289 pulleys on a 351w

no_3

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2002
Hi guys, can someone tell if it's ok to use the upper and lower pulleys off my old 289 on my 351w? I know they fit as I was able to bolt them on with no problems, but a guy I work with said to be sure that they arn't ment to be some kind of special radius.

• Sponsors (?)

I think all 351's use a 4 bolt balancer, 289's and early 302's(up to 69 maybe) are 3 bolt. If the bolt count is the same, it should work. You could (though I've never done it) use a 289 balancer on a 351. I'm pretty sure they line up the same, but you'd want to examine the woodruff key and counterbalance location on each to make sure. You could use your 289 timing cover, water pump, alternator brackets, and timing pointer if the balancer swaps out ok, which would make things real easy for you.

Sorry guys--incorrect information is being distributed.

The factory 351w balancer in 1969 is of the 3 bolt design, similar to a 289 and a pre 70' 302. In 1970 Ford went to the 4 bolt balancer and pulleys across the board on the sbf and directed the water pump outlet to the drivers side.

The 289 pulleys work fine on a 351w if you use all the original 69' and earlier stuff (timing cover, pulleys, balancer, waterpump, radiator and the 351w alternator brackets-289 brackets won't work.) One simple mod may be needed though. The 289 crank pulley has a raised center lip that will not set flush on most 351 balancers. That lip can be removed successfully on a lathe or the 289 balancer itself could be installed since it has the same imbalance (28oz) as all 351w's. Timing marks will be correct if a 69' or earlier sbf timing cover is being used. If you try to mix and match early and late stuff, then you will most likely run into difficulties.

As an example, my 1989 351w block uses all the afore mentioned 289 front parts and there are no alignment problems.

dennis112 said:
Sorry guys--incorrect information is being distributed.

The factory 351w balancer in 1969 is of the 3 bolt design, similar to a 289 and a pre 70' 302. In 1970 Ford went to the 4 bolt balancer and pulleys across the board on the sbf and directed the water pump outlet to the drivers side.

Actually, the 351w went to 4 bolt during the production year in 1969. Early cars have 3 bolt, later have 4 bolt.

Thanks guys, I must have the early production setup.
The crank pulley does indeed have the above mentioned lip, fortunatly it fits into the balancer flush. It was cool to hear all that information, thanks guys!