2008 Model Build-Off

Brake fluid...

I did a "test" with it as I assumed it would eat the plastic. I had a model soaking in it for a year (yes one year) and can honestly say it did nothing to the plastic. Didn't warp or weaken it, the only issue you might have it getting it clean enough for paint to stick again.

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone got any progress? I realized i missed the first part of this thread about the rules and i don't have any pics of my kit before i started so maybe i'm disqualified?

I took a break from my Cobra to work on my GT500 a little, just build up the engine some while my Cobra body is stripping. Here's some pics of that engine. I might do another Cobra and put this engine in it.

P2100007.jpg

P2100011.jpg

P2100008.jpg

Attachments

• P2100007.jpg
    P2100007.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 78
  • P2100011.jpg
    P2100011.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 84
  • P2100008.jpg
    P2100008.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 77
Any of you ever think about trying to build a Gundam Wing model? I used to build them back when i was heavy into modeling but they're super expensive. The typical models are about $35 but the serious ones with 500 pieces or more are as much as $200. I used to build them and fill/sand all the seams so they don't have any molding lines...they're pretty amazing models. They're fully articulate once they're finished.

Here's one that i always wanted to do but never could justify the price. It has a fully detailed inner skeleton and then armor that goes on outside of that.

http://www.gundamshop.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=Gundam-Perfect-Grade&Product_Count=3

I went and dug out my old Gundam models today and one of them was almost finished so i went ahead and put the last bit together. I'm gonna do some detail work on it but you get the idea. He's about 6 inches tall.

View attachment 330809

Yeah, that Super Clean apparently isn't tough enough to eat off Tamiya Color spray paint, so i ended up just using paint thinner and a toothbrush. Then my bumper came unglued and since i didn't like how it fit i had to shape of that and remount it. That's pretty much where i'm at, ready to respray the body and then work on getting my wheels mounted and get the stance right. I have a feeling that the nose is going to sit higher than i want it to and i'm going to have to cut and adjust the front axle pieces or something.

Yeah, that Super Clean apparently isn't tough enough to eat off Tamiya Color spray paint, so i ended up just using paint thinner and a toothbrush. Then my bumper came unglued and since i didn't like how it fit i had to shape of that and remount it. That's pretty much where i'm at, ready to respray the body and then work on getting my wheels mounted and get the stance right. I have a feeling that the nose is going to sit higher than i want it to and i'm going to have to cut and adjust the front axle pieces or something.

Are you doing the 93 Cobra? I built that model when they sold it in the original packaging. I can post some pictures if you want to see how it turned out so you can get an idea of how it will look. Also, check the fitment of the headers on your Shelby engine to see if they fit. I had put the headers on before the starter and it wouldn't fit in the position you have yours. I had to turn the starter so that the part where the cable would connect was on the bottom.

I have stripped all the paint, primer and putty off mine and have began smothing it out for a re-paint. I haven't touched it in a fw days though.

My friend Russell is having the Mustang Notch body built out of resin, if you are interested in getting one please PM me for his email address.

Are you doing the 93 Cobra? I built that model when they sold it in the original packaging. I can post some pictures if you want to see how it turned out so you can get an idea of how it will look. Also, check the fitment of the headers on your Shelby engine to see if they fit. I had put the headers on before the starter and it wouldn't fit in the position you have yours. I had to turn the starter so that the part where the cable would connect was on the bottom.

That would figure. What's with the manifolds for this engine anyways? They're pretty lame even if they are stock correct. That heater vent tube coming off the header on the passenger side...if you do the race version like i did then what is that supposed to go to??

That would figure. What's with the manifolds for this engine anyways? They're pretty lame even if they are stock correct. That heater vent tube coming off the header on the passenger side...if you do the race version like i did then what is that supposed to go to??

You must have a different model than me because mine did not come with that intake. I just assumed you were using parts from another model. I was trying to do everything original so I found a couple sites with reference pictures. If they didn't give you another header without that, I would just cut it off.

I'm doing the '93 Cobra but that engine up above is from a '69 GT500...the body looks just like the one you're doing. Maybe you have a different version of mine, mine is a 2-in-1 and actually came with 3 sets of rims (i bought it specifically for one set for my Cobra). It has the manifolds for the stock style engine build up but no other set for the race build up. That's why there's no headers on it yet...plus i might buy another Cobra and put that engine in it.

Yeah. The version I have is just a stock one. I didn't know they made a 2-in-1 GT500. That's pretty cool. I like those because you always have parts left over.

Exactly.

I just sprayed my body...i thought it had a couple really bad spots but i was able to bury them under a few coats. It's still not perfect but there's no chance in hell i'm stripping it down and doing it again. I should be able to glue the interior in and start working on getting the chassis and everything together tomorrow and then start on the wheels.

If you've got pics of a finished Cobra i'd love to see them!

Also for anyone who's done a 2 tone paint theme....i'm thinking about doing one but i would really love to avoid seeing the layers of paint...so aside from trying to bury them under 10 coats of clear, how can i get it smooth? Also what masking tape is there that'll give you a perfectly crisp line between the two without lifting the base color?

Here's my 93 Cobra. I thought the overall fitment was good. The aero nose must be hard to get right, but I think this kit is the best I have seen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Copy of Club Repair 072.jpg
    Copy of Club Repair 072.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 135
Also for anyone who's done a 2 tone paint theme....i'm thinking about doing one but i would really love to avoid seeing the layers of paint...so aside from trying to bury them under 10 coats of clear, how can i get it smooth? Also what masking tape is there that'll give you a perfectly crisp line between the two without lifting the base color?

here is the 70 stang i did for that last build off that never went anywhere. I did the two tone by just priming the car body white, i taped off for the stripe with just some thin tape i got from the hobby shop that is much thinner than "scotch tape" etc to help reduce paint lines. I did two coats of the gray and two of the orange with two coats of the clear it said to use. i lightly wet sanded the body and buffed it out by hand. i know its kinda hard to tell in the pics but there is no paint line

DSCF2134.jpg

DSCF2111.jpg

DSCF2107.jpg