007 GT Auto VS 5 spd

black95gts5.0

Jun 16, 2005
Ok I have a 95 GT with a 5spd and am looking at a 2007 GT that I can get a killer deal on. The drawback on this is that the car is an automatic and as per what I know you don't really want an auto for performance. The track records on mustang auto's isn't that great. What is the new 5spd auto like in the new mustangs? is it worth having or no?? . I really think that a performance car should have a 5spd, but the girlfriend will drive this car also. Any opinions are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Thank God for the 5spd auto, my friend has one and I would say it's not all that slower then my manual. They respon just as well to mods and as for strength Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine has 06 GT runing mid 11's and its an auto. The guys that work on the car for them say the weakness in the auto trans is timing of shift change, you have to tune it PERFECTLY or it will fail rather quickly, however it can handle the power if tuned right. :D

Are there any differences in the engine on the cars or is that all the same? thanks for the posts. I still don't know but we will see if anyone else has anything to add. thanks again.
Wade

I love my auto:nice: I almost always keep it in D(one time in the twisties I shifted a couple of times)with O/D off when running her hard. After you add gears and a tune these autos run great. This past Sunday at the track, 2 of my runs I brake revved it to just over 1000 RPM and it spun all the way into 3rd killing my runs with factory tires.

On the street it behaves nicely, but you do have to be ready for the half throttle+ take offs as it will try to give you whiplash:D
Here are the 2 slips showing my best ET and MPH. Not bad for the few mods I have plus weight reduction on 100% stock suspension and tires:D
Run4.jpg

Run5.jpg

Attachments

• Run4.jpg
    Run4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Run5.jpg
    Run5.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 119
There are several automatic S197's running excellent times. Look @ Kooldawg's slips! (nvm, i see he posted above LOL)

Yeah and not to mention, for next season, I will be adding UDPs, Spydershaft DS, MT ET Streets and possibly delete plates. I will be running mid 12s:nice: Still not a terrible amount of bolt ons and have a 20+ MPG cruising car:D

The automatic is good. I'm satisfied with it. I didn't do any tune for fear of messing something up. It will get you in as much trouble as a stick. I like disabling the o/d in city driving as well as take-offs.

Just today, I did a pretty fast accel onto the freeway and a CHP was on me. Good thing I backed off in time. Whew.

Looks like you're looking for reasons to get an automatic when what you really want is a stick. All things equal, what would it cost you if you found one wiith a stick?

Certainly no draw-backs to the auto from what you can see here... but if you enjoy your 95 GT 5-speed don't pass up the opportunity to test drive an '07. I don't have much experience with older mustangs but I do with older Ford stickshifts and the shifter on this one (while not perfect) is a large improvement.

I've owned 6 Mustangs, and my 2007 GT is the first one with an automatic. Great transmission and I don't miss the stick shift as much as I thought I might. Because the 2005+ uses a 5-speed automatic (instead of 4 like before), the gear spacing is very similar to the manuals so acceleration is about the same.

I've done just a couple mods to my 07 GT automatic, and it is plenty quick at the drag strip for what little I've done to it (see sig for list)...

60' times in the 1.80's,
330' times in the 5.40's,
1/8 mile times in the 8.40's
1000' times in the 11.10's
1/4 mile times in the 13.30's

Best 1/4 mile ET so far has been 13.28, with the best 1/4 mile mph at 102.92 twice on different runs.

You can select all 5 gears seperately if you need to hold a gear in the corners, or hold revs longer, so the only real difference versus a stick shift is the lack of a clutch pedal.

I went from an 05 auto that really ran hard and fast.now have the new 07 manual five speed and I like it better than the auto, especially afer taking her out to the local "testing' area" amd put her thru the gears...foot fully into it It's faster thanmy 05 auto.ust my 2 cents worth.:D